How to handle a horrible show?

Oct 5, 2009
Houston TX
So I just got back from a performance that I did at an "assisted living" facility. So basically it was all old people and it just went really really bad. My magic was flawless, but for instance most of the time the spectators couldn't remember what card they had chose etc etc etc. My performances almost ALWAYS go very well, tonight however was an epic fail. They weren't responsive at all. I think they just didn't understand what was going on, even though I tried to make everything as simple and easy for them as possible. So does anyone have any tips or advice on what to do when this kind of performance happens??? Basically I figure I will down a 6 pack tonight, get up tomorrow, shake it off and get ready for my next performance. Any thoughts or ideas please feel free to share. Thanks:confused:

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Lesson Learned: Don't do anything that requires them to remember anything. Something like Cut and restored rope, sponge balls and cups and balls would pretty much go well, because wouldn't have to do much.

I've heard tons of horror stories from people who have done those types of places. Most tend to avoid doing those types of shows after they experience the pain of doing them.

Sep 30, 2009
Elkhart, IN
Basically I figure I will down a 6 pack tonight, get up tomorrow, shake it off and get ready for my next performance. Any thoughts or ideas please feel free to share. Thanks:confused:

Not to sound like any ones mother or father but WHY down a 6 pack when you could just work on new stuff or continue to practice what you know now. You do what you want its your life not mine just asking "WHY" you feel the need to down a 6 pack...

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
So I just got back from a performance that I did at an "assisted living" facility. So basically it was all old people and it just went really really bad. My magic was flawless, but for instance most of the time the spectators couldn't remember what card they had chose etc etc etc. My performances almost ALWAYS go very well, tonight however was an epic fail. They weren't responsive at all. I think they just didn't understand what was going on, even though I tried to make everything as simple and easy for them as possible. So does anyone have any tips or advice on what to do when this kind of performance happens??? Basically I figure I will down a 6 pack tonight, get up tomorrow, shake it off and get ready for my next performance. Any thoughts or ideas please feel free to share. Thanks:confused:

Just get over it!!!! nobody here is perfect, I bet everybody here has had a bad day in magic, but we get over it and just move on and learn of this kind of things..
btw a 6 pack is the classic way out for people that can´t handle the pressure or failure, this happens to everyone

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Just get over it!!!! nobody here is perfect, I bet everybody here has had a bad day in magic, but we get over it and just move on and learn of this kind of things..
btw a 6 pack is the classic way out for people that can´t handle the pressure or failure, this happens to everyone

He said he was over it. I see nothing wrong with wanting to down a 6 pack.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Randy's given the best advice so far. This is one reason why magicians who have no versatility get shat on. Nothing that requires memory should be an obvious one when performing for older folks. Gotta be able to do stuff that doesn't involve "pick a card, any card".

On a side note, there's not really much you can do about it now. On the bright side, if they ever see you again - they probably won't remember you, so you'll have a clean slate :p

I remember a friend telling me a routine he did which once went horribly wrong. It started with a mental card force, which failed. So he then used their selection in a foolproof routine, and lost the card. He then proceeded to ask for their card, found it, and then demonstrate an ACR routine on the premise of "This card goes everywhere". He lost the card. He finally resorted to a self-working trick. And failed that too.

It happens to the best of us - he's a better magician than me, that's for sure. Head up, laugh about it later! :)

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Also for those of you who use the growing and shrinking head illusion (the spiral thing that goes round and round)....do not use this at an old folks home. I tried it this past summer and none of them could even bare to look at it long enough to get the visual effect to work. So....ha ha...that left me standing up there holding my spiral effect going...well....hmmm....ha ha. Lesson learned.

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
My first non-official gig was at an "assisted living" home filled with non-English speaking 60+ year old elders.

Lesson well learned.

Create your routines suited for different audiences.

-Visual (minimal patter) routine: For those who cannot understand English or remember very well + little memorisation.

-A classy table routine: For the dinner/ parlour audiences, or when at a semi formal meeting.

-A no set up, impromptu routine: Whenever you are caught with one of those "show me something!" moments.

The list goes on, but just be sure to be ready for whatever anything throws at you. Chances are these people will only see magic one in their lives, so you better make it something worthwhile!

-DL

Oct 12, 2009
Navarre, Florida
1. Look up a routine for toddlers.
2. Add in world war 2 jokes
3. ????????
4. PROFIT!!!!

Thats an almost serious answer. Maybe make a point to speak louder than usual and slow the pace down. Watch how the staff interact with them and take cues from that.

Places like that the people are just happy to have someone talk to them so make a sincere effort to be personable. Maybe use one of the staff for a trick. The audience would probably get a kick out of that. I don't believe anyone mentioned floating things yet.

Just don't try any muscle reading bits. Old people shake like a leaf you'll be walking in circles trying to find a key they hid and half-way into it who ever hid it will forget where they hid it. Then everyone else will forget why they are there and you'll just have a disoriented old man wondering why he is holding your wrist and he'll probably end up throwing his teeth at you.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
It can be a real pain turning up to a gig and finding that the situation isn't what you expected it to be.

Best bet is ALWAYS ask for as much detail as possible and work around the audience. I was booked for a gig a bit ago and I turned up, it was at a venue I do a lot of work with and all was well... Until I started performing and found out that about 2/3's of the crowd didn't really speak english... AH.

So you work around it - This is why it's good to have a wide and varied arsenal, incase of emergencies. Of course, it's a lot easier to improve a close up gig like that, but sit down and take into consideration everything that potentially could go wrong, as it most likely will at some point in your career!

It happens, just have a chill out sesh, move on and try and plan for it next time :)

DC

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results