Final thoughts on flourishing during card magic

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
I know what I read, my point is, you admire that kind of stuff, being able of "showing your amasingly god powers over cards" by doing flourishes in between tricks and such, that's the reason behind your signature, that's the reason behind the way you defend "your point", be sincere, your aim right now at magic is to do the routines that Brian Tudor does.

And thats the reason behind all this argument, because since you began with this kind of stuff you have found countless magicians that tell you that that kind of presentation and performance is wrong, yet, you still try to seek approval by praising guys that do flourishes between their tricks and by making threads like this.

Believe me, im not that dumb, there is a reason behind my last post, and it wasn't because I readed your post wrong.

I actually did not start of with his stuff.
Is that wrong to think someone is great at what the do and think its cool?
Do you not think hes skills are amazing?

I dont understand the problem in that.

I put those quotes up because i thought they were funny.

I dont practice any of his stuff, and i dont want to be like him.

I dont understand your point?

Im not trying to get approval from anyone, trust me.
there a few of you i would love to take advice from, but most of you i could care less of what you think.

I want to be good, and perform well.
but not because of not being accepted, because i want too.
because im beginning to understand more.

Jul 13, 2009
*pokes an ear into the thread and hears its quiet*

I just wanted to clarify you all are talking about combinding Cardistry with magic right? Because Flourishing is fans, cuts, spreads, etc. Cardistry is the non magical manipulation of cards. I also have a couple of questions.

Which one do you think fits better?

"Hey you pick a card, now I am going to place it into the center of the deck. Now watch *snaps finger* its on top again."here watch again" places card back into the deck. "Now its on top."

Comes up doing a sybil "Howdy folks do you mind picking a card? Great," does a butterfly cut to return the card. "Great now watch closely," Does a couple of flourishes and finds the card on the top. "Now here watch me do it even faster." Places card cleanly into the center of the deck. The performer gives a quick twitch, "Did you see it? the card is on the top again."

Now both of those presentations have a problem with them and they are the same, what are they? Also which presentation is better?

Also Prae
like Lovell and Roth in the other thread which thread was this?

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Wow this is a hot subject.

Yes it is.

I don't know why the hellz did people started to call "cuts" and things like that "cardistry".

Here is a definition of flourishes straight from wikipedia:

Card flourish is a magic jargon term for a visual display of skill performed with playing cards to show the skill and manual dexterity of a magician. Card flourishes are more akin to juggling than magic. Flourishes are visually fascinating to watch, look difficult to do, and they often are. [1]
Card flourishes for magicians can be divided into many genres: one handed cuts, spreads, two handed cuts, fanning, aerials, and springs. The art of card flourishing is not for magic use only.

That's it, maybe they started to call it "cardistry" because it sounds cooler but yeah, that's my answer to your post Ke'oke :)

Mar 2, 2008
I remember dan and dave saying its a new genre to magic in a video of them in iceland. tha'ts why i said that.

Wither or not he can perform, has nothing to do with the fact his skill is amazing

Just because the buck twins say somthing makes it true?

Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
Ok, heres what I think. Flourishing is for show, and for yourself. Something to do while waiting or standing around. Someone says "Wow thats awesome" then you show them some magic. BUT when you show them a trick, what's more magical, your card goes in the deck and cut cut cut flourish and its on top, OR, say your card goes in the middle ...(wave your hand).... its on top. Think about it, if you do flourishing in the middle of an effect it looks like you controlled somthing, but if you just make it simple: your card goes in the middle ...(wave your hand).... its on top. Thats magic.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results