Favorite Effect from Art of Astonishment - ONLY ONE!

Jun 29, 2008
He means photocopy, you take the book, open up to the page, place it on the machine, and print a few copies so he can take notes on those... That's what I got from his messages, but I honestly don't know.

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
He means photocopy, you take the book, open up to the page, place it on the machine, and print a few copies so he can take notes on those... That's what I got from his messages, but I honestly don't know.

But why do so, IF he already has the book in the first place? There would be no need to do that.

Inferno Kaiser

May 25, 2009
But why do so, IF he already has the book in the first place? There would be no need to do that.

Inferno Kaiser

I'm not defending him in any shape or form but it's possible he might want to read it while on the bus or grabbing a coffee. I do that occasionally with my textbooks which are a pain in the ass to lug around.

This is assuming Arts of Astonishment is a heavyset volume to begin with though.

Nov 8, 2007
I'm not defending him in any shape or form but it's possible he might want to read it while on the bus or grabbing a coffee. I do that occasionally with my textbooks which are a pain in the ass to lug around.

This is assuming Arts of Astonishment is a heavyset volume to begin with though.

I don't think that's the case. According to what he wrote he was printing out the entire books:
Printing the 3 volumes out now...

Everything he says after that is just backpedaling.

First he says he's never read the AoA books because they're too long.

Then he says he's printing them out so he can read them.

Then he says he's just making photocopies for himself of his favorite pages... which are from his own books.

Sorry, I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but his story is nonsensical.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
I don't think that's the case. According to what he wrote he was printing out the entire books:

I agree with you Mat, his story doesn't add up and I see no point into printing ALL 3 volumes IF he already has the books, which already were printed for him.

Inferno Kaiser

Nov 8, 2007
Counterfiet Spectator. I save this one for when I really want to destroy someones sense of reality. I love it.

LOVE this effect. It would be right behind Leaf for me. I've only had a few opportunities to perform CS, but whenever I have it's done exactly what you said: destroyed their sense of reality.

Sep 1, 2007
Cleveland, Ohio
LOVE this effect. It would be right behind Leaf for me. I've only had a few opportunities to perform CS, but whenever I have it's done exactly what you said: destroyed their sense of reality.

Thats one souvenire (sp?) they will in fact keep for ever. Signed cards go right to the trash. A bill with their name on it? Its just so impossible, especially if you make the gimmick well.

Sep 1, 2007
Cleveland, Ohio
I must stress the point someone made earlier that any time you open one of these books, youll find something new. Anyone reading this who doesnt own this whole set, STOP WHAT YOURE DOING. BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING ELSE, ANYTHING, YOU SAVE UP FOR THIS! You wont regret it, these book will serve you for a lifetime I promise! And not only are they full of fantastic effects, but theyre very entertaining to read too. PH is hilarious.

Dec 25, 2008
Malaysia
Ok so let me CLARIFY CLEARER:

1. Im trying to say that im printing it out, it means to be PHOTOSTAT FROM THE BOOK not from whatever. Doesnt mean the whole 3 volumes.

2. Stop accusing people are doing illegal things. youre hurting people's feeling before doing your judgement.

3. THIS IS WHY I PRINTED IT OUT: If your reading a book like that in your class, chances are your classmate will grab your book and read it. That what i don't want to see.

4. If you guys still got problem with me doing with my book, just shoot me a pm and i'll clarify your ass until u understand what im talking right here.

5. I don't speak english well. Thats the reason why I have problem in this forum to share ideas with you guys. So stop using particular words to pick a fight.

6. Sorry to spoil the mood of this thread.

7. I SAY AGAIN 1 MORE TIME: IM NOT PRITING OUT ALL PAGES, JUST THE FEW PAGES THAT I WOULD LIKE TO READ.

8. DON'T KEEP USING THE TERMS PRINTING OUT ALL THREE VOLUMES. IM "PHOTOCOPYING" SOME PARTS OF THE BOOK.

sOORY

Nov 8, 2007
I must stress the point someone made earlier that any time you open one of these books, youll find something new. Anyone reading this who doesnt own this whole set, STOP WHAT YOURE DOING. BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING ELSE, ANYTHING, YOU SAVE UP FOR THIS! You wont regret it, these book will serve you for a lifetime I promise! And not only are they full of fantastic effects, but theyre very entertaining to read too. PH is hilarious.

Totally. Not only is the magic strong but the descriptions are extremely entertaining. And then you add in the bits of theory--makes for a great read all around.

Jan 10, 2008
I would have to say "Reset", even though there have been many different handlings of it throughout the years, I would have to stick with this as my favorite. Paul Harris took an all ready kick ass Bro. John Hamman effect "The Underground Transposition" and impossibly made it stronger. I believe it's one of the strongest effects you could do with only 8 ungaffed cards. I always get the best reactions with it.

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
I know this thread is very old.. but I bought AoA a few months ago and love Improv Nightshades. It's so fun to do, and has an instant reset.

Also, even though I am supposed to only pick one, I would have to say Solid Deception.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results