What tricks suit you?

Sep 1, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
So I've been wondering how do you decide what tricks suit you, your personality your patter type your character and help you turn it into a performance peice because we've all done tricks that don't work with are personalitys I love jay sankeys stuff but I find very few of his tricks suit me but how do I know this though.

Chris

edit: all thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 2, 2008
It comes natural, just ask you self if you see your selfing doing this and if you can make somthing out of it.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
I only ask myself one question
"Can i see myself performing it?"
Sure I can imagine myself performing Carousel by Irving Quant, but I cant SEE myself ever doing so. You will never see Jay Sankey performing material of Dan Sperry, vice versa.
There isnt a way you can figure it out exactly but thats what I do.

Mar 30, 2008
I think the best way to do so is to perform what you know. I, ironically, have about five true tricks I do over and over, just different variation. Most of the time I open with a mini-mentalism effect. Just a simple force. Never been caught. I eventually go on to some painter card stuff. I love Thank You LePaul, so that is a big plus for me. At this point I make some fake excuses for being able to do magic (matrix, genetic disorders). If I say the matrix, I do a balducci levitation. Genetic disorders, lick my elbow.

Just go out and see what you do on a regular basis. I know so many tricks I usually forget 50 percent of them every time I perform. When I remember one, I will sometimes attempt the trick and usually succeed. Get a ton of material. (art of astonishments are amazing!) Learn what you can. When you reach maximum capacity of perfect tricks, go perform. See what you like.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results