Getting Into Mentalism + Expanding My Card Magic

Hey everyone, it has been a long time since I have posted here. I do a lot of card magic and it is beginning to all seem the same to me. I do some store-bought tricks, but all i really have in my arsenal are card tricks that are similar to each other. I want to get into to Mentalism. I know i should buy Thirteen steps to Mentalism. Right now all I really do is thumb nail writer tricks. What are some other products that will immerse me in more Mentalism? Also, How can I expand my card magic beyond Force card tricks and card revelation tricks.?

Hey everyone, it has been a long time since I have posted here. I do a lot of card magic and it is beginning to all seem the same to me. I do some store-bought tricks, but all i really have in my arsenal are card tricks that are similar to each other. I want to get into to Mentalism. I know i should buy Thirteen steps to Mentalism. Right now all I really do is thumb nail writer tricks. What are some other products that will immerse me in more Mentalism? Also, How can I expand my card magic beyond Force card tricks and card revelation tricks.?

You now have a choice: Magic or Mentalism. You can´t have both!

Mikk.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway

Mikk.

I'm not mr. Mentalism, but I am going to call you out on this one. I don't see why you couldn't. Last I checked, Richard Osterlind carried out various seeming 'magic effects' with mentalism undertones.

I will agree though, that it is a long road. And if you really embark upon it, then you're going to have to dismiss a lot of your current mindset.

It's a hole notha levul.

G

Mar 17, 2009
There are a number of books out there that im sure will be very helpful to you, but, as i am by no means an expert on Mentalsim i will leave it to someone more qualified to respond to you on that part of your question. I would however, bring your attention to Kevin Parkers new published effect, ''thought of card to spectators pocket'', from his ''Superior Pysche'' e-book. This is a mentalism effect that uses cards.I must say, having looked at the description of the effect i was initially skeptical, and when i purchased the book and saw the method i was VERY skeptical and a little disappointed! However, since performing it i have had almost 100% success rate and im telling you, man it just blows them away! Seriously!! Its my favourite new addition to my repetoire and i use it all the time now! Although, of course, i would still highly recommend reading some of the classic mentalism books to create a firm base for yourself, i just thought this simple effect might satisfy your craving for something new and stop you from getting bored in the meantime!

Hope this helps,

Tommy

Sep 1, 2007

Mikk.

You can do both, most big mentalists in the past did. Both Kreskin and Dunninger did anayway. So does Osterlind, as already mentioned.

I am a professional mentalist and people often contact me for advice on getting started in mentalism. Here's a great way to start...

You know there's a book called Corinda's 13 Steps To Mentalism. Buy a copy. And then don't buy anything else. In fact, take all the money that you were thinking of spending on other books and tricks and tapes and props over the next year. Put it all back in your bank account except for 10%, and send that 10% to me for this advice I am giving. This advice is worth it. I've just saved you lots and lots and lots of money.

Study Corinda. Using just that book, get yourself to the stage where, if you want to, you can entertain people for 10 minutes at a party.

That's all. That's the target. To be able to do 10 minutes at a party, among friends or strangers, anytime you want - with confidence, and so that you enjoy it and they enjoy it and you all have a good time. This is not easy. It's an ambitious target, and it will take time. But it's a wonderful feeling when you get there!

IF you can get that far, using just Corinda, then you can start spreading your wings, buying other stuff, learning some other material. By then, you'll have developed enough good judgement to know what's worth buying and what isn't.

IF you can not get that far, then may I suggest you just give up. Go and do something else. There's no point buying and reading other stuff, because none of it will do you any good. You'll never get anywhere. At least not in mentalism.

Apr 1, 2009
California
You can be whatever you want to be. I could never see why one could not do both Mentalism and Magic. They almost go hand in hand... in my opinion, magic gives the mentalism something for the spectator to visualize a little easier, so it is a great tool. Mentalism also helps a great deal in your magic. I'm trying to, in my head, create a scenario where it would be weird to be both... can't find one.

Anyway, Corinda's book arrived today. as well as another. I highly second any and every recommendation that comes by. I had my doubts about mentalism. I was very judgmental at times about it. This book shattered much of what I had once pre conceived.

As far as going beyond card forces and revelations.. what are you looking for? Something to do with mentalism? Or just in general with cards? I suggest you look into Paul Harris material. He's got plenty of off the wall ideas with cards that might interest you. Some of it could in fact be used in mentalism routines as well.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
SleightofCards, firstly, welcome back.

