Just Returned from First Wedding Gig!

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Alright guys I've just returned from my first wedding reception gig.

I showed up early, scoped out the tables, met the D.J. and MOST importantly became friends with the photographer. This came in handy throughout the night because as people crowded around me and enjoyed the magic she was snapping away. We made a deal that I would give her a free gig at her place and she would send me the professional photos for my website. She must have taken at least 40 shots with a nice Digital Canon cam. We exchanged business cards.

Old people in their 70s and 80s who were there did not want to see magic at all at any point in the night. Everyone else thought that it was awesome and wanted me around them the entire night.

A few tips:
1.) Keep tricks short and sweet. Spectators at receptions are distracted easily by all the other stimuli, music, people, etc.
2.) Everything was done in my hands or the specs. There was absolutely ZERO room on the tables with all the silverware, cups, plates, decorations, napkins.
3.) Everything was reset effects.
4.) Keep track as to which tables you've already hit up, this can be difficult when there is a huge reception and people move around everywhere.
5.) Music is loud so you have to speak up a bit.
6.) It was tough to hand out any business cards without looking tacky but most of the groomsmen wanted them so I gave them some on the way out.
7.) Do not bother trying to find the father or mother of the bride / groom. They are running around like crazy and don't want to be bothered.
8.) Guys, if you are good looking and single....this is definitely a gig you want. WOW. Too bad I'm married. Lots of hotties coming up all night flirting. Ha Ha. That was just an added bonus.

My effects were:
1.) sloppy triumph
2.) Biddle Trick
3.) Crazy Man Handcuffs followed by STAR GAZER
4.) Mismade dollar
5.) A mental trick with a prediction and woode chips called "Free Will"
6.) WARNING by Kostya ( used this sparingly throughout the night when I had to time do reset this) People flipped out and loved this effect. I did it outdoors where all the smokers were out on a deck.

This was a great gig. I can't wait to do more strolling magic at weddings. I'll be posting pics in the next few days when the photographer edits and sends them to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Wow, you only needed 6 tricks?
That's pretty awesome.
I thought you would need more, but this is making me a little more confident knowing I can do a strolling gig with 6 effects if it's a big party.
Thanks for posting Rev, sounds like good times.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Yes...I had more on me but I disregarded 3 of them that would need set down on the table because of the lack of room.

I got away with 6 effects easily. This reception had over 30 tables. I spent about 5-8 minutes at almost all of them.

Danny, you would be fine. The only thing is to have a variety. Don't just do cards. I included money, rubber bands, mentalism and cards.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Your welcome man. Definitely be ready to do all magic in your specs hands or your own. I thought there might be a little room on the tables but I was wrong. Absolutely none and I didn't want to grab peoples items and move them. That would be rude and imposing in their space.

You really need to meet the photographer when you can. If you can't do it before the reception try to during the meal, this is a good time because you won't be eating and neither will he / she.

Have fun. It was a blast.

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
i have a couple questions on your marketing tools.

Did you go to them, or did they come to you.

Where did they see you at?

Do you use a website, business cards, word of mouth, etc.

That is the kind of gigs im interested in, just thought i would pick your brain if you dont mind =]

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
i have a couple questions on your marketing tools.

Did you go to them, or did they come to you.

Where did they see you at?

Do you use a website, business cards, word of mouth, etc.

That is the kind of gigs im interested in, just thought i would pick your brain if you dont mind =]

They came to me. This was a young couple who saw me performing magic out at a bar on St. Patrick's Day last year. They said they wanted something "different" than what their friends had done at their weddings.

I gave them business cards all the way back then and then they contacted me via my website. I am currently working on my website to get more and more gigs.
I am going to add video footage as well but thought it would be tacky to film at a wedding. I would have had some sweet footage though. Wow. That is the only thing I'm bummed about.

I take business cards with me everywhere and just remember...any time you are out performing even if you don't think someone is watching from the distance, they are.

If you want to know price wise, I worked for two hours for $250. I did magic from 5:00 to 6:00. and then stopped for the dinner and toasting and what not. Then worked from 7:00 to 8:00 p.m.

