Help Us Stop Magic Piracy

Jun 10, 2010
Ugh, can we get a mod to delete this?

@Magicator, PM this to JB.

What's funny is that you quoted him, thereby posting the link AGAIN.

And the site's been around a long time, from what I hear. Although I'm sure JB and countless others have tried talking to those guys.

Apr 2, 2011
Chicago, IL
Sure we can - there's laws against murder, rape and extortion, for instance. Prostitution (even with mutual consent), vigilante justice, hate speech, bookmaking on football and discrimination are also against the law, and clearly based on morality.

Based on morality yes. But someone is not thrown in jail because murder is "immoral." They are thrown in jail because it is illegal. While morality is certainly the basis for law, morality it not law. Something immoral can be legal, and something illegal can be moral. Also, morality can come down to an opinion, so that muddies the water a little.

Jun 10, 2010
Based on morality yes. But someone is not thrown in jail because murder is "immoral." They are thrown in jail because it is illegal. While morality is certainly the basis for law, morality it not law. Something immoral can be legal, and something illegal can be moral. Also, morality can come down to an opinion, so that muddies the water a little.

And why do you suppose things like murder and rape are illegal?

Your phrasing has only supported JButterfield's argument further.

New to forum not new to this topic. For years I have seen this very thing go on always made it a point to buy my props from those who invented the effect first not the cheaper knock off. I know in this economy many would go with the affordable price but as for me and my Christian ministry its a matter of principle and how can I as a Christian magician perform with a stolen effect in all honesty I can not. So I will pay that more if that what it cost to 1 support those I have met personally on many I know and call friends here and their many who call my city their home now and 2 to uphold my Christian values. I have always made it a point to to tell others I know of to avoid the rip-off's and seeing now that I have recourse here to notify those of links I find I will now do so here.

God bless

I think I have perhaps the biggest solution to cutting back on Magic Piracy. Stop giving in to the right now generation the instant satisfaction in other words stop making DVD of everything on how to perform it. Remember books anyone remember those? I have a vast library of them all devoted to history and performing perhaps every kind of magic you can think of. I will admit in many cases the DVD works for explaining a move but that is due to lack of communication skills and the time it takes to sit down write it out proof it let someone else read it and see if they can follow whats written to perform the same effect you had in mind. Trust me what may sound good to you as your writing sounds like garbage many time when read aloud or by someone else who didn't have your thoughts when you were typing the material out. I say stop giving into the "Give it to me now generation" Since people can get on the net and read what it is they are looking for to rip off it stands to reason they can read a book, when they realize they have to buy the book instead. I am fully aware books have been copied as well seen it happen to me on one occasion. I admit myself I own some DVD's on teaching but that is in part that there was no book available to me of the same material and I assure you I will buy the book over a DVD first. Print sometimes may be smaller than I like but thats why I have bi-focal That is my 10cents on the topic as always I keep eye out for what I see and I suggest everyone do the same. Please also remember to support your local magic shop in your area.

I support Denny's & Lee's Magic Studio, Las Vegas Nv 5115 Dean Martin Drive #105

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Though I prefer to learn from video I agree with you, books are the only answer to piracy at the moment.

Aug 5, 2011
Hello everyone.

I am a little bit confused about the piracy issue. I understand that uploading DVD content etc for people to download is a copyright problem, but does that also apply to teaching magic?

I guess what I am trying to ask is that: Is it ok to run classes to teach magic to people? Or put up tutorials that teach people? Or is that also considered piracy?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Aug 6, 2011
Illinois
What's almost as bad as piracy, is when someone gets a new magic dvd, watches it once, practices it once, and then posts a video on youtube of themselves "performing" it. It's not illegal, but it might as well be, when it's a giveaway of the trick

Sep 7, 2011
Brazil
ww.ibj.co.nz
It would be ideal if we could battle magic piracy but let's face it ... it has been tried by bigger bullies than any magic society could hope to conjure. The fact is that there is no law stopping kids from buying an effect, then performing it and revealing the secret in social networking media. They can even teach you how to create the gimmick that comes along with the effect if they choose to. This is really a grey area but i don't think any solution to magic piracy will be forthcoming very soon.

I think we need to use our creative minds to find a way to roll with it. I'd love to see it stop. Perhaps this will end with magicians inventing magic that requires real skill, or a gimmick made with advanced technology. In both of these cases simply downloading the video will get you nothing. Interesting and provoking topic.

As for the above post, you can lodge a complaint with youtube stating that this account is in direct breach of terms and conditions. They are making requests to trade videos. Good luck with that.

Aedion

Banned
Sep 30, 2011
I definitely don't support flagging videos that do a trick poorly. Youtube doesn't even look at flagged videos, and you're just abusing the system.

Oct 16, 2011
greece
i agree guys!!!those people make their living from this art and some other people ruin everything by posting tutorials videos etc!!!
i will report every video or link with exposures:)
united we stand guys!!!

Oct 22, 2011
I can't afford to buy tricks...

I can't afford to buy tricks... and the only decks i use and buy are bikes. But i know the most of the people can afford buying them and still reveal or pirate stuff. I learn magic from books borrowed from library..i respect artists too much to steal their work...

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 14, 2010
Croatia
http://rapidlibrary.com/files/theory11-joel-paschall-s-believe-mov_29946731.html

Pirated material that's uploaded directly onto various sharing sites can be controlled with active and willing community, torrent sites are the only real problem that unfortunately isn't going away. Torrent sites that definitely do the most damage are the ones that are specialized in magic piracy, such as http://artofmisdirection.com/account-login.php?returnto=/. The question is, what can we do that the music, film, gaming and other industries cannot?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results