Business Cards?

Feb 21, 2009
Hey everyone,

I am moving out to show magic! I was designing my business card and just couldn't come up with something i like! So I was wondering what kind of business cards are you using?

I thought maybe a custom deck of cards with a simple design, my name, and information as a backing would by cool. Especially when performing signing tricks on the street.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
You are going to pay a boat load of money for custom deck cards with all of your info on them. I believe you also have to purchase a minimum order that would cost a small fortune.

I purchased like 1,000 business cards, single sided only, black, white and gray for around $25.00.

I went to the store and bought the magnet backs for them, laminated the cards and turned them into magnets. When people get them....9 times out of 10 they end up on their refrig. holding up items and it is always there for them if someone asks, "Hey, who was that magician you had?"

Just my two cents and my idea I use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 31, 2007
I got mines here http://tr.im/nD73 a while ago. I think they were 250 cards for free, well, i paid shipping but it was nothing.

I used a black background with a cool photo of a spread and just my name and email.

If i want to give out my phone number i write it on the back so that it looks more "personal" ;)

i got a free metal case with the order back then :p not sure if the offer is still up.

my 2 cents

Mar 29, 2008
Hey Revenant,

Your business card should represent your target market. I think the playing card idea, although more costly, is something I have wanted to do for years. It would be great if you do that - let us know what the damage is cost wise. I think it is great because of how audience treat playing cards...people throw out business cards, but NOBODY throws out a deck of cards until one goes missing or is totally ruined. Which is why you witness households with old decks that look like they are 40 years old, frayed edges...just think if that was your deck, good advertising.

Card wise - don't skimp out - I have a rule I learnt from Asher. If a card has bumps on it's edge, throw it out - go for a quality stock. The design and what info on it should reflect your show and how they are to contact you. I personally put my number and email (don't use a hotmail or yahoo one - I mean - sexyboy69@hotmail.com is not exactly professional and even if it is just "your name" at hotmail, it seems cheap).

Business cards are probably the most important decision you will make with promo material, it is your life line - take time to think how you want to design it, don't skimp on quality, and make sure it is "you".

Good luck

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Simon Lovell gave some very good advice in the Kenner issue of Reel Magic regarding business cards.

You'll want good quality stock, for a start. Don't be afraid to spend a little money, though I'm not sure printing on playing card stock would be too cost effective. Simon says, also, to avoid listing what you do, and also to avoid cheesy clip art such as hats, wands and rabbits. Good advice.

Joe

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
It is funny that you said that about hats, wands, and rabbits because all of the guys who are over 45 or 50 that are magicians in our IBM ring have exactly those types of things on their business cards.

Mine is the exact opposite. It has a logo of my initials and has the necessary information. Simple, sweet, yet professional and doesn't shout "kiddie performer".

Jul 26, 2009
Canada
Right not I've just got this crappy business card that I made on Word. Mostly because I'm still in high school and magic isn't my "Business" so it's just one of those, if I get a call, hey what do ya know lol.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Here's an idea, this is how I came up with the design for mine. Look for inspiration - in movies! I happen to work as an actor, so the film industry is an exciting thing for me. Over the course of my movie-loving life, I've seen half a dozen business cards that I LOVE - and two of them form the basis of my business card design now. For example: I believe there's one in MiB. Take something you like as inspiration.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
The playing card idea is good, if you can afford it. I think the USPCC has a thing that you can get custom playing cards...IF you buy like a freaking truck load of that card. Good idea: you'd be set for life. Bad idea: You'd have to spend nearly a thousand or more dollars for it. (don't know the general cost, tho from what I know is that it's not something nearly anybody on here COULD afford.)

May 14, 2009
France
I have done my business card myself. On it, there is my first and last name, the type of events for which i can do magic, my phone number and my e-mail adress. I will probably add my website soon.

Here it is:

I've blurred my personnal informations.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Have a look for R. Paul Wilson's biz card if you're into the playing card idea, it's one of the best business cards I've EVER seen.

It's an ace of spades card with corners rounded and his name in the middle, this sits in a sleeve made to look like the sleeve of a pin stripe suit, button and all!

The idea is that of a con man, the cards up the sleeve thing. I think it was DnD's design, absolutely brilliant.

DC

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results