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
They came to me. This was a young couple who saw me performing magic out at a bar on St. Patrick's Day last year. They said they wanted something "different" than what their friends had done at their weddings.

I gave them business cards all the way back then and then they contacted me via my website. I am currently working on my website to get more and more gigs.
I am going to add video footage as well but thought it would be tacky to film at a wedding. I would have had some sweet footage though. Wow. That is the only thing I'm bummed about.

I take business cards with me everywhere and just remember...any time you are out performing even if you don't think someone is watching from the distance, they are.

If you want to know price wise, I worked for two hours for $250. I did magic from 5:00 to 6:00. and then stopped for the dinner and toasting and what not. Then worked from 7:00 to 8:00 p.m.

pretty cool stuff man.

cant wait for the pictures

Mar 29, 2008
The next step...

It is odd what different experiences we can have while having a similar experience.
I just performed at a wedding tonight as well. A good audience of Doctors/Lawyers/Accountants – all in their 30’s, so my age, and they ate it up. I think my points below – 1 and 4 – are related and may alleviate your issue (point) 4, if it weren’t for your first point.

1) Audience members are distracted, but that doesn’t prevent me from delivering effects that allow for a plot and a connection…as the reaction from those that DO pay attention will help them realize that you command attention and respect. My effects are not “short and sweet” as they come off as just tricks; I want them to experience a show, see the ART of magic, not just a guy that knows some cool tricks. This adds value on top of the inherent value that my effects already have, and makes you more memorable a performer. It also makes people respect that you are not just another trickster, but an actual entertainer.

2) Most things are in the hands, but I allow myself the corner of the table – once you prove yourself, people will often clear the table for you, without being asked.

3) I hate the term “reset”, it makes me think of something that ends how it starts. Few things I use are auto reset – as I carry around one time show pieces (like card on the ceiling), but many effects I do are shuffled deck in use, or just can be done with no prep – so no reset is required. I

4) I connect with everyone I meet on a first name basis, and do my best to remember their names or details – that way I don’t “forget” I met/performed for them. I find that this is a good way to show people that I appreciate the time they give me, and remembering them is a good way to thank them without saying so. I have had audience member’s comment that “oh, he remembered my name” as much as they say, “he doesn’t even have his sleeves down”. People only comment on what is important to them, and their name is important. Also, it prevents the…”have I been here”…moment, in the movement of the night. Lastly, because it is most important – the connection I make with my magic is ME, not just my cards. Like Ortiz says – when is the last time you said…I want to see a movie on that screen again – vs – I want to see a movie by that actor?

5) Some of my effects have my business care pre-attached – like a deck of cards I know I will give away has my card glued to the box…but I never think it is tacky to hand out cards, as longs as you are asked. Outside of that, people will ask the Bride and Groom if they really loved you. A way to leave the business cards behind – often wedding members will get an “agenda” of what will happen, or something to that matter, ask the Bride and Groom to attach your business info to the agenda. Everyone gets one…problem solved in a soft manner.

6) Yes…girls will hit on you…married or not, while you are working, I find it very unprofessional to take advantage of this at a paid gig. If you must, wait until you are done, and be subtle. I have seen guys lose business because of this – not everyone is impressed with the magician picking up – I find it as tacky as the entertainer that drinks while performing. Nothing says sleazebag like a guy that decides during his performance to try and hook up with a girl…classless.

A few extras:

I never stay for dinner, although I do stay later to chat and answer questions –don’t overstay, but while “packing up” this is when people will chat you up with common questions. A good time to do an encore for a small group that has cornered you, and to score future gigs – usually a time you will be hit up for your card…and if you were being flirted with, you honey will find this moment to ask for your card for “business” of course.

