Looking for a new book/DVD

J.T

Nov 7, 2009
Hey everyone,

I just got royal road to card magic last month and it's a great book. i want to know if there are any other books or DVDs out there which can teach you various good tricks with cards.

P.S Just for them people who are starting off with card magic buy royal road to card magic its a great book!

Oct 27, 2009
Philippines
Dai Vernon's lecture notes, they're quite rare (perhaps) - printed/created/written by some I forgot the name of that guy.

Diplopia - Paul Vigil

And the supplement for that [royal road] book, forgot the title, I guess its Expert Card Handling?.

Erdnase (which, I pressume you've already read).

Daniel Garcia's.

Try coin magic too, J.b. Bobo's Modern Coin Magic.

Edit:

Paper Machine too.

And, if you got some extra cash, Smooth Operations.

Ah, DVDs, hmm.

Trilogy

Stigmata (worth it)

Control.

Reflection - Bill Goodwin (I don't know if its available, I still don't have enough money for that).

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 29, 2009
Juancard,

Those are some pretty bad recommendations considering that he's just got Royal Road.

What other items have you got so far? Are you into tabled work or in the hands, walking around kind of work?

Let us know and I can recommend some more specific books and dvds you'd like.

Eddie

Oct 27, 2009
Philippines
Juancard,

Those are some pretty bad recommendations considering that he's just got Royal Road.

What other items have you got so far? Are you into tabled work or in the hands, walking around kind of work?

Eddie

Ah, sorry, I forgot to ask if he has other books or DVDs, or his experience, sorry.

But he can still check those stuff out soon. :)

J.T

Nov 7, 2009
Juancard,

Eddie

Well i started magic a month ago, i like both in hands and on table but i prefer hands more. And i do magic on the street. The only thing i have is Royal tonte. And of course i have Royal road. Thanks for yyour help!

Aug 27, 2008
Tijuana bC
juancard dont give any advice man ... lol control? with cards? look erdnase is gonna be very confusing but try seeing the book and complement it with youtube... there you can see how the move is actually done... if your a beginner.. I would go with oz pearlman's dvd its good its on penguin there he will get you started on card magic, dont go to advanced... onces you mastered various card sleights, you shoudl invest in a gaffed deck they can make your routine look pro... really dude gaffed decks are great.

J.T

Nov 7, 2009
juancard dont give any advice man ... lol control? with cards? look erdnase is gonna be very confusing but try seeing the book and complement it with youtube... there you can see how the move is actually done... if your a beginner.. I would go with oz pearlman's dvd its good its on penguin there he will get you started on card magic, dont go to advanced... onces you mastered various card sleights, you shoudl invest in a gaffed deck they can make your routine look pro... really dude gaffed decks are great.

Which Oz Pearlman DVD are you talking about?

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
if you're doing mainly cards, I'd strongly suggest investing in Robert Giobbi's "Card College" series. It's a bit pricy, but there is enough stuff in there to last you a lifetime. Hell, even if you got just got the first volume down, you'd have enough material to create a complete routine.

Oct 27, 2009
Philippines

Yes, I know control doesn't use cards, I suggested them so he can take a look at it and maybe, just maybe, add it in his repertoire - plus, it's not that hard to do.

Gaffs? I don't think using gaffs early in your career is a good idea, a month of card handling, I assume that less than half of that is placed on street performances, once you test the streets, specs would try their best to check the pack specially if a gaff is used, aside from double backers (well, that's in my case, I live in asia btw, don't know about other places, people react differently to magic).

To tell you the truth, those advices of mine may be hard, but I'm not telling him to learn them now, of course, if there's a sleight/move there that's a bit difficult to do, then its his responsibility to search some moves that would replace a specific sleight.

I won't suggest crash course and the likes, why? It may be simple sleights, but those stuff may be learned from youtube, I'm thinking about saving. And he can always try to find magicians in his place that'll take him as an apprentice, that's what I did, and I saved a lot.

ps, to thread starter,

try the Encyclopedia of Card Sleights (not sure about the title), it has, I think, 8 volumes, which will teach you some stuff. I don't know where to find it though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Yes, I know control doesn't use cards, I suggested them so he can take a look at it and maybe, just maybe, add it in his repertoire - plus, it's not that hard to do.

Gaffs? I don't think using gaffs early in your career is a good idea, a month of card handling, I assume that less than half of that is placed on street performances, once you test the streets, specs would try their best to check the pack specially if a gaff is used, aside from double backers (well, that's in my case, I live in asia btw, don't know about other places, people react differently to magic).

To tell you the truth, those advices of mine may be hard, but I'm not telling him to learn them now, of course, if there's a sleight/move there that's a bit difficult to do, then its his responsibility to search some moves that would replace a specific sleight.

I won't suggest crash course and the likes, why? It may be simple sleights, but those stuff may be learned from youtube, I'm thinking about saving. And he can always try to find magicians in his place that'll take him as an apprentice, that's what I did, and I saved a lot.

ps, to thread starter,

try the Encyclopedia of Card Sleights (not sure about the title), it has, I think, 8 volumes, which will teach you some stuff. I don't know where to find it though.

lol. First you give terrible advice. Then you mention learning from YouTube (i.e. exposure). Add finally, you recommend something you don't even have?! That's terrible!

J.T. - Congrats on taking the first step into magic. Royal Road is perhaps the best, or one of, starting places for card magic available. So enjoy the path.

As far as further learning materials go, I'd suggest that your next step should be the first volume of Roberto (I always want to call this guy Ed, I have no idea why) Giobbi's series Card College. If Royal Road isn't the best starting place for card magic, Card College surely is.

