Magic Project for School

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
I am doing a project about magic for my AP english class.
It's about if magic is an art or not. I know there are many threads about this but my search function is not working, so can people give me reverences to such threads that talk about this subject?

Also if you want, you can just talk about it in this thread. Thanks.

I am doing a project about magic for my AP english class.
It's about if magic is an art or not. I know there are many threads about this but my search function is not working, so can people give me reverences to such threads that talk about this subject?

Also if you want, you can just talk about it in this thread. Thanks.
hello, hey man, "the art of magic" is indeed a performance art...its one of the oldest forms of art this world has ever witnessed. magic is a legit form of performance art because there are institutes and both government funded, as well as independent ran to teach the fundamentals of such....just as dance, theatre, and other performance arts, the art of magic takes time and preparation to master and make look graceful.....

hope that helps...

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I've been thinking a lot about magic and it being (or not being) art.

I'm under the personal belief that effects in and of themselves are not art. Magic tricks are not art.

Not all performances are art either. Gambling demonstrations, beautiful when watched by magicians, are nothing more than demonstrations of how to cheat when seen by laymen.

Magic of any caliber, presented correctly, can be art. The act of performing magic can be considered art, but even the most beautifully executed sleight is just a skill. Being able to deter someones attention to do secret moves is not art, it is a skill you obtain over time with practice. Putting everything together in such a way that your audience is entertained and you've created a moment of suspended belief or actually drawn out a theatrical style performance...that is art.

All art in magic stems from presentation, but not every presentation is considered art, I would say.

I've more ideas, but I'll just leave you with that to chew on for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been thinking a lot about magic and it being (or not being) art.

I'm under the personal belief that effects in and of themselves are not art. Magic tricks are not art.

Not all performances are art either. Gambling demonstrations, beautiful when watched by magicians, are nothing more than demonstrations of how to cheat when seen by laymen.

Magic of any caliber, presented correctly, can be art. The act of performing magic can be considered art, but even the most beautifully executed sleight is just a skill. Being able to deter someones attention to do secret moves is not art, it is a skill you obtain over time with practice. Putting everything together in such a way that your audience is entertained and you've created a moment of suspended belief or actually drawn out a theatrical style performance...that is art.

All art in magic stems from presentation, but not every presentation is considered art, I would say.

I've more ideas, but I'll just leave you with that to chew on for now.
i totally disagree, "magic" is simply an act of accultism...."the art of magic" is a pure form of art...actually magicians aren't really magicians...they are basically actors... who portray to have special powers... so the art of magic is basically a performance, which is a simple form of acting....

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
so the art of magic is basically a performance, which is a simple form of acting....

I agree with this statement, and maybe unclearly stated it myself.

If you call yourself a magician and perform magic, then you can call yourself an artist...if you're any good.

Just because someone is on a stage in a play doesn't mean they're any good. A bad performance isn't art, it's a waste of audience members time and money.

I'll give an example of what I was saying in the first post.

Everyone knows if you mix baking soda and vinegar you get a reaction. This is the stuff elementary school science is made of.
If you tell them you have a volcano, and this is what you put in to demonstrate its eruption.
Not magic...not art, though fun to watch.

But say you took the principle of vinegar and baking soda and made an effect where the contents of a glass starts overflowing/multiplying in terms of volume. It's the same damn thing...only the way you present it differs. (obviously don't just say vinegar and now I add this magic powder...do it all secretly, you know)

When a magician performs magic, it is art. I agree with this.

But 'magic' is so much more as a whole. The presentation aspect, the performing aspect, is just one slice of the larger pie that is magic.
There are communities (t11, penguin..etc), there are concepts and theories...these parts of magic are not art. And when you ask if 'magic' is an art I take into consideration more than just performances.

I agree with this statement, and maybe unclearly stated it myself.

If you call yourself a magician and perform magic, then you can call yourself an artist...if you're any good.

Just because someone is on a stage in a play doesn't mean they're any good. A bad performance isn't art, it's a waste of audience members time and money.

I'll give an example of what I was saying in the first post.

Everyone knows if you mix baking soda and vinegar you get a reaction. This is the stuff elementary school science is made of.
If you tell them you have a volcano, and this is what you put in to demonstrate its eruption.
Not magic...not art, though fun to watch.

But say you took the principle of vinegar and baking soda and made an effect where the contents of a glass starts overflowing/multiplying in terms of volume. It's the same damn thing...only the way you present it differs. (obviously don't just say vinegar and now I add this magic powder...do it all secretly, you know)

When a magician performs magic, it is art. I agree with this.

