Wal-Mart FTW

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
Wal-Mart For The Lose... sorry very cool you got a gig working there! i just work night shift at Wal-Mart and HATE that store BUT i am ditching tonight so i can set up a table and perform at a local flea market tomorrow. but congrats!!

Someone is going to lose thier job. Yeah this guy saw me perform and said if I want to perform at a flea market, but I said I wasn't ready.

Oct 26, 2008
Minnesota
my next gig

My next gig is at a church. That should be interesting.

Watch! With the power of SATAN I make your card rise to the top of the deck....AGAIN.

Yeah yeah, I know that there have been countless threads about "upcoming gig!!! tips?" But im just posting this to brag about. Because I'm going to perform at WAL-MART

Beat that!

Im performing next to the shoes and lencery section.And Im taking my camera with me ;). How cool is that?

P.S Joking aside, I have my material ready and I know wich routines to perform, any tips on how to handle audiences and how should I approach them? thanks.

First off congrats on getting the gig. It's really a surprising thing that Wal-Mart is branching out and considering the use of magicians inside the store. Props.

Now let's get down to business. You may want to google "Tradeshow Magician" or search that out in Youtube, because that's about what the situation is that you're going to be in.

Also youtube "Pitchmen" and "Bally Talkers" or "Sideshow Barkers" and watch how they draw a crowd. People like the Sham Wow guy, or Billy Mays (RIP). Sales Pitch People are REALLY good at drawing an audience. You should have an easier time because unlike a pitchman, you're not out to take money from the people.

Always be aware of your surounding. Allways bally to everyone to come and participate. Select audience participation from those who happen to be walking by, or on the out skirts observing. That way you continually draw the crowd in more. And always keep a fluid motion from one moment to the next.

Don't make the mistake of dismissing an audience if you get one. Take a moment to reset if need be but keep it going so long as people keep coming up to you.

If the store is having any kind of sale, or event going on, learn about it. Then plug it during your show.

"By the way folks, just so you know, there's a buy one get one free in the men's shoes today. Ask a friendly employee if you have questions. ...And for my next effect" So forth and so on.

Don't be shy. Go after people. Once you have a small audience then you don't have to worry. The audience will grow in numbers as your show goes on by defalt. It's just what mobs of people do. They get bigger. It's just getting that initial few people to get it started that's the hardest part.

Best of luck to you man! Let me know how it goes.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Thanks a lot Draven, just a small question:

I have been thinking, what if I call out some friends( who actually enjoy watching me perform) and use them as "base for a crowd" make them stand towards me so people will not get ashamed of getting close.?

Jan 10, 2008
First off brother, lemme just say congratulations! I think that is awesome that you landed such a gig. You are extremely blessed, because not just anybody can do this type of gig. In order for a manager to hire you, they have to go through corporate workers, and trust me that is hard to do! You did it though! I am looking forward to hearing how it turns out though; these are really tough costumers that you are going to be working for. If you bomb, so what... it is indeed a lesson learned, but if you succeed; then brother, you could make it anywhere! I hope you succeed!

I'll pray for you,
David

May 31, 2008
Wal-Mart is evil, but congrats on getting the gig. I wish I could give some advice, but I can't, so please accept this good luck charm, print it out, tie some string to it and wear it.

Once again congratulations, and good luck.

May 9, 2008
Wal-Mart is evil

No having good business sense and being successful does not make you evil. Neither does being rich. I'm sick of people calling successful businesses evil. McDonalds is evil, Microsoft is evil, Wal-Mart is evil, Exon-Mobile is evil... blah blah blah! They have a good business model, and that makes them evil? BULLSH|T. They see a need and fill it. Do you realize how much money these companies pay out in taxes?? If they were truly evil then people wouldn't patronize them with their business. Wal-mart helps people afford stuff, especially in a resession. If you compare their prices to other grocery stores, it's rediculous how little you can actually buy at a lot of other grocery stores with the same amount of money you would spend at Wal-Mart. I'll spend $5 on a 24 pack of pop/soda/coke from Walmart, and at other stores spend $8. I'm sorry but if other stores can't compete... too f'n bad.

Good luck on the gig!

No having good business sense and being successful does not make you evil. Neither does being rich. I'm sick of people calling successful businesses evil. McDonalds is evil, Microsoft is evil, Wal-Mart is evil, Exon-Mobile is evil... blah blah blah! They have a good business model, and that makes them evil? BULLSH|T. They see a need and fill it. Do you realize how much money these companies pay out in taxes?? If they were truly evil then people wouldn't patronize them with their business. Wal-mart helps people afford stuff, especially in a resession. If you compare their prices to other grocery stores, it's rediculous how little you can actually buy at a lot of other grocery stores with the same amount of money you would spend at Wal-Mart. I'll spend $5 on a 24 pack of pop/soda/coke from Walmart, and at other stores spend $8. I'm sorry but if other stores can't compete... too f'n bad.

Good luck on the gig!

I laughed very hard, he said it was because he worked there and didn't like it not because of some other reason. However watch the documentary on Wal Mart and see how they treat their employees among other things and you may change your mind on a few things.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Wal-Mart: The land of screaming children and low wage earning parents.

Go to Wal-Mart if you want to learn why you see some parents going literally insane.

May 31, 2008

Good luck on the gig!

I think it's great that Wal Mart's prices are cheap and that they have nice, clean stores. The fact that they make billions of dollars every year is great. It's great that they can bring affordable products to everyone, but the way they treat their employees is just unacceptable. If they make billions of dollars every year I think they can afford to pay their employees just a bit more, and maybe be a bit less sexist.

Ok, I'm done, I will not write any more replies relating to Wal Mart

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results