Oz Pearlman's Born to Perform DVD is also a good starting point for any magician.

For a more well-rounded introduction to magic, try Tarbell's Complete Course in Magic.

Joshua Jay and Mark Wilson also have excellent books which you'll find suitable, named Magic: The Complete Course and Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic respectively.

Oct 27, 2009
Philippines
lol. First you give terrible advice. Then you mention learning from YouTube (i.e. exposure). Add finally, you recommend something you don't even have?! That's terrible!

J.T. - Congrats on taking the first step into magic. Royal Road is perhaps the best, or one of, starting places for card magic available. So enjoy the path.

As far as further learning materials go, I'd suggest that your next step should be the first volume of Roberto (I always want to call this guy Ed, I have no idea why) Giobbi's series Card College. If Royal Road isn't the best starting place for card magic, Card College surely is.

Oz Pearlman's Born to Perform DVD is also a good starting point for any magician.

For a more well-rounded introduction to magic, try Tarbell's Complete Course in Magic.

Joshua Jay and Mark Wilson also have excellent books which you'll find suitable, named Magic: The Complete Course and Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic respectively.

I have those stuff, except for the one mentioned above -- and don't act as if I haven't read/looked at those.

And I'm being practical here, I know it's exposure, but you can save, be reasonable man, find some decent resources without spending anything. Next thing you guys'll suggest is a book about "How to do a swing cut".

And I've known magicians who learned without buying the resources suggested here, and trust me, they're good performers.

Ps, I don't support exposure, but since it's there, might as well look at 'em.

Oct 27, 2009
Philippines
Sigh. Ok, nevermind my post, it was terrible they say; the last thing I want to happen is have a debate with my fellow magicians over some trivial matters.

Sep 23, 2009
try learning the pass. I used ninja 1 to learn it, but i am not sure if i should recommend it. I thought it was great, but a lot of people said it was a very bad teaching of the pass, but that is how i learned the pass

i would seriously look into any good dvd or book that goes over the pass, i use it all the time, it is an amazing sleight that has countless applications

once you do that, buy the paper engine. i thought it was over hyped, but once you are an intermediate card magician, buy that book. i found it to be the best card magic book i have ever read.

good luck on your journey

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
try learning the pass. I used ninja 1 to learn it, but i am not sure if i should recommend it. I thought it was great, but a lot of people said it was a very bad teaching of the pass, but that is how i learned the pass

i would seriously look into any good dvd or book that goes over the pass, i use it all the time, it is an amazing sleight that has countless applications

once you do that, buy the paper engine. i thought it was over hyped, but once you are an intermediate card magician, buy that book. i found it to be the best card magic book i have ever read.

good luck on your journey

the pass isn't really a necessity, unless you're really into table work like gambling routines and such.

juancard please stop giving advice for the moment. People would thank you in the future if they knew what you didn't tell them.

I mean set aside for the moment the fact that you are in fact supporting exposure (watching it is supporting it). The "tutorials" on youtube are all godawful, and by sending people down that path you are doing them a huge disservice. Yea you can "learn" a pass on youtube. And if you don't have a problem with sucking then i suggest you do learn it from youtube. Otherwise make sure to use a credible source.

That being said. CARD COLLEGE IS THE BEST THING SINCE ROYAL ROAD. And much better in my opinion. Make the investment and buy volume one. Its not that expensive. You will love it (make sure to read everything, yes even "how to hold a pack", from front to back and you will be glad you did) and you will definitely be buying volumes 2, 3, 4, 5 afterwords.

That is the best advice i can give you. You will build a very solid foundation, learn tons of techniques, learn a wealth of great tricks and during the process get many references future purchases.

The one downside of card college is that it will spoil you for other books because the writing is so darn clear and easy to understand. When you pick up another book you will be pissed that roberto didn't write it. But that's just a small downfall that i think is acceptable.:D

I will give you a few dvd references too. Gregory Wilson's dvd "Double Take" is phenomenal. Paul Greens classic force dvd is also great (almost any dvd produced by magic smith tends to be really good for some reason). Born to perform card magic by Oz Pearlman is a great starter dvd like some of these guys have said. And the last one is a video i've never heard much talk about. Probably mainly because its old. But volume one of the lost tapes with earl nelson is absolute gold. He goes over the pass, the double lift and card palming. Only one trick is taught (the cavorting aces) to show the passes in context but it is full of really great instruction on some really foundational moves.

I only recommend stuff that i have no regrets about buying and am truely glad to have found. You won't be sorry to have purchased anything i listed there. Have fun.

Sep 1, 2007
My list of beginner books and all around essentials are;
Royal Road to Card Magic (Covers all of the basics for a very cheap price),
Expert Card Technique (Much like Card College Vol.2 to Vol.1),
Card College series (The books may be pricey but by the time you have finished and mastered Vol.1 you will have enough money for vol.2, Also this set should be your number 1 reference source),
Expert at the Card Table (Another essential book to have)
Peace out.
-Will.

Jul 18, 2009
That being said. CARD COLLEGE IS THE BEST THING SINCE ROYAL ROAD. And much better in my opinion. Make the investment and buy volume one. Its not that expensive. You will love it (make sure to read everything, yes even "how to hold a pack", from front to back and you will be glad you did) and you will definitely be buying volumes 2, 3, 4, 5 afterwords.

Agreed

If you can get your hands on it I would suggest getting The Amateurs Magician Handbook by Henry Hay. A great course in magic.

When you start getting into more advanced card technique a great book is Revolutionary Card Technigue by Ed Marlo. Although it will run you around $70.00 it is a TREMENDOUS book.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results