I think there are a few things that need to be said in regards to your post. Firstly, I will simply say this: before you perform mentalism, you must come to an understanding of what mentalism actually is. That is, get an idea of what's out there. So I would recommend that you simply do some research about mentalism, who's big at the moment, who have been the giants of the past, what they've written and done, etc. Just like any professional sportsman must know his sport inside and out, so too does the performer need to know his craft. Understand what you're performing, and how - things like persona, for example. Otherwise, you can't possibly do well with mentalism.

Secondly. The most recommended starting point for mentalists are twofold: 13 Steps to Mentalism, Corinda, and Fundamentals, Bob Cassidy. 13 Steps is a good resource to teach you just some of the things that can be done. It's an excellent instruction manual which gives you an overview of effects in various areas. Fundamentals teaches you how to be a mentalist, as well as mentalism effects, which is just as important. It's the Tarbell of mentalism, I would even go so far as to say.

Thirdly. Don't neglect the nail writing! I talk to a lot of magicians, and something a lot of people ask me is my routine: what do I perform, what do I open with, what do I close with. Actually, if you look in Corinda, look in Step One, the very first effect in Corinda, which consists of the spectator naming a number, and the mentalist nail writes the number and reveals it. That's my closer. And I tell magicians as much. And without fail, they say, "What? Is that your closer? It doesn't sound strong enough." And that's after I tell them how it's done. Before I tell them that, they all stand there agape, asking, "Is it 100%? Is the method for sale?" etc. That's my closer. If you read through the description, it's nothing. It's the sort of thing you read over and forget. But it's one of the strongest effects I perform. Why? Presentation. Especially with mentalism, presentation is so, so important. It's not "only" a nail writing trick. It's one of the hardest hitting effects I perform. Simply because I've created a good presentation out of it. So don't ever dismiss things simply because they look like they are too simple, or easy, or don't have potential. When you get down to it, all of the strongest effects in your repertoire will be the ones you take for yourself and dig out their potential from nowhere.

I'm not mr. Mentalism, but I am going to call you out on this one. I don't see why you couldn't. Last I checked, Richard Osterlind carried out various seeming 'magic effects' with mentalism undertones.

I will agree though, that it is a long road. And if you really embark upon it, then you're going to have to dismiss a lot of your current mindset.

It's a hole notha levul.

G

Sorry for giving a bit of a false statement.
What i was trying to say was that you cannot perform both at the same time!
Doing a mental routine where you say you are going to influence them with per say cards and then do a card handling routine will destroy your influence.

Supernaturealone said: I am a professional mentalist and people often contact me for advice on getting started in mentalism.

Why do you say that every time?
And how do you define being professional?
The fact that you perform only your material or that you perform at gigs?

I its the first part then hands down you have gone a long way but if the second one than i should start putting that at the start of my advice replys.
This is nothing insulting towards you, dont´t get me wrong please. But it just kinda looses me when you say that because i get a feeling that you are saying that the other mentalists here are not Professional.

Again nothing insulting towards you, just my thought of it.

Mikk.

Sep 1, 2007
Sorry for giving a bit of a false statement.
What i was trying to say was that you cannot perform both at the same time!
Doing a mental routine where you say you are going to influence them with per say cards and then do a card handling routine will destroy your influence.

Supernaturealone said: I am a professional mentalist and people often contact me for advice on getting started in mentalism.

Why do you say that every time?
And how do you define being professional?
The fact that you perform only your material or that you perform at gigs?

I its the first part then hands down you have gone a long way but if the second one than i should start putting that at the start of my advice replys.
This is nothing insulting towards you, dont´t get me wrong please. But it just kinda looses me when you say that because i get a feeling that you are saying that the other mentalists here are not Professional.

Again nothing insulting towards you, just my thought of it.

Mikk.

Mr. Madman, those are great questions!

I say that everytime to convey that I know a thing a two about mentalism. I define being a professional by both creating and performing my own material, as well as perfoming gigs.

I am not saying that other mentalists here are not professional. I don't know that. I have never heard of anyone else stating that they were or not.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Mr. Madman, those are great questions!

I say that everytime to convey that I know a thing a two about mentalism. I define being a professional by both creating and performing my own material, as well as perfoming gigs.

I am not saying that other mentalists here are not professional. I don't know that. I have never heard of anyone else stating that they were or not.

You can convey that you are a professional mentalist without blatantly saying every time. Otherwise it just seems silly to say it in every post. You might has as well say "I am a Human and live on planet Earth." in every post too. Just to get the point across.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results