As a Living

Aug 13, 2009
I really want to make magic my living. i kno to do this, u have to start getting gigs and jobs and stuff, but what age is a good idea to start all this??
I am 14, i think thats way too early, but just for my future referance??

Thanks and any further tips would be greatly appreciated

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I know that there are people who have started at your age. And there are also people who have started in their 30s and 40s. There's no universally accepted good age, although it doesn't hurt to start early. But do be aware that, however good you are, being so young, you may have trouble in terms of maturity and people taking you seriously. I'm currently 19, and I know now looking at 14 year olds from my high school, I can't help but think how young they really are.

What you need to do is be serious about it, not in the sense of practicing (though that to.) Don't be a kid showing them a neat card trick, really amaze not only your peers but the adults to. Show them you can freak them out with a deck or w/e you do and that you are the real deal.

There is a slim chance of you getting any restaurant gigs, instead do some birthday magic to start off with audience management, presence, and other experience builders. Once you have this experience you can then build on it until you reach an age where you know what to do and how to sell yourself.

I never read any books on getting gigs or anything, I just did what anybody would do for a job position and it worked very nicely. Though I do recommend buying some books and David Stone's material on getting gigs and some spectator management.

Best of Luck.

Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
I know that there are people who have started at your age. And there are also people who have started in their 30s and 40s. There's no universally accepted good age, although it doesn't hurt to start early. But do be aware that, however good you are, being so young, you may have trouble in terms of maturity and people taking you seriously. I'm currently 19, and I know now looking at 14 year olds from my high school, I can't help but think how young they really are.

I seem to be fine:D.........Most of the Time:p

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Yeah, you are, but...

a) I still think of you as hella young, and so do Pat, Phil, etc.
b) You're considerably better than the average teenager
c) The magic landscape is different in Australia. Things like restaurant magicians are basically completely obsolete/irrelevant/non-existant.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I think it is tough when you are young because people have the perceived notion that you are just some kid coming up and showing them a new little trick you learned on the internet.

I would perform at as many church functions, birthday gigs, scout meetings, hospitals, etc. as you can until you are 16 and then try working at a mom and pop type diner and earn hourly pay and work a few nights a week.

I don't think you will be able to go do some huge wedding gig quite yet because a lot of people are drinking and act like goofs at receptions and you could get your ego squashed very quickly if you don't have broad shoulders.

If you aren't in an IBM ring yet I highly suggest it. It is a great way to mature and hone in on your material. The ring will also from time to time have members who have backed out of a show that they took and then you can fill in for them and get paid for it. I had this happen multiple times the first year I joined the club.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results