I AM A Beginner Cardist...

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Hey guys, here is a video in honor of Genesis, but first, here is why im posting this.

For the video description, ALL of you guys should read it, even if you are not a beginner in cardistry. I myself am a beginner in cardistry, about a few weeks into it, and I never felt brave enough to post a video because of all the hate I would get. But now, I decided to step outside that mindset and create a "movement" in which all beginner cardsists wouldn't have to be afraid of hate. Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaEzzn_OveU

Hope you like it!

-Casey

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, here is a video in honor of Genesis, but first, here is why im posting this.

For the video description, ALL of you guys should read it, even if you are not a beginner in cardistry. I myself am a beginner in cardistry, about a few weeks into it, and I never felt brave enough to post a video because of all the hate I would get. But now, I decided to step outside that mindset and create a "movement" in which all beginner cardsists wouldn't have to be afraid of hate. Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaEzzn_OveU

And for all you guys who want to joke around with us beginners, good luck trying to pick on us now...soon enough you will realize that picking on people is NOT helping the community at ALL.

-Casey

Your amazingly defensive there. I find your lack of faith in the rest of us disturbing.

Aug 4, 2009
nice idea.. you're still going to get d-bags that feed off of bashing others, but there is strength in numbers.. It's a good way for people to get confidence and constructive feedback.

Draven: I got the impression that he was speaking in general, not just T11, as the comments will mostly be on the youtube. Beginning anything artistic and having your work out for everyone to see can be a little intimidating. I don't feel it was an expression of a lack of faith, just a lack of confidence. Both can lead to being a bit defensive, I suppose. Just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
soon enough you will realize that picking on people is NOT helping the community at ALL.

-Casey

Neither is you getting defensive about something that hasn't even happened. Basically what you're saying here is "I suck. But you'd better not say anything!" chill out man, it's a possibility that no one would have made fun of your video anyway . You did a pretty good job. Just cool down that attitude man.

I think one of the more difficult things to get over as a neophyte in the magic community is that paralyzing fear of being judged by others.

We are social creatures by nature, and we all want to be accepted within our communities. That community can also extend to the social circles that surround our hobbies, and personal interests.

What is easily over looked though is as a beginning you are going to make mistakes. A ton of them. And you are going to deal with rejection, put downs, douche bags, and ass holes. What you need to remember is that these peoples volatile reactions to what they see in your character, act, or skills aren't necessarily unfounded. They just lack the social graces of presenting their objections to you in a politer, more constructive way. I guess not all of us are put on this earth to teach and lead the way.

Try to look beyond the negativity of their words and to what they are suggesting. If their only offer of advice is "you suck" then ask yourself "why?" and try to improve yourself each day.

Now the flip side to this same coin is that you will also encounter people who will offer freely constructive criticism and advice. While their medicine may still be bitter, it's good for you. Look at it like this. No one likes getting the flue, but no one likes getting the shot either, but everyone loves not getting sick. Sometimes you've got to suck it up and take it, to better yourself.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Neither is you getting defensive about something that hasn't even happened. Basically what you're saying here is "I suck. But you'd better not say anything!" chill out man, it's a possibility that no one would have made fun of your video anyway . You did a pretty good job. Just cool down that attitude man.

What do you mean that picking on others hasnt happened already...

Take a look at Decknique, and how it turned out. Listen to the podcast Andrei and JB did last night, even Andrei states that people have started picking on others. Just saying, im not being angry, just trying to get out the point. Hopefully that cleared up some things.

What do you mean that picking on others hasnt happened already...

Take a look at Decknique, and how it turned out. Listen to the podcast Andrei and JB did last night, even Andrei states that people have started picking on others. Just saying, im not being angry, just trying to get out the point. Hopefully that cleared up some things.

I was saying that people haven't picked on you. And you don't need to attempt to back up Andrei's point with this video. We understood just fine when he said it.

Jan 5, 2009
Small town Ohio
Rather than being so blunt about it, saying "And for all you guys who want to joke around with us beginners, good luck trying to pick on us now...soon enough you will realize that picking on people is NOT helping the community at ALL.".. ect.. It probably would have been a better idea to take that a different direction.
You don't want people to judge your videos and the fact that you're a beginner.. which is totally justified.. but you coming back just as defensive and just as judgmental by assuming people would pick on you for your video, isn't going to help anything. If you don't want people to judge you and assume that you're not as good because you're beginning, then don't judge and assume the other members on this forum are all jerks who are going to make fun of you.
I understand where you're coming from. And hopefully one day beginners won't be scared away by harsh members. Hell, when I first started out here, i was nervous as well. But that will come with time. Can't just stop it in a day.

And on the video note! Good job :] for just a few weeks in, not bad at all!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results