Offending people with my magic... what to do?

Nov 25, 2007
Post edited due to an overwhelming responce of great suggestions from all of the amazingly talented forum members here!

Big hugs and much love,

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 4, 2009
I didn't really get what you were getting at there... You want to offend your family members with your magic?

Nov 25, 2007
You guys are the best, thanks once again for all the great advice...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 4, 2009
If you are so set to put your little "personal touches" into the performance what really can you do if they become offended. How big is the crowd going to be...

May 3, 2008
I'm a bit confused as to what you're getting at but I'll do my best. I think you saw how David involved people's personal memories into his tricks that were a bit embarrassing. As an adult, this can be amusing, but if not, it can be offensive or rude.

And do not, I repeat, DO NOT, incorporate personal deaths or suicides into the effect. I saw someone do an effect once which was a floating bill and he asked them if they had someone close to them who had passed away. They said yes. He said that he would ask that spirit's help to do something. He said that their dead family member was floating the bill. I thought that was completely rude. He using the death of his spectator's family member to make himself seem like a better magician. That was a bit of a harsh thing to do in my opinion and it seemed to mock them.

Personally,

I dislike most effects which involve some form of story regarding death, or anything as such. I just really dont see a point.

I am a little unsure about what you actually want from us Ashley, as it seems you are probably all set to perform in the way you intend to/want to.

I know David performs with a story regarding his Grandfather (from memory) and as nice as its done, it really has to be done tastefully.

Good luck Ashley, and hopefully it all goes down well!

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Hi Ashley,

This is one of the best questions I've seen asked over here, I'm glad you asked it. It obviously isn't an easy question to answer or to ask, and I'm sorry to hear about the things that haven't gone so well in your life.

The way I would respond to that is this. Just to make this clear, this is just one person's opinion. I would make a clear distinction here:

As far as the people who knew this person go, or rather, direct family members, I would talk to them about exactly what you want to do. If you do it respectfully, I see no reason why they should be offended by a tribute to their loved one's life. I would put their feelings about your show on the highest pedestal. Your friend's passing has, unfortunately, caused everyone lots of grief as it is - this is something we cannot change now. But nothing in that friend's name should cause more grief either, no matter how well intentioned it is. Certainly, entertainment should not do so, not even a well-intentioned tribute. But, as I mentioned before, a tribute should be a celebration as much as anything else, and done tastefully, I don't see why they would be offended by the idea.

However, when we come to the general public, or people who perhaps knew the friend, or knew of them... Well. You are entertaining, and you are paying tribute in a way that expresses how you feel. Now, one of the most basic rights we have is the right to free speech. And the most important part of this right is not that we have the right to say our mind; the most important part of this right is that we have the right to say and do things that are sometimes hurtful or offensive, things that people do not like. Granted, I cannot simply abuse someone on the street - but what I can do is express an opinion that many people dislike.

What we can take from this is that no-one has a specific right not to be offended. Of course, if anyone is offended, it will probably be from a good place, be for a good reason. So at least take heart that people are good. It's good that you care, as well. But at the end of the day, the alternative is to not do what you think is right - not honour your friend, not pay tribute, not do what you want to do, and not follow your own heart, and that is too big a loss to simply take.

Good luck with your show.

Sep 1, 2007
Ashley,

My adivce would be to let people know BEFORE they come to the show, what they may experience. What I mean by that is to let you advertising material inform your audiance about the topics/themes that may be in the show.

I have crossed the line several times in shows that I shouldn't have. People would come up to me after the show and complain because they had children and all that.

So, I changed my advertising to let people know that there would be adult themes and it was NOT a family friendly show.

This weeds out those who may be offended.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I think opening with an effect that is non-offensive, but definitely something that commands respect from your audience would be the best start. From the start they'll like/respect you as an artist (if it's an artistic piece) and then you can do whatever effects you'd like.

The great part of a stand-up/stage show is that people are paying to see the magic, so they've invested money into it already, if you can get their attention/respect early and connect with them on a light-hearted level, then transitioning is a matter of breaking the show into two parts. If you have enough time (hour or longer show) you can do an intermission, almost like Darren Brown does with his Evening of Wonders show.

When they get back from intermission you should have a slightly different light set, and a different tone of voice. Your intro monologue after the intermission should set them up for what they're about to experience.

If you don't have that kind of time, allot 3-4 minutes of the show to take what they've seen and calm the excitement and change the tone to a more serious act. I've never been so bold as to mix the two into one performance, but I have done magic for someone that is light-hearted and then the next time I saw them performed something more along what you're talking about.

With the offending people, "You can't all of the people all of the time,and last night all those people were at my show.” -Mitch Hedberg.

You can set them up with a short speech, and hope they respect you and your magic enough to remain open minded. I am a rare oddity, I don't get offended...ever...even when someone is trying to offend me. Life's a joke, and if you either get the joke, or you're the butt of it. Not something I'd tell my audience but you should be keen as to this next quote.

"If you make people think they're thinking they'll love you: but if you really make them think, they'll hate you."
Don Marquis

Challenging someone with a thought over religion or politics or doing an act that some people think is distasteful will cause some people to be dissatisfied with your act. If you do the piece of magic well, and the performance surrounding it is done with respect, nobody should have any reason to be upset.

Alright, my scattered brain has thought enough for now. If you wanted to PM me and talk about it more I could try and clarify/give more(or better) advice.

Nov 25, 2007
I just wanted to thank all here for their rock awesome advice, you guys really are the most amazing performers this side of the internet forums... big hugs to all... cheers!:)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results