New to theory11

Sep 15, 2009
hello everyone im new here to the forums. this is my first post and i have a few questions. ok so im not new to magic i've been doing it for a while and mastered a fair few dvds and books. i'm looking forward to my first purchase from theory11. What does anyone here suggest, maybe something that teaches multiple effects?
so what are your opinions?

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Hi arto, welcome to T11! Good to see you posting for the first time.

Honestly, I know a lot of people will ask, "What is your skill level? What have you mastered?" as first questions, and I see you've tried to answer that, but I think that's pretty useless, largely because most magicians are absolutely shocking at judging their own skill levels, and usually overjudge themselves.

So, that said, I'll simply comment on some of the products that fit your description: magic DVDs which teach a compilation of effects.

There are three which fit this profile: Trilogy, Dangerous, and Symphony.

I don't have Symphony, but I've heard good things about it. Have a dig around in the reviews section for good reviews on all three.

I strongly dislike Trilogy. I feel that the nature of D&D magic suits itself for performances for magicians rather than laymen. I feel that their construction of card magic is inherently flawed, and that they quite simply, through their visual style, leave very little room for achieving true magic.

I'd rate Dangerous a bit better. Although d+M doesn't seem to be big on the whole "talking" thing, I feel that the effects on Dangerous have much more potential. Moreover, there are lessons to be learned from Dangerous that extend beyond how to perform sleights, which, as any decent magician would know, is far more important.

So purely on your criteria, I'd go with Dangerous.

Sep 15, 2009
oh sorry i forgot to metion my style.
ok basically i really like card magic and if you want to know what i've mastered, the main dvds are crash course 1 +2 from ellusionist. i'll look into these 3 things you have suggested thanks.

Oct 26, 2008
Minnesota
Hi arto, welcome to T11! Good to see you posting for the first time.

Honestly, I know a lot of people will ask, "What is your skill level? What have you mastered?" as first questions, and I see you've tried to answer that, but I think that's pretty useless, largely because most magicians are absolutely shocking at judging their own skill levels, and usually overjudge themselves.

So, that said, I'll simply comment on some of the products that fit your description: magic DVDs which teach a compilation of effects.

There are three which fit this profile: Trilogy, Dangerous, and Symphony.

I don't have Symphony, but I've heard good things about it. Have a dig around in the reviews section for good reviews on all three.

I strongly dislike Trilogy. I feel that the nature of D&D magic suits itself for performances for magicians rather than laymen. I feel that their construction of card magic is inherently flawed, and that they quite simply, through their visual style, leave very little room for achieving true magic.

I'd rate Dangerous a bit better. Although d+M doesn't seem to be big on the whole "talking" thing, I feel that the effects on Dangerous have much more potential. Moreover, there are lessons to be learned from Dangerous that extend beyond how to perform sleights, which, as any decent magician would know, is far more important.

So purely on your criteria, I'd go with Dangerous.

I completely agree. Trilogy was the first DVD set I ever bought. I made me nautious how hard some of the slieghts are. I got discouraged from it. But, Trilogy has always given me things to strive for. Hozzy Fozzy, Subway, there are some truely beautiful effects that, when performed correctly, blow people out of the water.

Symphony was a nice little DVD. Timeline 2.0(whistles as making a finger twirl) is a great effect. Great teaching, great effects. I just need to break down and get the effects polished. I give it a thumbs up.

Dangerous is what I'm working on at the moment. Great card effects. I use them regulary. I can't believe I had to go get an Ace tattooed just for one effect though (jk). But, the effects and flourishes learned on those two discs are what I perform just about everyday.

The Art of Magic by Wayne Houchin. wow. If I could recommend a DVD to pick up...this would be it. Great effects. Carbon Paper, and French Kiss!! Are you serious? He should be charging double for this DVD.

SOoooo to recap: Art of magic to get you going. Dangerous to add a whole lotta tricks and flourishes to you rep. Symphony to get you some jaw dropping effects. Then finish it off with some of the more difficult effects...Trilogy.

have a good one.

Sep 15, 2009
ok art of magic it is looks awsome, french kiss does look like agreat affect and match bite? well i've always wanted to know that one.

thanks man,

peace.

Sep 4, 2009
Definately get art of magic, even though its not from theory11. Also, look at the 1 on 1's, they have pretty good stuff.

Prophet is easy and instantly resetable, if you like money

Symphony id also recommend, it has 5 great ieces of magic, and they all not oo difficult

If you can get your hands on panic try to do so

Also distortion is one of my favorites.

Hope that helps :)

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
Welcome! If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Since you're at the CC2 level, I'd recommend the Trilogy as well as some of the 1-on-1's. Five Speed by Chris Kenner is a spectacular purchase, as well as some of the changes on here, like Commercial by the Bucks, which is outstanding. The Trilogy is the best value for a large purchase, and 5 Speed gets my quickie recommendation.

Hope this helped!

Ian

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
Welcome to the forums! I'll second some of the others here and say Symphony would be a great selection, in this case.

Look forward to seeing more posts from you! Please do not hesitate to contact me personally (or any other moderator, for that matter) should you ever have any questions, suggestions, concerns, etc.

:cool:

Jul 25, 2009
ok art of magic it is looks awsome, french kiss does look like agreat affect and match bite? well i've always wanted to know that one.

thanks man,

peace.

ok matchbite is a great little impromtu effect (if you can find matches :rolleyes:) within the last 2 weeks i performed it 7 times to the same people (i had alot of sleepovers :D) and everytime the reactions were :eek: how did you do that?!?!.
french kiss i performed once to my friend killer reactions. still havn't performed for a girl...yet
I also highly recommend art of magic

These people seem to know what they are talking about.
Art of magic is great
So is Symphony, (I love .44)

I love card magic, but fancy flourishes doesn't really fit my style so I stay away form Trilogy.

I would suggest looking at the 1on1s. Some great card and coin material in there. My fist Theory11 purchase was Witness, and I still perform it all the time...great effect and rather simple to do.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results