Improve Your Mind: Contest Details!

Jan 13, 2008
Although I'm not involved in the contest (not even as a contestant :(), I'd like to expand upon the 5 paragraph format, just so those who are entering don't get penalized for formatting.

Typically, a 5 paragraph essay is formatted as below:

i) Introductory Paragraph -- Begins with a "hook", usually includes the thesis statement, and includes a brief description of the three points you'll be making throughout your essay (usually in the form of one sentence listing your points). Ends with a transition sentence.

ii) Position One -- Your first point to backup/explain your thesis. If you were to rank your three points in terms of how convincing they are, you would usually start with your second most convincing point. Typically you provide two or three examples (with explanations) when proving your point. You should both start and end the paragraph with a transition sentence.

iii) Position Two -- Your second point to backup/explain your thesis. This tends to be the least convincing point in your essay. Again, you typically provide two or three examples (with explanation) for proving your point. You should start and end the paragraph with a transition sentence.

iv) Position Three -- Your third point to backup/explain your thesis. This tends to be the most convincing point in your essay (you want to end strong). Typically two or three examples (with explanation) are provided. Again, a transition sentence should be employed at the beginning and end of the paragraph.

v) Conclusion Paragraph -- Restate the thesis and wrap things up.

Note that after elementary school, the introductory paragraph tends to get split into two paragraphs (one for introducing the topic, and one for setting up the rest of the essay (with your thesis and whatnot); however, some prefer to leave it as one). As well, each body paragraph is split up into four or five paragraphs (introduce the point, two or three explanations (or sub-points), and then a conclusion). The conclusion tends to stay at one paragraph.

Hopefully that helps! :)

D

Deleted member 2755

Essay submitted.

Let's do it for the fans.

Congratulations on being the first submission!

lolcat-funny-picture-moderator1.jpg

Just kidding. I've just waited for months for the right moment to post that picture.:p I'm not getting the first few submissions. I get the second batch. I look forward to reading the essays. :)

-Doug

Mar 22, 2009
Just to let you know, if you're going to posting pictures like that:

Attachments

• wrong.jpg
    wrong.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 56
NO YOU FOOL! Don't you realize that Theory11 is alergic to cats! Dear GODS Man WHY this thread of ALL threads did you do that!

Now this thread will dissapear faster than David Copperfield's pants in the Playboy Mansion!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

D

Deleted member 2755

No, Draven is correct. ;) I'll act all moderator like starting..... JKJKJK ok I'm serious... Here we go....

Hey everyone. Thought I'd chime in here real quick to say that while we appreciate the members ofthis forum having fun, we should do so in a way that it relates to magic. Let's get things back on topic please.

Thanks guys! Keep on rockin'.

-Doug

*Throws up*

No, Draven is correct. ;) I'll act all moderator like starting..... JKJKJK ok I'm serious... Here we go....

Hey everyone. Thought I'd chime in here real quick to say that while we appreciate the members ofthis forum having fun, we should do so in a way that it relates to magic. Let's get things back on topic please.

Thanks guys! Keep on rockin'.

-Doug

*Throws up*

Does this count as on topic?

lolbuilder.aspx

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Okay, I just want to say that I wrote a good half of my essay this morning (gotta go to work) and it's already over 700 words. Anyone who was struggling to meet that criteria...well, you've never had to write short stories before (3000 word minimum, 5000 word max, make it interesting and complete). :)

Should finish up tonight or tomorrow morning and send it in after my girlfriend edits it for grammar and I gut it a few times. (2nd draft=1st draft - 10%) O_O

And these have been some good kitty pictures.

Attention EVERYONE!

It's Wednesday and it's already halfway through the afternoon, and so far, out of 45 contestants I've recieved only 3 essays!

I need to get at the very least 8 essays before I can award prizes. I will not waste the time of our very generous sponsors.

I know of a couple of you who are putting the finishing touches on, but still that leaves over 30 people who haven't checked in yet.

Just a heads up, the deadline is this Friday at Midnight! Make sure you get those essays sent in so you don't miss out on these awesome prizes!

D

Deleted member 2755

Attention EVERYONE!

It's Wednesday and it's already halfway through the afternoon, and so far, out of 45 contestants I've recieved only 3 essays!

I need to get at the very least 8 essays before I can award prizes. I will not waste the time of our very generous sponsors.

I know of a couple of you who are putting the finishing touches on, but still that leaves over 30 people who haven't checked in yet.

Just a heads up, the deadline is this Friday at Midnight! Make sure you get those essays sent in so you don't miss out on these awesome prizes!

I've been thinking that people are procrastinating.:p I think you're inbox will be full of e-mails at about 11:59 Friday. ;)

If the response to these contests aren't big, then we probably won't continue them. C'mon guys. You signed up! Now make it happen!

-Doug

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Well, I have really difficult task to find the time to write this, because I have 2 trainings a day, and other daily stuff. I was hoping for a little longer deadline, so that I can write it on weekend. You gave us 5 work days to write a really long essay... I will try thou, don't worry. It may not be in that format, but I will write down something.

Now, about the prizes. Does the best one wins all of those prizes, or are the prizes divided for the first, second, third place, etc... ?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results