A routine Im very Proud of.

This is a routine that has stemmed from a very long amount of time working on a queens routine that is just a little bit different.

Ever since I got the Trilogy last Christmas I have seen countless performances of the queens routine. All except 3 of those routines (Jordan Lapping, Tramlaw1106 and DonaldGoesHD where the 3 exceptions) where the exact same every time. 4 queens vanish, only to reappear. All videos taking a max of 45 seconds to complete and all with monotone patter or worse, music.

But, despite this fact I have always enjoyed the idea of the queens routine. So I learned the Dan and Dave version. But, because I felt it was overused and most of the time unoriginal, I never performed it.

After a long time of just playing around with the effect, I finally came up with some decent patter, in the form of a story. As a result of the patter, it allows me to slow the effect down and really let the magical effect of this routine sink in for the spectators. I have performed it live at school and for my family and all of my performances have gotten good feedback, everyone says they enjoyed the routine.

So here it is, a routine I'm very proud of,
"Short Story (Queens Personal Handling)."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfFIA4bwSN4

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok i didnt like it. Not because it wasnt performed OK, but the trick itself was just bad. Why would you need to put down the deck and then pick it up again? Just to vanish a ten? kinda supicious, ya think? IMO i would use an elemsly instead of your biddle count. Less supicious, more open. Rub a dub was good. The second vanish was ok, but again, why do you pick up the deck for the vanish? I would take the little "win, lose" thing out. It wasnt good. Color changes kind of lose there effect when the audience knows there are two cards. The ego was... well just work on it. The clipshift wasnt too smooth, the pinkie moves too much. Sorry man, not that i dont like you man, its the trick thats not good.

Mar 26, 2009
Arizona
this routine has a lot of potential. one thing you can do is check out the rubadub deluxe video on vanishingincmagic.com that looks INSANE and doesnt require you to put down the deck or do the cheezy typical rubadub.

Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
this routine has a lot of potential. one thing you can do is check out the rubadub deluxe video on vanishingincmagic.com that looks INSANE and doesnt require you to put down the deck or do the cheezy typical rubadub.

Definitely. Instead of putting down the deck or like said doing a Cheesy Rub-A-Dub. You should check out Glenn Morphews Deluxe version

I have a review here.

http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=22021

Like said this doesnt potential dude keep it up and keep playing around with it.

Tom

Dec 26, 2007
Well, i thought the simple idea behind the patter was very well thought out, and executed sufficiently. It wasn't quite a full blown story trick (which is a good thing!), but it has room for indivdual adjustment. The sleights were reasonable, but as always, could be smooter. Overall i would say that it is a greta start, just keep working at it.

Im actually friends with glen and I have seen the ruba dub deluxe, and it does look great. But, IMO its not worth 10 dollars when a regular rub a dub works just fine:D

Alright, so I know that I need to work on making the trick smoother as a whole.

Question on the problem of having to put the deck down and then pick it back up:

William Jung said the same thing when i shared this with him a few days before making it public. He said to just do the rub a dub without removing the "4" tens from the deck. My question is wouldnt it just be obvious to a spectator that I show 4 tens, "vanish" one of them and then just turn over 3??

Anyone have solution for this?

Thanks for all the comments and critiques!

Sep 30, 2009
Elkhart, IN
Not to bad. Not sure why the performance didn't stay inside the camras veiw. As for as your finger moving to much... at least you know how the clip shift is done. Practice will make it better.

Mar 17, 2009
Hmmm i think people here are being overly critical, i liked the routine! You did seem a little nervous preforming it though, even just in front of the camera so i would deffo give it some more work before performing to a crowd, but yeah i did like it! The sleights were performed more than adequetly i thought! But deffo cut that win/lose bit out, i did NOT like that! And maybe think of a way to get the ten back on top without going behind the back. but yeah,Good job man!

Tommy

Hmmm i think people here are being overly critical, i liked the routine! You did seem a little nervous preforming it though, even just in front of the camera so i would deffo give it some more work before performing to a crowd, but yeah i did like it! The sleights were performed more than adequetly i thought! But deffo cut that win/lose bit out, i did NOT like that! And maybe think of a way to get the ten back on top without going behind the back. but yeah,Good job man!

Tommy

Thanks man!

About the gojng behid the back, I think it fits because I say I reached into my pocket to get an extra 10. Maybe I can actually go into the pocket. Only problem is i didnt have pockets on these shorts. I could do it with a shake to cover the action but it doent make much sense.

Thanks all for tips and the such!

Mar 17, 2009
You're welcome dude!!

Hmmm yeah i was thinking at the time that it does fit with the patter, but something about it still didnt sit right........ Heres an idea for you....... Maybe you could say '' i remembered i had one more 10 dollar bill in my pocket so i thought i'd use that'' reach into your pocket with an empty hand and pretend to pull something out, in fact your hand comes out empty and you are pretending to hold the card , the audinece are thinking ....wtf?!.... then a quick wave over the pack and ......Bam! the ten is there!! Fits with the patter, looks cool and eliminates the need to go behind the back! Just an idea for ya!! But good job man!!

Tommy

You're welcome dude!!

Hmmm yeah i was thinking at the time that it does fit with the patter, but something about it still didnt sit right........ Heres an idea for you....... Maybe you could say '' i remembered i had one more 10 dollar bill in my pocket so i thought i'd use that'' reach into your pocket with an empty hand and pretend to pull something out, in fact your hand comes out empty and you are pretending to hold the card , the audinece are thinking ....wtf?!.... then a quick wave over the pack and ......Bam! the ten is there!! Fits with the patter, looks cool and eliminates the need to go behind the back! Just an idea for ya!! But good job man!!

Tommy

Dude thats epic. Thanks for the idea! Im gonna try both on spectators and see which is better.

THANKS!!!

Jul 13, 2009
Tommy d gave you probably one of the better pieces of advices IMO here atm. I loved the presentation. I think you are the first person that I have seen who has pitched a logical routine using "The queens"

There is some fat though on this piece of prime meat but you already know what it is, so I will not bother you with that.

Great job

Tommy d gave you probably one of the better pieces of advices IMO here atm. I loved the presentation. I think you are the first person that I have seen who has pitched a logical routine using "The queens"

There is some fat though on this piece of prime meat but you already know what it is, so I will not bother you with that.

Great job

Hey man thanks alot:D

and yeah im working on triiming and perfecting this atm

LOL at your signature

:D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results