Best Little Known Book - PDF or DVD

Jul 8, 2009
I know there are a lot of threads about listing best books, dvds, card tricks, etc. Usually you see many of the same books, etc. listed (and rightfully so--they are very good). I was wondering what people thought about listing one or two of the best books, pdfs, dvds, etc. that are under the radar for some reason and are rarely mentioned---not because they are not excellent but just not well known. I am interested in everyone's thoughts and do not limit it to any particular brand of magic. Thanks

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Alright, I'll bite, here are a few ideas from my collection...

NOT A Dianoetic Rage - eBook
Close-Up Card Magic - Book
The Safwan Papers - eBook

Hmm, still missing a DVD. How about...

Get Nyman - DVD

Several professional routines' worth of material in those.

Sep 2, 2007
London
I'd go with anything by Ken Krenzel. He's got some quality visual, modern-looking magic, but for some reason, maybe because his books aren't sold on dananddave.com or Ellusionist or whatever, he never seems to get a mention.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
I'll say:

Steve Youell - Weapons of Mass Destruction
James Swain - Don't Blink
David Harkey - AHA!

If you're into gambling/card work, try out some of Paul Wilson's lesser known products, such as Out of Your Mind.

Although I'm really not sure about their current availability.

G

Last edited by a moderator:
May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
John Archer - Educating Archer DVD
Paul Vigil - Diplopia Book
Swami Mantra - Book
Paul Harris - Stars of Magic DVD Set
Dan and Dave - Trilogy.... HAH!

Al Korans Legacy by Hugh Miller

Unfortunately it's out of print now, but I have a copy i bought back when i was about thirteen (11 years ago!) and there is some FANTASTIC material in their. Mostly stage mentalism stuff and then some close up items and even his infamous 'Linking of three borrowed finger rings' which is just pure genius.

With regards to his mentalism stuff, the guy was the Derren Brown of his day. Some of the stuff he came up with was just damn right impossible but works on the basis of some very clever psychological handling of the spectators so that the method goes completely unnoticed.

Just a shame he isn't talked about much these days. He was a great thinker.

Check him out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWKbDTak6s0

Rev

I'd go with anything by Ken Krenzel. He's got some quality visual, modern-looking magic, but for some reason, maybe because his books aren't sold on dananddave.com or Ellusionist or whatever, he never seems to get a mention.

I'm a big Krenzel fan, can't wait for his new book.

Close up Card Magic isnt really that unknown .. Perhaps the most read card magic book in the 60s-70s :confused:

Don't know why the focus on PDFs specifically, not to mention that "little known" is highly subjective. If you mean "mainstream", I'll go with Best of Osmosis by George Mbride, and other Scottish cardmen ( more known: Peter Duffie ).

On the DVD department, can't think of any really, since there's so much crap outt here any good DVD immediatly gets hyped. Bob White's palming vid is awesome.

Saw a post about David Harkey's Ah-Ha! above, not only its very cool, but his other-hard-to-find-book, Simply Harkey, is the hottest book I own. I love and collect everything Harkey puts out ( matter of taste, some people don't like his material ), I wasn't aware he got into the ebooks thingy particularly with Ah-Ha!

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2007
London
I'm a big Krenzel fan, can't wait for his new book.

Close up Card Magic isnt really that unknown .. Perhaps the most read card magic book in the 60s-70s :confused:

Yeah, I take your point, Dr Krenzel isn't exactly an unknown up-and-comer in the world of magic, but round here, he never gets a mention.

Oh, and I second your opinion on Bob White's palming DVD by the way. That and John Carney's DVD have the best teaching on palming I've come across.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Medifro - T11 is a completely different world. Just about any book is unknown around here, and I'd wager at least 80%, and most likely more, haven't read it - and a stretch to find people who have heard of it or could name who wrote it without a Google search.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results