How High

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
How high do you think it's possible to muscle pass? David Kong probably has the best muscle pass I've seen. Do you think it's possible with practice to get it as good as him? I'm definitely going to try, I have fallen in love with the move, and it's hard for me to put the coin down. One more thing, I've heard that a good muscle pass should make the coin fly straight , so the coin doesn't revolve around as it's in the air. I think that's bogus, but what do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Orb

Jul 19, 2009
Sweden
Another insane muscle-passer is Dan Watkins, you can watch him do it with a silver dollar at his homepage http://coinvanish.com/ (foundations section, assuming you know the basic coin sleights from bobo's).

I definitely think you can become as good at it, there's no reason whatsoever why you wouldn't, and from the sound of it, you seem so passionate I'd be surprised if you didn't.

As for how high it's humanly possible.. I remember Shoot Ogawa saying that in Japan when they train their muscle pass, they'd add weights to the coins and then eventually gain extreme heights. So if we bare that in mind, probably far higher than David Kong. But both Shoot and David seem to agree that a high muscle pass really isn't that important.

I also don't see why the coin would have to fly straight in the air, when you catch it you would still pinch it into the grip position, though I can understand if it would make things easier, but I really don't think it's vital.

Just keep practicing it and you'll get there mate.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
Another insane muscle-passer is Dan Watkins, you can watch him do it with a silver dollar at his homepage http://coinvanish.com/ (foundations section, assuming you know the basic coin sleights from bobo's).

I definitely think you can become as good at it, there's no reason whatsoever why you wouldn't, and from the sound of it, you seem so passionate I'd be surprised if you didn't.

As for how high it's humanly possible.. I remember Shoot Ogawa saying that in Japan when they train their muscle pass, they'd add weights to the coins and then eventually gain extreme heights. So if we bare that in mind, probably far higher than David Kong. But both Shoot and David seem to agree that a high muscle pass really isn't that important.

I also don't see why the coin would have to fly straight in the air, when you catch it you would still pinch it into the grip position, though I can understand if it would make things easier, but I really don't think it's vital.

Just keep practicing it and you'll get there mate.

Thanks man, I'm gonna make it work:) I've also heard about using weights, what do you think would be best for that? Gluing two coins together, or getting a heavier coin the same size I'm using (half dollar). Thanks again. (Yea, Dan has a great one)

Cheers

Orb

Jul 19, 2009
Sweden
When they did it in japan they would actually add weights to them, I think that's your best bet. Take some small piece(s) of some heavy metal (death or black metal works as well, sorry just had to do it) and attach it on the coin, by glue I would guess is the smartest. Then over time you can add more and more weights to it, and naturally when you do it with a regular half dollar later, it should fly much higher.

Whatever method you choose, at least try to make sure the coin is the same size and thickness as the half dollar (assuming the half dollar is your standard coin of use).

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
When they did it in japan they would actually add weights to them, I think that's your best bet. Take some small piece(s) of some heavy metal (death or black metal works as well, sorry just had to do it) and attach it on the coin, by glue I would guess is the smartest. Then over time you can add more and more weights to it, and naturally when you do it with a regular half dollar later, it should fly much higher.

Whatever method you choose, at least try to make sure the coin is the same size and thickness as the half dollar (assuming the half dollar is your standard coin of use).

Will do, thanks for the tips:) I think death metal won't work as well though:)

Cheers

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
I believe that Johnny Ace Palmer said that it's not about how high your muscle pass is, it's the memory that counts. And i find that this really works.

For example, I once was playing around with a coin and my friend told me to show him something. At that point, i didnt have a very great muscle pass, but i decided to show him anyways cuz hes my friend. I did a muscle pass about 5 inches high. He totally freaked out.

Afterward, he was talking to a group of people at lunch about it. He said "Dude, he made the coin jump like THIS HIGH!" and he held his hands like 8 feet apart. I was quite surprised he was able to remember a simple 5 inch high muscle pass to be 8 feet.

Another example would be when David Roth does his levitation. He would invite people one at a time during a party into a special room where he would levitate for them. Even though he only rose 2 or 3 inches off the ground, the spectators would later describe it by saying he was floating like 5 feet off the ground.