But 'magic' is so much more as a whole. The presentation aspect, the performing aspect, is just one slice of the larger pie that is magic.
There are communities (t11, penguin..etc), there are concepts and theories...these parts of magic are not art. And when you ask if 'magic' is an art I take into consideration more than just performances.
ok....my fault, totally understand what you were saying...

n:b

Jul 7, 2009
sites.google.com
they are basically actors... who portray to have special powers...

I wouldnt neseceraly say that bra. I NEVER portray myself as someone who has "special powers". One, its corny as hell. And two. People arent stupid. Of course, there are some who try and portray themselves in that way, and the audience feels insulted. I never use the word "magically", or try to get the audience to believe that i am "magical" when I perform. I try to entertain audiences, and have a good time. Not fool them. Nor make them believe that I am something I am not.

Mar 2, 2008
Wow everyone on this site keeps saying magic is an art, its said alot but I think not alot of us get it.

Art is a way of expressing yourself, so with YOUR presenation or YOUR own creation of a trick thats art because its a bit of you in it. Its not taking a trick and copying what the creator says word for word thats not art thats BS.

What was the original topic signed to you? I would consider re-thinking it, theres better topics then this.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I wouldnt neseceraly say that bra. I NEVER portray myself as someone who has "special powers". One, its corny as hell. And two. People arent stupid. Of course, there are some who try and portray themselves in that way, and the audience feels insulted. I never use the word "magically", or try to get the audience to believe that i am "magical" when I perform. I try to entertain audiences, and have a good time. Not fool them. Nor make them believe that I am something I am not.

I wonder why people consider that david blaine might actually have this spiritual power then?

Its called theatre kid. Thats the act magicians portray.

What your proposing is this new age,lackluster,street ghetto magic scene style thats just about a guy with (usually) a deck of cards and fast hands and an almost complete disregard for drama or what makes magic "magic".

n:b

Jul 7, 2009
sites.google.com
REGARDING FORUM TOPIC::

When someone asks me if magic is an art form, I tell them that art is in the eye of the beholder. Then I proceed to perform for them and let them form their own opinion. It useally ranges form "yeah, I can see that being art" to "I dont know if thats art or not. But that was some crazy ****. Do more." . So heres an idea.... Address the class and say:: My project was to dtermin if magic was an form of art or not. But you see, art is in the eye of the beholder. So tell me what you think.... then blow their freakin minds. (Id suggest doing Thread by W:H) Good luck.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC

You don't have to say the words 'magically' or something like 'when I snap my fingers the card will jump to the top' to get people to believe you have some sort powers. If you don't believe what you're doing is magic, your spectators will never believe it either, I'm sure this is what Cedric is referring to when he says we are actors playing the part of a magician, a person with supernatural powers.

Robert Houdin, one of the greatest artist the magic world has ever known, said that we are actors portraying someone who has these supernatural abilities. Erik Weisz, also known as Harry Houdini, got his stage name from Robert Houdin, which should tell you something of his influence.

And 'Not to fool them' is probably not the best way to put what you mean. I know you want to entertain and amaze them...but if you're not trying to get them to suspend their belief long enough to enjoy it, then you can't fool them. They know you're just a kid who happens to know secrets they don't.

art is in the eye of the beholder
Actually beauty is in the eye of the beholder, art is a little more subjective. Sadly it's gotten out of hand and 'modern' art has taken over. Not all modern art is bad...but I do know a woman who entered her 3 year olds finger painting (on nice canvas, of course) into a modern art contest. Her son won first prize under her name. When she thanked her son for, not only the inspiration, but for painting it as well...they stripped her of first place and probably felt really ridiculous.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Ill give it to you straight. Because art is not something so hard to define really.
Art in of itself isnt. Just Artist.
Heres the (world recognized) definition of magic.
---
Magic is a PERFORMING art that entertains an audience by creating illusions of seemingly impossible[1] or supernatural[2] feats, using purely natural means. These feats are called magic tricks, effects or illusions.
One who performs such illusions is called a magician or an illusionist. Some performers may also be referred to by names reflecting the type of magical effects they present, such as prestidigitators, conjurors, mentalists, escape artists, and ventriloquists.
It coincides with other performing arts like dance,music,opera,theatre and circus arts.

Genres in magic can consist of Drama,tragedy(yes,it can be done),comedy,tragicomedy,Romance(my favorite),satire,and epic.
But these days, new magicians dont perform in any of these genre art forms. They are not artist.
Thats why it isnt seen as art. Instead of making a Da Vinci they turn in a stick figure drawing.

And thats it.
If one wants to argue of a textbook example of magic as an art form then you might as well be arguing that E doesnt equal MC^2

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
B the W here are the types of styles of magic performances that you'd might be interested in talking about.Types of magic performance

STAGE ILLUSIONS- are performed for large audiences, typically within an auditorium. This type of magic is distinguished by large-scale props, the use of assistants and often, exotic animals such as elephants and tigers. Some famous stage illusionists, past and present, include Harry Blackstone, Sr., Howard Thurston, Chung Ling Soo, David Copperfield, Siegfried & Roy, and Harry Blackstone, Jr..

