Handout500 Steve Haynes/Paul Harris vs. Extreme Burn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2009
TITLE and Creator: Handout 500 Paul Harris/Steve Haynes

Effect: $1 to $100 bill change. Handing out all five bills cleanly

Price: $39.99 shipped

I own Extreme Burn so I will do a review and comparison with Handout 500.

I stuck with $1 to $20 bill change for Handout because I already have a $1 to $100 bill change with extreme burn

FYI, I just had 4 days of practice and performance to friends and family.

Teaching:
Teaching was very thorough in regards to angles, various changes and plenty of ways to end clean. However there was a hiccup in the training DVD when building the gimmick. You won't realize the hiccup until you perform it the 1st time since it's really noticeable. I PM'ed Steve in regards to fixing the gimmick and he immediately told me how to do fix it by simply reversing the application. After fixing the gimmick, I had more confidence with the performance. Janet Harris (Paul Harris' sister) posted a few tips and quick fixes on themagiccafe.com forum.

Quality of the video is HD clear.
The gimmick instructions on the DVD were explained in text and easy to read.
The performances was explained by Steve himself.
There's no loud annoying background music. It was nice and subtle.
Simple menus to navigate.
Bonus is a card to wallet. I don't carry cards on me so I won't review it.

9 of 10 Audio
10 of 10 Video
9 of 10 Teaching

Quality of materials:
Gimmick is easy to build. Took me about 25 minutes to complete the 1st gimmick.
I made 3 gimmicks so far
$1 to $20
$1 to five mismade $1 bills. It cost me over $66 just for this effect alone.
$2 window change which is just two $1 bills and a $2 bill. I can give out the $2 bill as a souvenir.

Materials will cost you less than $10 altogether.
It will cost you a lot more if you decide to do the $1 to $100 change.

**WARNING**
If you do plan to do the $1 to $100 change, you will have to make a VERY BIG DECISION since there's some cutting involved. There's a reason why I left my $100's with the extreme burn gimmick since I didn't have to do any cutting. Also I don't plan on handing out $100's to strangers unless they're a friend or family.

Difficulty:
Steve is a genius when he built this Handout gimmick/effect. The concepts are similar from Richard Sanders(Extreme Burn) and Corey Burke(Voracity) but Steve took it to a another level with the gimmick and bill change.

Handout wins for the gimmick

At first it was difficult to handle the gimmick but after a few practice runs I got used to it. I was already comfortable using the extreme burn effect but Handout 500 will definitely take some time to get used to.

Extreme burn wins for less difficulty for now.

Difficulty 3 of 10

Bill Count:
There were times when I was practicing where I would flash the $20 during the $1 bill counts because I had issues with the gripping. The gimmick would slide off exposing the $20's. Again, proper gripping will solve this issue. Also I had trouble counting the $1's since it would get stuck or I'd have dry fingers. There were times I had to peel off the $1's which caused a delay in the effect. I could either lick my fingers or apply roughing fluid on the bills to get a better grip on the bill count however I think I need to just break in the Handout gimmick to make a flawless performance. Besides I don't like licking my fingers. Conditioning the gimmick would solve this. I had an easier time doing the bill count with extreme burn.

Extreme burn wins the Bill Counting phase

Changes:
Steve goes over the various changes and there's already one magician that can do a Prophet change with Handout.

The Wave change is very clean and less suspect. Perfect for quiet environments.
The Jolt and Flutter changes are more visual than the wave change and I prefer these two changes since they're very similar to extreme burn changes. Minor angle issues and may not work well in quiet environments.

Handout wins the Change phase because the change involves the front and back. Much more visual than extreme burn and obviously you get to hand out the bills cleanly.

Clean Up:
Steve goes over various clean up methods using wallets, credit/library cards, sitting down, and standing up. I use the last clean up method explained in the DVD which doesn't involve giving out my wallet or a credit/library card. It's easy to ditch the Handout gimmick since the misdirection to the audience is pretty convincing once when I handout the $20's for inspection.

With extreme burn, I can display the fronts and backs of the $1's and $100's before and after the change without having to give it out. Even if I decide to give out a bill at the end, I will only give 1 of 4 $100 bills for the spectator to inspect. Majority of the time I just pocket the extreme burn effect and move on. Personally extreme burn is an easier clean up than Handout and I'm in control of my money. I don't have to worry about the extreme burn gimmick as much as the Handout gimmick.

Extreme burn wins the Clean Up phase.

Reset:
Handout is pretty easy to reset but may take about 5-6 seconds.
Extreme burn takes about 1-2 seconds to reset.

Extreme burn wins the Reset phase.