So my point it, you dont have to work so hard on getting your muscle pass higher. As you as you have a decent muscle pass, people will remember it to be much more impressive than it really was. Unless, of course, you just want get it really high so you can fill your pride or show off to other magicians.

Just my 2 cents.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
I believe that Johnny Ace Palmer said that it's not about how high your muscle pass is, it's the memory that counts. And i find that this really works.

For example, I once was playing around with a coin and my friend told me to show him something. At that point, i didnt have a very great muscle pass, but i decided to show him anyways cuz hes my friend. I did a muscle pass about 5 inches high. He totally freaked out.

Afterward, he was talking to a group of people at lunch about it. He said "Dude, he made the coin jump like THIS HIGH!" and he held his hands like 8 feet apart. I was quite surprised he was able to remember a simple 5 inch high muscle pass to be 8 feet.

Another example would be when David Roth does his levitation. He would invite people one at a time during a party into a special room where he would levitate for them. Even though he only rose 2 or 3 inches off the ground, the spectators would later describe it by saying he was floating like 5 feet off the ground.

So my point it, you dont have to work so hard on getting your muscle pass higher. As you as you have a decent muscle pass, people will remember it to be much more impressive than it really was. Unless, of course, you just want get it really high so you can fill your pride or show off to other magicians.

Just my 2 cents.
I see what you mean, and I've thought of this before, but I want to be sure the audience gets that experience. I don't want to have to rely on the spectators memory. I get your meaning though:)

Cheers

Orb

Jul 19, 2009
Sweden

Just my 2 cents.

You make a very good and strong point of how the magic actually happens in the spectators mind.
Also when your friend exaggerated the height to your friends, he was expressing himself how he felt emotionally, obviously you did a very good job. To him, that coin just flew really high up and it was crazy! Probably a point you might already know but that's vital to point out. This is also how David Roth worked to build his prestige. When all his friends heard him levitate so far up, and he then showed them one by one, those expectations in his their mind will then exaggerate what actually happens.

With that being said, I think that if you're going to make a coin fly up as a trick in itself, you better make it as good as possible, just like you'd want to make any of your routines as sharp as possible.

On another topic, It's very nice to see how you're making the coin magic forums active scarecrow! Keep that up!

Sep 15, 2007
Flat muscle Pass

I use a very old Morgan silver Dollar to do the muscle pass.
It is much more effective for both Laymen and magicians if you get it to go flat because it looks like it floats rather than spins when going from hand to hand.
I have been doing this slieght for over 20yrs.

I started with Half dollars and moved up to silver dollars after about a month.

Making it go flat is very difficult but is also a knack type of thing and is very hard to descibe how to do.
Most magicians think I am using a reel of some type when they see it...which is amusing to me.

I also tried using a special extra thick coin to add more to it but I abandoned that for more frequent practice. The weights seemed to mess with my muscle pass when I tried it and unbalenced was how the coin felt to me.

Good luck man ...work hard and it will get where where you want it to be.
Snorri
P.S. The main reason i wanted it to go flat in the begining was for the coin through glass effect. When the coin spins there is a greater number of incidents where you actually shatter the glass ....that does not happen when you use a flat muscle pass. The glass shattering really floors the spectators though it is hazardous in some cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 29, 2009
Just around
I use a very old Morgan silver Dollar to do the muscle pass.
It is much more effective for both Laymen and magicians if you get it to go flat because it looks like it floats rather than spins when going from hand to hand.
I have been doing this slieght for over 20yrs.

I started with Half dollars and moved up to silver dollars after about a month.

Making it go flat is very difficult but is also a knack type of thing and is very hard to descibe how to do.
Most magicians think I am using a reel of some type when they see it...which is amusing to me.

I also tried using a special extra thick coin to add more to it but I abandoned that for more frequent practice. The weights seemed to mess with my muscle pass when I tried it and unbalenced was how the coin felt to me.

Good luck man ...work hard and it will get where where you want it to be.
Snorri
P.S. The main reason i wanted it to go flat in the begining was for the coin through glass effect. When the coin spins there is a greater number of incidents where you actually shatter the glass ....that does not happen when you use a flat muscle pass. The glass shattering really floors the spectators though it is hazardous in some cases.

How do you make it go flat? Could you PM me about that? If it's hard to explain you don't have to.

Cheers

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results