Bad News Mates: I'm Quitting Magic Forever

Sep 1, 2007
USA
Whenever Dai Vernon would take a deck of cards out, he would glimpse the bottom card top card, and reverse a card in the center and take note of it.

Then he would ask spectators to name a card... if he got lucky it'd be an amazing trick.

Also, on Past Midnight by Benjamin Earl, there's a trick like this, except the card is found in his coat pocket.

I was so worried you were going to leave haha. I always enjoy your posts

ZG

Sep 20, 2008
He searches and searches, but finds no card, and then the silence comes.
I take my deck back, say "Thank you for backing up what I said - the card has changed color and jumped to the pocket - it can, of course, no longer be in the deck." And leave.

Awesome streak of luck there man, Nicely done on your part :)

Jun 22, 2009
Psh my 10 year old brotha (yeah, I said brotha) picked the card I was thinking of out of a pile of cards that were splattered on the floor face down. It was the 7 of hearts.

Boo-yah.

I dont think that beats pulling off the Berglas Effect... that is just an amazing piece that doesn't involve the performer....

Dec 16, 2008
Austin, TX
I had a funny thing like this happen to me a few months back.

As I was walking towards one end of the school, after the final bell rang, a kid who I sat with at luch asked me to do some magic for his friends. Even though I didn't really like him, I obliged, and decided to do the Biddle Trick.

So I spread out the cards and asked him to take one, adding that he could change his mind if he wanted. He looked at his card, then decided to put it back in to choose another one, so I closed the pack.

The next time I spread it out I did a LePaul spread, and he chose a card. "What? No!" he put the card back in.
LePaul spread again, another chosen card. The 3 of them started freaking out, and at this point I inferred that he must've chosen the same card a third time (as I did not actually see the card). So they freaked out and put their card back in and asked to pick one another time.

I changed back to a normal spread, and spread the cards, he took one, and ran off screaming. All of them flipped out and were yelling and freaking out in general. ^_^

Needless to say, I was grinning like an idiot when I walked away. I did nothing more than spread the pack 4 times, and I was lucky enough to have him choose the same card every time. Probably the best trick I've done to date. :D

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
I had a funny thing like this happen to me a few months back.

As I was walking towards one end of the school, after the final bell rang, a kid who I sat with at luch asked me to do some magic for his friends. Even though I didn't really like him, I obliged, and decided to do the Biddle Trick.

So I spread out the cards and asked him to take one, adding that he could change his mind if he wanted. He looked at his card, then decided to put it back in to choose another one, so I closed the pack.

The next time I spread it out I did a LePaul spread, and he chose a card. "What? No!" he put the card back in.
LePaul spread again, another chosen card. The 3 of them started freaking out, and at this point I inferred that he must've chosen the same card a third time (as I did not actually see the card). So they freaked out and put their card back in and asked to pick one another time.

I changed back to a normal spread, and spread the cards, he took one, and ran off screaming. All of them flipped out and were yelling and freaking out in general. ^_^

Needless to say, I was grinning like an idiot when I walked away. I did nothing more than spread the pack 4 times, and I was lucky enough to have him choose the same card every time. Probably the best trick I've done to date. :D

You just did the ulimate classic force anybody have ever done.:D

Oct 12, 2009
Navarre, Florida
I think if your performance has room for humor then you may as well work something like that into a trick. 51 times out of 52 it gets a laugh and 1 time out of 52 it melts their brains. Why not?

Nov 8, 2007
Great story, William.

Something I do sometimes is take out my deck and say:

"Do you have a favorite card?"
If I get a yes I then say: "There are fifty-two different cards in the deck so it could be anything. Name your card."
"Queen of Hearts."
"You were thinking of the Queen of Hearts. Turn over the top card."
It is revealed to be the Queen of Hearts.

Now I know everyone here will know how this works, but it gets an incredible reaction. I just keep the QoH on top of my deck when it's cased, and the QoD below it for a double. When I uncase my deck (or even it's already in play I'll cull the 2 Qs to the top) I just go into this patter (of course when performing for a girl). If it doesn't hit then I just say, "You got it. Totally free selection," and take out their card and go into an ACR, or something that doesn't require the card's identity to be a secret. Otherwise I just have them turn over the card and enjoy the madness.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
Nice William. Similar story:

I'm sick today, and of course I do magic to pass the time. So my mom is sitting across from me, and I ribbon spread the cards on the floor. After two jokingly failed attempts, I get serious. I ask her to think of a card. Then I selected two random cards and outjogged them. I asked her to think which card she thought it was.

I selected one. She says, "I chose the other one." But for some reason I felt compelled to pick the card I did. Ever the optimist, I ask what her card was.

"Queen of Clubs."

Boom. Instant match.

WIN.

Ian

Oct 26, 2008
Minnesota
lol

Reminds me of the first time I did Angle Zero. As I had a bunch of people drawn in I looked for a cell phone. There was a group of phones on the table behind the girls. But, the one I really wanted to use wasn't there anymore. I grab the guy just walking by me and ask him to open his phone. He looked at me quite puzzled and said "no, i'm getting a call, its too loud in here." I finally got him to open his phone and there was the missing corner to the card. People erupted.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results