GENESIS :: First Thoughts

Dec 18, 2008
Well, since I have just finished watching this Cardistry DVD, I cannot say this is a review, but just to give you guys an idea of how this Andrei Jikh presentation fares against others. Anyways, I am more of a sleight-of-hand magician with a small knowledge of cardistry. I bought this as I wanted to learn some cardistry flourishes and cuts.

What it says::Nearly 4 hours of training on 30+ moves...
After nearly a year of planning and production, theory11 is proud to unveil the first installment in Andrei Jikh's highly anticipated three DVD anthology on the art of cardistry - GENESIS. This is volume one.

Comprehensive Cardistry + GENESIS is a project representing literally hundreds of hours of work and years of innovation on the part of one of the most influential names in the cardistry community today - Andrei Jikh.

As the DVD showcases countless moves, there is no way I will go over each one. Just give you a raw idea on the overall quality of this DVD.

Quality: 10/10
No comment.

Atmosphere/Feel: 7/10
Andrei films this in his "home studio", in more specifics, a complet black background. I would have preferred a more professional approach to the feel, but this black background makes learning so much easier as there are no distractions. Good choice, but maybe not the best.

Moves: 9/10
Very wide and comprehensive, perhaps 1/3 to 1/2 the moves are basic moves, thus I probably can't give it a perfect score. Still AMAZING, as the original moes are brilliant.

Visuality: 10/10
His "style and flair" makes the simplest of cuts, the most basic of flourishes look good. The more complex ones are just beautiful. Amazing visuality by an amazing artist.

Practicality: 8/10
I can see myself using most of these moves in my arse-nal (as he says), but maybe some like the one-handed suffle or the scissor cut, I won't use so much. Overall, very practical

Explanations: 9/10
Watching his 1 on 1s, Andrei is a fast teacher and assumes that you know what he is doing, one of my concerns. However, he goes through them with much clarity and drills the information to your head in Genesis. Maybe one or two flourishes like the Angel, he goes very birefly, because they are simple or it is created by another artist. Great job.

Advice: 10/10
Andrei doesn't just explain them to you, in each flourish or cut, there is an introduction (history or inspiration) and a conclusion (tips and advice). He tells you how to overcome certain problems or various flourishes, making the learning process so much easier. The DVD is flawless on this aspect.

Overall: 9/10
Andrei Jikh has done a great job in his first DVD. Indeed, it is one of the greatest cardistry projects. For cardistry fans, go for it. Whether you are a beginner or advanced cardist, Andrei gives you tips on how to expand simple flourishes into mastering them, even if you know how. A success.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
since this is the most recent Genesis thread i'll post this here. I just wanted to express a very specific thank you to Andrei. Ive been doing cardistry for about 7 months now, and im pretty good, not great but getting better. I can do the trilogy cuts, Dangerous, armspreads, etc, the usuals but the two things i have never been able to do for the life of me are the one handed fans ( not the smear fan the self opening) and the thumb cut. After watching this dvd I CAN FINALLY DO THE FREAKING THUMB CUT!!!!! you are the first person ive seen put that much time explaining the proper way to get into it and i found that i was doing it wrong, within 5 minutes of trying it your way and BAM i can do a thumb cut, i nearly shat my britches. Just wanted to say thank you for that and producing an awesome and IN DEPTH dvd.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
since this is the most recent Genesis thread i'll post this here. I just wanted to express a very specific thank you to Andrei. Ive been doing cardistry for about 7 months now, and im pretty good, not great but getting better. I can do the trilogy cuts, Dangerous, armspreads, etc, the usuals but the two things i have never been able to do for the life of me are the one handed fans ( not the smear fan the self opening) and the thumb cut. After watching this dvd I CAN FINALLY DO THE FREAKING THUMB CUT!!!!! you are the first person ive seen put that much time explaining the proper way to get into it and i found that i was doing it wrong, within 5 minutes of trying it your way and BAM i can do a thumb cut, i nearly shat my britches. Just wanted to say thank you for that and producing an awesome and IN DEPTH dvd.

I have the same experience as you, but with different moves. I NEVER managed to do one handed shuffle, and long distance spinner. After 2 minutes watching Andrei's explanation, I could do BOTH.

Definitely the best cardistry project ever. Get it NOW.

Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
After watching genesis, I still can't do the thumb cut. Now my middle finger isn't long enough.

What??!!? I'm confused...

All you're doing with your middle finger is levering the deck up toward your thumb in regards to the grab. As long as your middle finger is long enough to reach the center of the card (just under two inches -- even midgets have longer fingers than that...), you're fine. Most of us need to bend (not extend) the middle finger. Your issue seems to more of where you position the deck in your hand before levering the deck.

Practice. If the deck keeps falling out of your hand, then it's an issue of hand pitch or tilt: forward/back pitch and left/right pitch. You're going to have to play with tilt angle to control the deck and keep it centered.

After the grab, the finger curls in to clip the packet between itself and the forefinger and ring finger, in which case again the middle finger is bent.

The problem you're stating (length of the finger), has no bearing on the Thumb Cut as you're not trying to reach for anything during the cut. Maybe you've named the wrong cut, or you need to make sure what you're trying to do is what Andrei is teaching you to do.

If your problem is something else, elaborate more so the forum members can get you the right help.

May 9, 2008
Thanks!! After watching the genesis Thumb Cut tutorial about 15 times, I finally saw what I needed to see. It's one of those EUREKA! moments. I can finally do the Thumb Cut. It's really sloppy right now, but with practice, hopefully that will go away.

Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Funny... I went back and found that somewhere between watching the video and that last post, I switched how I was performing my thumb cut -- just like in my description above, I unknowingly switched how I clip the fingered-packet. Andrei said the middle finger comes over the top and the pointer, ring and pinky curls underneath it, while my description was opposite...

So now to REALLY answer JetEye's question (even though his next post said he reviewed the vid and figured it out...) on the just in case anyone else following this thread needs help.

After reviewing the tape I tried it and out of 15 attempts I got it once like how Andrei explains it, which, just like magic sleights tells me it's possible. Now all I need is practice. With a short middle finger, I can't reach around and grab the fingered packet even 3% of the time like Andrei does, so I go to his next suggestion, letting the packet fall onto my middle finger. the 3% I can, just tells me I need to be more precise on the deck position in my hand in order to execute, which means it's an issue of practice and time.

My next suggestion, just to give my hands the practice of the dynamics of the cut is to use half the deck in each hand. NOW I can grab the fingered packet with my middle finger. the plan is to gradually add more cards as I get better. Plus what I really want to do is perform the cut like Huron Low anyway...

Just thought I'd addendum my last post for anyone I confused (besides myself that is...)

Nov 3, 2009
thanks, sounds really great, i think i'm going to buy a week today.........

[edit] - are theory11 DVD's region coded? if anybody knows

very, very doubtful. there are always ways of getting around region encoded dvds, but since they ship to a international market there is NO reason to region encode a dvd.

Nov 10, 2009
Genesis volume 1 is the best cardistry dvd. However, i wonder if the perfect teaching will last in volume 2 or 3, let's hope that Andrei and T11 can keep up with the perfect teaching in the rest of Genesis series.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results