PLATFORM MAGIC- (also known as Cabaret magic or Stand-up magic) are terms used to describe magic performed for a medium to large audience. Night club magic and comedy club magic are also examples of this form. The use of illusionettes (small table top illusions) is common. The term Parlor magic is sometimes used but is considered by some to be pejorative. This genre includes the skilled manipulation of props such as billiard balls, card fans, doves, rabbits, silks, and rope. Examples of such magicians include Jeff McBride, Penn & Teller, David Abbott, Channing Pollock, Black Herman, and Fred Kaps.

MICROMAGIC (also known as Close-up magic or Table Magic) is performed with the audience close to the magician, sometimes even one-on-one. It usually makes use of everyday items as props, such as cards (see Card manipulation) and coins (see Coin magic) and seemingly 'impromptu' effects. This is also called "table magic" particularly when performed as dinner entertainment. Ricky Jay and Lee Asher, following in the traditions of Dai Vernon, Slydini, and Max Malini, are considered among the foremost practitioners of close-up magic.

ESCAPOLOGY- is the branch of magic that deals with escapes from confinment or restraints. Harry Houdini is a well-known example of an escape artist or escapologist.

MENTALISM- creates the impression in the minds of the audience that the performer possesses special powers to read thoughts, predict events, control other minds, and similar feats. It can be presented on a stage, in a cabaret setting, before small close-up groups, or even for one spectator.

SEANCE MAGIC- is that aspect of magic that simulates spiritualistic or mediumistic effects. This is meant purely as theatre and not meant to "conjure up spirits." This is an aspect of stage magic that is often misused by charlatans who pretend to actually be in contact with spirits.

CHILDRENS MAGIC- is performed for an audience primarily composed of children. It is typically performed at birthday parties, preschools, elementary schools, Sunday Schools or libraries. This type of magic is usually comedic in nature and involves audience interaction as well as volunteer assistants.

GOSPEL MAGIC- uses magic to catechize and evangelize. Gospel Magic was first used by St. Don Bosco to interest children in 19th century Turin, Italy to come back to school, accept assistance and to attend church.

STREET MAGIC- is a form of street performing or busking that employs a hybrid of stage magic, platform and close-up magic, usually performed 'in the round' or surrounded. Notable modern street magic performers include Jeff Sheridan and Gazzo. The term "street magic" has recently (since the first David Blaine TV special "Street Magic" aired in 1997) come to be used to describe a style of "guerilla" performance where magicians approach and perform for unsuspecting members of the public on the street. Unlike traditional street magic, this style is almost purely designed for TV and gains its impact from the wild reactions of the public. Magicians of this type include David Blaine and Cyril Takayama.

BIZARRE MAGIC- uses mystical, horror, fantasy and other similar themes in performance. Bizarre magic is typically performed in a close-up venue, although some performers have effectively presented it in a stage setting. Charles Cameron has generally been credited as the "godfather of bizarre magic." Others, such as Tony Andruzzi, contributed significantly to its development.

SHOCK MAGIC- is a genre of magic that shocks the audience, hence the name. Sometimes referred to as "geek magic," it takes its roots from circus sideshows, in which "freakish" performances were shown to audiences. Common shock magic or geek magic effects include eating razor blades, needle-through-arm, string through neck and pen-through-tongue.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
ok. So i have some people that say magic is an art and some that say that magic is an art when other people say it is.

Is there anyone that think that magic ISN'T an art???

ok. So i have some people that say magic is an art and some that say that magic is an art when other people say it is.

Is there anyone that think that magic ISN'T an art???
i don't...thats because it is and art...its part prestidigitation/part choreography/ part theatre/ part music/ part artistry/ i can go on and on...eventually you'll get to the base word of "art"...

you can't cut around it...so " the art of magic" is an artform...its says so in the phrase...the art of magic...if we just go and say "magic" thats not an art...its supernatural as in voodoo, wicca, etc....

but what you are trying to ask is "the art of magic" a art form???.....thats self explanitory right there my friend...i am really giving you the answer in the purest form....

thats just like asking is "does an actor act???" you asnwer the question by asking it....

the art of magic is an artform that includes so many faccets of other arts to enhance its demonstrations and attraction.....

there you have it....

no you don't, but the word "portray" means "act"..the word "act" is tightly used in "theatre", all of which to possess a certain skill no one has wether they look magical or not......when means nothing you do is real...its all sleight of hand....or gimmicks.... as skeptics would say...its all smoke and mirrors...while its not really that.... you do fool them when you do the unexplained or unexpeected....these things are really being overthought....

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results