Five Minute Speech... Help Me!

Dec 25, 2008
Malaysia
Guys, my lecturer actually assigned me for a 5 minutes speech in front of my classmates and he said any topic will do. So i decided to do some magic.

I was wandering what kinda magic should i perform in front of my classmate, can anyone give me some ideas?

I've thought before about Pressure and Match Bite.

Thanks for any reply:D

Nov 29, 2008
Oh okay I see what you mean. Yes if you can perform those effects well than I suggest doing match bite. Its visual and powerful, and it involves more than cards so the audience won't just think you are "tricking" them essentially.

Dec 25, 2008
Malaysia
Okok.... Then Match Bite will be in my list....:D

Guys and other advices?
I don't think will involve card tricks, coz might not be seen by everybody.

match bite? doesnt that have to be lit.
just do a card trick. like card to ceiling or maybe angle zero.
but why dont you just do a speech on something about magic. like misdirection or memory psycology, make yourself sound smart, instead of just doing some magic tricks.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Make sure you know what you will be graded on. If you are going to perform, I would corporate it into a speech. Use magic as an object lesson perhaps, or talk about how magic can be important to a child growing up, or "Entertainment, and what it means to you" (;)), or even how magic can affect those who watch it, or why you like it so much, or how being a magician affects your view of the world - does it make you see things in black and white (always a measurable explanation ), or does it make you see hidden potential in everything and encourage you to dream big (there can be factors that you cannot see or know that affect the world around you).

I just think that would go over much better than just doing a trick. imo

Good luck!
Justin

If you have to do magic, I would suggest doing something more visual for the class which won't inhibit you from speaking and interacting with your audience. Personally, I think Match Bite is too small of an effect to appreciate from a distance, and it's inappropriate for such a project, because it requires you to put objects in your mouth instead of communicating your thoughts as a legitimate speech should.

When I gave my valedictorian speech in high school, I spoke about how throughout the four years, we were required to constantly juggle various priorities: schoolwork, extracurricular activies, social lives, etc. Onstage, in front of my entire high school class of 500 people, I proceeded to juggle balls representing the various priorities of a student. My speech then touched upon how we interacted as friends, teammates, and students throughout the high school experience and I proceeded to perform a brief Cups and Balls Routine to the words I was saying. To conclude, I said we should look forward to the unexpected and appreciate the surprises to come ahead of us because our high school graduation marked a new beginning for everyone. I produced various fruits from under the cups and a watermelon from under my graduation cap. The speech was apparently one of the most memorable in the school's history and various former classmates still comment on it today.

That's something I'm personally proud of-- perhaps it can give you a few ideas.

Rather than just do some disjointed magic tricks, try to make the magic mean something more. Make your words the focus of your speech and allow the magic to frame it rather than vice versa. Too many people think that magic should be the focus of a performance where it should actually be a more significant message. Think of something important to discuss that you feel passionate about-- and then find magic to appropriately accent it.

Professor's Nightmare: You can discuss how people of different shapes, sizes, and backgrounds are often misjudged based upon their appearances in society. Talk about national values that promote equality and appreciation of character. As you give your speech, you’ll show three normal ropes of various lengths and make them equal between your bare hands.

Ninja Linking Rings: You can talk about how teamwork are like the links of a chain. If one person breaks away from the chain, the rest of the team will be weaker and may fall apart. Naturally, you’ll link and unlink four rings to suit your patter.

PK Touches: You can talk about the value of close friendship, and why it’s important that people find others to discuss feelings and share experiences. The more people socialize with one another, the more people will be able to familiarize themselves in other people’s shoes and understand what they’re feeling and enduring in life. As you talk about all this, you’ll set up any variation of PK Touches where one person feels you touch them even though you only touched their close friend across the room.

These are just a few ideas. I think it’s important that you utilize more visually-appealing magic to compliment a strong, significant speech. Don’t let the magic be the major focus of your assignment—let your message be. People will not only appreciate your performance more but they’ll be able to take a valuable lesson or story away from it as well. Just some food for thought.

RS.

Guys, my lecturer actually assigned me for a 5 minutes speech in front of my classmates and he said any topic will do. So i decided to do some magic.

I was wandering what kinda magic should i perform in front of my classmate, can anyone give me some ideas?

