The PopChris Project is BACK!

May 18, 2008
The PopChris Project was a weekly series of videos I did a LONG time ago. It got a good response, so I am BRINGING IT BACK!

Not that you guys care, lol, but there are some helpful lessons to be learned.

Season 2 is also in HD, so...

Anyway, this one, yeah, is cheesy, but it went well. There is a lesson to be learned SOMEWHERE in there... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icSJkjz3oLM

Feedback is appreciated!

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I didn´t like it, you got some reactions, however you need to work in your technique...a lot.

and I don´t know you or somebody else, but the part I didn´t like the most was when you say "If I just move the aces right here" away from the camera is dumb, I mean you called the cameraman to get near just to let us watch put away the aces?!! Very bad sir!!!

Bad Beggining for this season!! Maybe the one who should learn a lesson is you and improve your tecnique and your performance abilities... and maybe get a new cameraman

Just My 3 Cents

Last edited by a moderator:
May 18, 2008
I didn´t like it, you got some reactions, however you need to work in your technique...a lot.

and I don´t know you or somebody else, but the part I didn´t like the most was when you say "If I just move the aces right here" away from the camera is dumb, I mean you called the cameraman to get near just to let us watch put away the aces?!! Very bad sir!!!

Bad Beggining for this season!! Maybe the one who should learn a lesson is you and improve your tecnique and your performance abilities... and maybe get a new cameraman

Just My 3 Cents

Ah! Thank you for the feedback, but I think you missunderstood!

The entire point of the trick is that the aces go out of view for a second and then the ace changes! It wasn't a camera fault, if that is what you meant.

I can understand where you would come from with that, and once again, thank you for your feedback!

@lilstunna, they are actually in the works. It is taking a while as I want them to be as in depth as possible (as they are PURE greatness in DVD format :p ) but they should be out before next week!

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX

Just My 3 Cents

Dude that was the point. For the spectator its alot more mysterious if the cards go out of view for a split second only to come back as a different card.

Aug 31, 2007
My thoughts:

If you want to make performance videos, rock on. Maybe it's a nit-picky thing of mine, but I don't like it when people call 3 or 4 performance videos a "Season". It's not a season, it's a couple of 3 minute videos you put on youtube. Now that is totally cool to post performance videos, but it isn't at all a "Season"

Lets talk about the video: The editing was very awkward and unnecessary. At the beginning I wasn't sure if that was an intro, or it was specific to that video. That was a little unclear for me, I did like your previous intro though, as I knew right away that it was the intro, not just a few spliced up clips. I'm not sure what editing program you used, but I would lose the flying text. If you need text, it is best to have it STILL or moving very slowly on the screen. Half the time I didn't have a chance to read before it disappeared or "flew" away.

The trick it self was also extremely awkward. Sometimes you need to ask your self, "what is the effect here?". It was totally unclear what you wanted the spectator to remember. Will they remember that one card miraculously shot out of the deck? Or will they remember he cut the deck a bunch and took out a card? Will they remember that you changed 2 aces? Or will they remember you had some cards, and then he covered them behind this wall, and they were different. These can all be specified with fluidity and specific wording of your actions.

You also seemed out of place. You were in what looked to be an apartment complex, and you were wearing a suit-coat. ??? You seemed very out of place.

Also one last thing, I don't know if you are exporting your video wrong, but you aren't exporting or compressing it as HD. Go on some camera forums, and ask what settings to compress/export your video to HD youtube streaming, and tell them your camera type. They will direct you along your way to nicer quality.

Overall, I just felt it was a bit messy and awkward, but I give you props for going out and performing.

~Zach

May 18, 2008
My thoughts:

If you want to make performance videos, rock on. Maybe it's a nit-picky thing of mine, but I don't like it when people call 3 or 4 performance videos a "Season". It's not a season, it's a couple of 3 minute videos you put on youtube. Now that is totally cool to post performance videos, but it isn't at all a "Season"

Lets talk about the video: The editing was very awkward and unnecessary. At the beginning I wasn't sure if that was an intro, or it was specific to that video. That was a little unclear for me, I did like your previous intro though, as I knew right away that it was the intro, not just a few spliced up clips. I'm not sure what editing program you used, but I would lose the flying text. If you need text, it is best to have it STILL or moving very slowly on the screen. Half the time I didn't have a chance to read before it disappeared or "flew" away.

The trick it self was also extremely awkward. Sometimes you need to ask your self, "what is the effect here?". It was totally unclear what you wanted the spectator to remember. Will they remember that one card miraculously shot out of the deck? Or will they remember he cut the deck a bunch and took out a card? Will they remember that you changed 2 aces? Or will they remember you had some cards, and then he covered them behind this wall, and they were different. These can all be specified with fluidity and specific wording of your actions.

You also seemed out of place. You were in what looked to be an apartment complex, and you were wearing a suit-coat. ??? You seemed very out of place.