Applications:
Excellent for close up workers. Excellent reputation maker just like extreme burn. Do your smaller effects first use Handout as a closer since it does give a huge visual impact. A good commercial effect that should not be collecting dust on a shelf.

I will use both Handout and Extreme Burn respectively depending on my mood and environment. I do real estate investing on the side, so I'd use extreme burn with $1 to $100's. However on a daily use, I'd use Hand out with $1 to $20's to pay for things if necessary. I thought about using $100's for handout but I definitely do not want to be carrying over $1000 in cash for Extreme burn and Handout. For you guys, pick one or the other if you decide to use $100's in either effect.

Handout is the best commercial effect that came out for 2009. Kill your audience the 1st time with the change and kill them the 2nd time with the handout.

Handout Overall Rating: 8 of 10

I carry about 35 money effects in my himber wallet and my regular wallet at all times with no jacket. Just my jeans. I can probably add 20 more money effects if I get another himber wallet.

I also have rubber bands, 2 finger rings, a thumb tip, Freakey, and thumb cuffs at all times.

So for all you money magicians out there, here's what I carry.

1) Wonderland Bill (Bill puzzle by Nick Brown)
2) Two dollar window ($2 switch Jay Noblezada)
3) Inflated Transposition ($1 to $5 to $100 transpo by Joshua Jay)
4) 1 to 5 transpo (Jay Noblezada)
5) Bunko (Laminated bill counting Jim Steinmeyer)
6) Hornswoggled Again (Bill counting by Ron Bauer)
7) Shorty (Bill counting by Ray Grismer)
8) Passing the Buck v1 (Bill counting $1, $2, $5, $10 by Larry West/Doc Eason)
9) Passing the Buck v2 (Bill counting $10, $20, $50, $100 by Larry West/Doc Eason)
10)Kaps Currency ($11 bill count using $10 bills by Fred Kaps)
11) $1 mismade bill (switches 3 times by Jaxson)
12) Greed (Danny Garcia)
13) Fraud (Danny Garcia)
14) Extreme burn ($1 to $100 switch by Richard Sanders)
15) Handout 500 v1 ($1 to $20 switch by Steve Haynes)
16) Handout 500 v2 (five $1 to five mismade $1 bills switch by Steve Haynes)
17) Handout 500 v3 ($2 switch by Steve Haynes)
18) Pimpin (Card to Bill switch by Nathan Kranzo)
19) 3D Cash ($5 to $10 to $20 switch by Mark Allen)
20) Return of the Big Flap (Card to cash transpo by Chris Webb)
21) Copy Cash (Check to two $1 bill to $2 bill switch by Peter Eggink)
22) Time is Money ($2 window switch by Asi Wind)
23) Traveling Cash (Rubberband and bill by Dan Harlan)
24) Jacobs Ladder (Rubberband and bill by Danny Garcia)
25) Mismade $5 bill
26) Mislead (Ring and bill penetration)
27) Multiple Bill production (Thumb tip and bill switches by Juan Pablo)
28) Torn and Restored Bill (Jay Noblezada)
29) High Roller ($1 to $5 to $10 to $20 to $50 to $100 bill transpo by John Sheets)
30) Voracity ($1 to $5 transpo by Corey Burke)
31) Sponge Bills (Torn dollar into two/various sponge ball routines)
32) Bills over the head (Paper balls over the head with bills by Slydini)
33) Bill Matrix (Cards wrapped in dollar bills w/ coin matrix)
34) Ghost Bills (Bill penetration by Andrew Mayne)
35) Energy Bill (Bill mentalism by Andrew Gerard)

Alvin R.
Los Angeles, California

May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
Awesome review. I was very curious to see how these two compared to each other, and you did a great job, I have no more questions ;) Thanks a lot.

Your pockets must weigh like 30 pounds though, haha, that's a TON of stuff to be carrying, do you perform soooo often?

Oct 30, 2009
i perform half of my money effects that are high impact. rest i keep in my wallet so i can practice whenever im in a company meeting or im just waiting in line whenever im outside. it's tough to remember all these effects so i practice everything twice a month as refresher.

i used to perform a lot but now ive cut down since im acquiring more effects.

right now im into rubber bands, finger rings, and thumbcuffs.

Sep 17, 2008
Maryland
Nice review. I always wanted to get Extreme Burn to get the exact method he uses, there have been so many different bill changes published its hard to keep up with them all. But I do like the idea of handing the bills out right away. For me, just watching the previews, I would say that the clean up looks easier, and the changes look more visual on Hand out than Burn.

Thanks for the review, I need to just get one of them and stop complaining...

Feb 24, 2009
California
Extreme Burn - Was discontinued last week

Extreme Burn was discontinued. Richard Sanders is developing a 2.0 which is supposed to release by next month.... Inside info shh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results