I've thought before about Pressure and Match Bite.

Thanks for any reply:D

Your teacher said a five minute speach, not a five minute show.

I'd do a speach about mind control. Referance the studies conducted by the government in the 1960s. Then prove your arguement by doing a (single) card force.

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
Your teacher said a speech, but if you what to perform you can talk about misdirection and sleight of hand and how it help your magic. Then say "For example..." and then show them a trick like card to mouth or something that applys misdirection.

Sep 13, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Talk about mind reading/mentalism and do a multiple force using.......the one ahead principle? Never fails, I did that as a high school class presentation and got an A. It is great for the simple reason that 99% of the performance is presentation and showmanship.

Feb 28, 2008
As a teacher, I'm confused as what the point of this speech is if you're just gonna do a trick... ahahaha.

But if you're gonna do something and it's due tomorrow, you better do something you've practiced before and you're comfortable with performing.

The invisible deck would be a good performance that can really get a class going... it's worked for me in the past.

Oct 23, 2007
had to do a 10 min presentation once, in college. so basically what i talked about was all aspects of magic, then got my class to pick what sort of magic they liked, then used that as a ending to finish my presentation. so basically i ended up performing a newpaper prediction which i mailed to my lecturer's office a few days back. got full marks for that presentation. the only one to get full marks for that presentation.

Peace

Dec 25, 2008
Malaysia
Ok, so i get what u guys mean.

I would do the speech like what Nino says.

First i'll talk about Presentation, and after some elaboration, i'll perform ThunderBird to show the way of presenting 4 Aces in your style.

Next, i'll talk about Sleight Of hand, the most important thing in magic, and i'll just simply do a riffle force to sthrengthen my main idea.

And i'll talk about Imagination, and do Pressure.

Last, i'll just talk a little about myself and how does magic effect me and people around me in my life.

How u guys tthink?

Ok, so i get what u guys mean.

I would do the speech like what Nino says.

First i'll talk about Presentation, and after some elaboration, i'll perform ThunderBird to show the way of presenting 4 Aces in your style.

Next, i'll talk about Sleight Of hand, the most important thing in magic, and i'll just simply do a riffle force to sthrengthen my main idea.

And i'll talk about Imagination, and do Pressure.

Last, i'll just talk a little about myself and how does magic effect me and people around me in my life.

How u guys tthink?

Personally, I feel that a speech about the presentation of magic would be dull and uninteresting to a classroom of non-magicians. No one but magicians care about presentation, sleight-of-hand, or imagination in magic. In my opinion, your speech is pretty weak, and your 'trick list' is disjointed and incoherent with that you'll be talking about. I hate to throw the word around but you're making yourself out to be a noob.

But take that with a grain of salt. If you can make the speech engaging for the audience, then by all means run with it. Personally-- regarding your speech or your take on the project, I just don't... get it. It sounds like you're forcing magic on people rather than giving a speech like you should be.

RS.

Dec 25, 2008
Malaysia
Personally, I feel that a speech about the presentation of magic would be dull and uninteresting to a classroom of non-magicians. No one but magicians care about presentation, sleight-of-hand, or imagination in magic. In my opinion, your speech is pretty weak, and your 'trick list' is disjointed and incoherent with that you'll be talking about. I hate to throw the word around but you're making yourself out to be a noob.

But take that with a grain of salt. If you can make the speech engaging for the audience, then by all means run with it. Personally-- regarding your speech or your take on the project, I just don't... get it. It sounds like you're forcing magic on people rather than giving a speech like you should be.

RS.

Can i pm you for a talk? i have the same feeling my speech is weak, but besides magic, i don't have any idea what to say and how to present it in my speech...

Personally, there is a time for performing, and a time for school work.

IF the oppertunity comes up where the two shall meet then wonderful.

However, I get the impression that you are trying to jam a square peg into a round hole.

Talking about your love for magic could make a great five minute speach. Why did you get into magic? Why you love magic? The things magic can do to open doors for you... etc. And end it with ONE simple, quick trick. Card to cealing, or ACR. Something quick. Take a bow and be done with it.

I get the impression you're still trying to fight to work into a five minute show. Your teacher didn't ask for that.

Again, time and place. Just knuckle down, do your speach, and amaze your friends at a later time.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results