Also one last thing, I don't know if you are exporting your video wrong, but you aren't exporting or compressing it as HD. Go on some camera forums, and ask what settings to compress/export your video to HD youtube streaming, and tell them your camera type. They will direct you along your way to nicer quality.

Overall, I just felt it was a bit messy and awkward, but I give you props for going out and performing.

~Zach

Thank you man, for the honest feedback.

To point number one, the season thing is just for my benefit and litterally JUST so I have an excuse to make cool intros :p .

Yeah, the flying text WAS a bad idea. I didn't like it much either. It was just kinda... There... Haha. Will fix that next time.

The effect WASN'T THAT ackward, I don't think. I mean, the whole cutting and flying out is the, "By faith alone!" joke. It always gets a laugh and isn't the cause of the effect for the specator.

The change of the aces, yeah. It wasn't REALLY theatrically tied together as well as I would have liked, but it DID get a good reaction. It was kinda a work in progress, and I wanted to try it on an audience. It worked well enough for me, so... But it does need work. Kinda a visual version or follow up to Doc Daley's Last Trick.

Haha, the suit. That is just my jacket. As odd as it sounds, it IS my only jacket haha, and it was kinda cold that day. So, I just kinda had it on. It wasn't an apartment complex, it was a city square haha.

I did compress AND export it in HD. I export them all as AVHCD in 720p at 30fps. It works on MY computer, but youtube has a REAL problem with my HD videos, always. It always takes multiple tries. I mean, it was still HD on there, just not AS high quality as when it was originally done.

So... Yeah. Sorry if I seem defensive, haha. The trick DOES need work, yes, but I think as far as it went as a performance and the reaction I got, based on circumstances and all, it went pretty well. I am working on it though, and thank you VERY much for the feedback! Keep it coming!

May 18, 2008
Oh, and I would like to mention about the season thing, if you recall, it was after all my failed attempts at video, I took that haitus from penguin? I came back with some live videos that were good, or at least in comparison. So anything that is titled, "The PopChris Project" is kinda to differentiate it from my other 1on1 videos for the camera and stuff.

The season lable is to keep the timeframes organized as well...

But mostly so I can make cool intros. :p

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX

That doesnt make it a bad thing. On the contrary if everything for the character is right.
At least for me,its my power.
I at times dress like John Constantine or am wearing something from an expressmen catalogue. It helps me

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I Agree what Zachmonky about the trick, it was ackward.

I know is not a mistake of the cameraman, but you could have put the aces away in another less impractical way. I mean for me it was un-awesome to see how you hide the aces that way I now you did a shapeshifter, but an espectator seeing that could misunderstood, they could think that you thow them away and took other cards while you hide them, My point is that there wasn´t any magic at all. it wasn´t mysterious if you hide the aces behind a wall

But there is a good point in here, and is about your outfit, and I disagree completely with Zachmonky, I hate videos of teenage magicians that go out and do some tricks but they don´t even iron their shirts...You my friend took the time to have a nice coat and look good for your season, don´t apologize or try to explain why you have that coat in a sunny day, wearing a different outfit while you do your show is what enhances your performance.

May 18, 2008
I Agree what Zachmonky about the trick, it was ackward.

I know is not a mistake of the cameraman, but you could have put the aces away in another less impractical way. I mean for me it was un-awesome to see how you hide the aces that way I now you did a shapeshifter, but an espectator seeing that could misunderstood, they could think that you thow them away and took other cards while you hide them, My point is that there wasn´t any magic at all. it wasn´t mysterious if you hide the aces behind a wall

But there is a good point in here, and is about your outfit, and I disagree completely with Zachmonky, I hate videos of teenage magicians that go out and do some tricks but they don´t even iron their shirts...You my friend took the time to have a nice coat and look good for your season, don´t apologize or try to explain why you have that coat in a sunny day, wearing a different outfit while you do your show is what enhances your performance.

Thank you very much for the feedback! I appreciate your honesty!

The trick, now looking at it, IS very ackward. It needs a lot of work. For him, it got a good reaction, I but I need to kick out that element of possible confusion...

Ideas?

Sep 10, 2008
About putting the aces behind the wall, I know you understand the bad part about doing that, but you as a performer have to eliminate ANY possible explanations as to how something is done. Putting the deck behind a wall doesn't do that. I know, the shapeshifter is a rather gutsy move to do if you aren't 110% on it. I still am not and i have been practicing it for months. I can do it, but I can feel that it won't work every time when I perform. Get that shapeshifter down and incorporate it into the trick and you will have yourself a 3X better effect.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
My biggest criticism is that it appeared to be a look at what I can do, more than anyway of relating to your spectator. So essentially it was a web cam performance done live.

May 18, 2008
My biggest criticism is that it appeared to be a look at what I can do, more than anyway of relating to your spectator. So essentially it was a web cam performance done live.

Haha, I love your signature! Philal, I completely agree.

THat is DEFINITLy something to think about. D ICE R, can I use that? I am going to create a topic about that sometime.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results