If you were good – people will talk about you and I hate when they say, "oh, yeah, I saw that one too" it is better press if they "compare notes" and can exaggerate your performance. Truthfully, they are advertising for you, through their unique experience – when I prepare, I prepare segments. 2 sets of 3 (6 tricks) that I alternate table to table – at the midway point of the night, I switch to another set of 6 (2 of 3 really). Also, if you are working the room and not table to table, you should be prepared to be cornered for a good chunk of time. How it usually work is like this: You start off with 2-3 people, and their reactions makes it grow quickly to 12 or more…so you have to be prepared to have effects you can rely on that pack small but play big – like Invisible deck for a common solution. I don’t keep all my tricks on me, but usually stash a small “man purse” that has my items in it, that I can visit on a moment’s notice. I also keep an extra deck in this bag, as you never know when someone will place a few cards in a “water drink circle” spilling a drink on them, or drop them.

I also keep one effect just for the Bride and Groom – just in case they corner me and ask for something for them, as they are usually too busy to see your work.

Weddings really are some of the best gigs in pay and audiences, as nobody wants to be “that guy” and ruin what is to be a perfect event – but be sure that YOU aren’t “that guy” either.

Jul 14, 2008
Morgician has very useful tips when it comes to wedding as well as Reverhart. Reverhart, I just like to say congratulations on your success in this wedding gig.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Morgician,

Great points and tips. I never eat / stay for dinner during the gigs but at this one they specifically wanted me to do one hour and then cut for an hour and then go back at it an hour later. Question: In this situation, is it customary to bill them for this time that you are just sort of chilling out in another room? I choose not to.

Also, I had many people want to get me drinks but I declined because I know that looks bad as well. You are exactly correct.

As far as the women, no, I didn't take advantage of a situation but I saw very easily how a beginner and or single guy could lose focus on the magic and start flirting too much with all the single women there.

As far as my 6 effects, I did the same as you. I had two sets of 3. Rotate at each table. Each set of three was loaded either on my left side of coat or right side. Made it very easy.

I did get cornered by all of the groomsmen towards the end of the night and that is when I busted out WARNING and fried them. They all asked for cards.
I will need to add an effect that gives them the business card attached. I like that idea.

One point that you made really caught my attention and I definitely need to do a better job at it is, remembering their names and something about them. This was tough with 250 people there but I must admit I didn't even care to remember names. I probably should have. Point taken. Thank you.

It is always great to hear from other people who work these events as well.
Thanks again.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Most likely if they want you to stay, they'll either sit you at the kiddie table or some place else. It's usually best to eat before you get there, chat with the people there and etc.

I don't think you NEED to do an effect with your business card. You've already made an impression on them and they already want it. So just handing them it, is fine.

Mar 29, 2008
Great points and tips. I never eat / stay for dinner during the gigs but at this one they specifically wanted me to do one hour and then cut for an hour and then go back at it an hour later. Question: In this situation, is it customary to bill them for this time that you are just sort of chilling out in another room? I choose not to.

This may be the one exception to the rule - I have eaten, but I usually do it in another room. As for charging for your time...well, depends on what you are charging, your mindset, and how you run your own business. I have charged, and not charged for that time. Let me ask you this - if you had to travel 5 hours to get to a show...would you charge for travel? I bet you would - you entire day is taken up, and you could do other shows, but booked off that day for that client...so, I may not charge them full price, but I usually up my working fee to take that into consideration...but not too much, as I am getting a dinner out of it as well. If I am just "waiting" - hell yeah I charge em.

As far as my 6 effects, I did the same as you. I had two sets of 3. Rotate at each table. Each set of three was loaded either on my left side of coat or right side. Made it very easy.

Consider another set of 6 to create a bit more variety.

One point that you made really caught my attention and I definitely need to do a better job at it is, remembering their names and something about them. This was tough with 250 people there but I must admit I didn't even care to remember names. I probably should have. Point taken. Thank you.

Do your best - you will see a difference. They understand you are meeting 250people in a short time, but remember the ones that will remember you - it will improve your "likeablity" and gigs - and you are welcome.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Not yet. She is still working on the actual wedding photos and said that she had to get them edited and ready for the bride and groom before she could get to working and editing on mine. I understand. I guess I'll just wait and not annoy her. Don't worry...I'm definitely going to post them here as soon as I get them.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results