Christian Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2008
First thing came to mind was this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpl3b-t37S4

look you don't want to be that guy, getting heckled and ignored (and no its not a magic video)

The video is proof that you should not go on the streets and perform anything dealing with any religon. Do it in the correct place, in your case church.

Nov 20, 2009
The christian point of view though is:

"There are people out there who are unsaved, and it's our DUTY to bring them to god."

So being heckled to them is just proof of how our society has strayed so far from the word.

There's this idea in NLP that people get caught up in belief cycles... if you view something as true, all you see are the things to support your view, and that makes the belief stronger.

However I'm starting to just reiterate the same thing, like Haunter said.

So this shall be my last word on the topic.

I do think it's great that we live in countries where we can at least have different viewpoints though.

Pensyko wonderful thread thanks so much for starting it! And thanks guys for keeping every thing civil. usally when thread like this get started every one starts fighting but you guy's have kept things level even when you disagreed. Were all friends and I thank you. I am a Christian and I Love using magic to share the gospel. I live for sharing the gospel and if I can use illusions to do that then great.

Let me clarify though I am not in to "gospel magic" I perfer to do a couple tricks to attract some attention and make people feel confortable then I share the gospel I don't like to do both together because usually you have to water down the message to fit a trick. I am not knocking those who do gospel magic it is just not for me.

Okay so what I do is I grab some tricks and hit the streets. I just walk up to somone and be like "Do you mind if I show you something?" Then I proced to show them some tricks after showing them some stuff I say "The hand is quicker then the eye. would you sell one of your eyes for a million dollars" usually they say no then I say "Compared to your soul your eye is worthless!" Then I ask them "Would you consider your self to be a good person"

They usually respons "oh yeah!" I ask,

Have you ever told a lie ,they say, "yes" I say then like me you would be liar.

Have you every stolen anything? they say, " yeah when I was a kid." I say then you , like the rest of us, would be theif.

I say havey you ever taken Gods name in vain. They say yes I say that called blaspheme and it is very serious.

I say "So by your own adimission you would be a lieing blaspheming theif. (I have not judged them they admitted this on their own.) so would you be innocent or guilty when you face God? Guilty so would you go to heaven or to hell? Hell. does that concern you? Yes! I then tell them that the only way to Heaven is beleif in Jesus Christ and by repenting of your sins. Jesus died on the cross to save you from your sins but you have to repent and trust in him as your Lord and Savior.

I know it sounds a little strong but I have to tell it like it is. I mean people are going to hell I can't stand aside and not at least warn them.

I am so glad you started this thread illusions are a amazing tool that we can use to further the gospel and Pensyko keep up the good work. If you have any questions I will be glad to try to help in what ever way I can. Your right the Bible says it is our job to preach the gospel at all costs. It is awesome you want to do this and I encourge you to go out hit the streets share the Gospel and you will change the world.

Thanks all,

Christian

You know the problem with Christianity? People turn into hypocrites, they leave out many many key important details in the bible. They say that we advcanced and things we have to leave out of the bible. The problem with it they nitpick the good things from the old and new testament and then say what's necessary and in the bible it says not to judge yet they write down that God Hate's Fags and all this nonsense.

Everybody knows I'm not the only one who thinks like this, because unlike the people who made up God I understand the world. I don't want to hear you talk about religion, if I wanted to know about God then I would look up his stuff. That's what I don't understand, if I was really curious about religion then I would do my own research and not get a random guy to have a awkward conversation about me being a thief, liar, and w/e else.

That was my rant about religion, so as you can tell I honestly don't want people in their entertainment to talk about it. Do other people want to hear about God and Allah, and Shiva and all those people. People are nice to you and may thank you but they don't care about your talks, unless they are religious also.

If anybody wants to have an intelligent conversation about religion my msn is coasttocoast33@yahoo.com.

Nov 11, 2009
First thing came to mind was this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpl3b-t37S4

look you don't want to be that guy, getting heckled and ignored (and no its not a magic video)

The video is proof that you should not go on the streets and perform anything dealing with any religon. Do it in the correct place, in your case church.

Okay this is the kind of person that gives Christianity a bad name
people see one "Christian" who acts like this and think that they all do
I completley disagree with this guys approach
like I said before, telling people about Jesus needs to be private, casual, informative, and nonjudgemental. Thanx for sharing this video :)

Apr 1, 2009
California
Faith is a beautiful thing. A personal thing. I feel it shouldn't be stuck on a pedestal. Of course I feel one should be a living "ministry". But like Derren Brown said, "People are often terrible promoters for their own beliefs." You can show that you're a spiritual person and exemplify that through your magic without breaking out scripture. As much as I love scripture. But being an emotional, personal thing as faith is, it shouldn't be taken so lightly as to go turning it into a trick. I think this works better for Ministers doing magic, rather than a magician doing ministry. Two different paths must be taken.

Nov 20, 2009
Faith is a beautiful thing. A personal thing. I feel it shouldn't be stuck on a pedestal. Of course I feel one should be a living "ministry". But like Derren Brown said, "People are often terrible promoters for their own beliefs." You can show that you're a spiritual person and exemplify that through your magic without breaking out scripture. As much as I love scripture. But being an emotional, personal thing as faith is, it shouldn't be taken so lightly as to go turning it into a trick. I think this works better for Ministers doing magic, rather than a magician doing ministry. Two different paths must be taken.

We hold vastly different personal views, but you speak the truth brother *tips hat*.

Apr 1, 2009
California
I want to point out something that my message seemed to contradict when looking over my post. I don't entirely mean "personal" as in "keep to self". I strongly believe we should share and spread our faith, but we most know how to do so.

Orb

Jul 19, 2009
Sweden
You know the problem with Christianity? People turn into hypocrites, they leave out many many key important details in the bible. They say that we advcanced and things we have to leave out of the bible. The problem with it they nitpick the good things from the old and new testament and then say what's necessary and in the bible it says not to judge yet they write down that God Hate's Fags and all this nonsense.

Everybody knows I'm not the only one who thinks like this, because unlike the people who made up God I understand the world. I don't want to hear you talk about religion, if I wanted to know about God then I would look up his stuff. That's what I don't understand, if I was really curious about religion then I would do my own research and not get a random guy to have a awkward conversation about me being a thief, liar, and w/e else.

That was my rant about religion, so as you can tell I honestly don't want people in their entertainment to talk about it. Do other people want to hear about God and Allah, and Shiva and all those people. People are nice to you and may thank you but they don't care about your talks, unless they are religious also.

If anybody wants to have an intelligent conversation about religion my msn is coasttocoast33@yahoo.com.
As much as I can cope with your atheistic beliefs, I would also like to give a reminder. You say that if people wanted to hear about religion, they'd go to church. But does that also mean that you can't include pseudo science in your performances, since if people wanted to hear about science they'd go to NASA?
I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm simply reminding you of other alike situations.

Also you say that you understand the world, do remember that not even the scientists do. Science simply accepts the most likely theories, such as the education of anatomy, for how many years didn't we use the elemental teachings? Quantum physics are still based on probability, though I do believe that we will be able to set up rules for it in the future.

Science does not say that religion doesn't exist, since it cannot be proven right, but it also cannot be proven wrong. But it's very unlikely since in Intelligent Design as an example, they filled the obscure holes in the evolution system up with "God" did it, and since we can't really check up on that it's neither true or false, it remains a theory, yet unlikely. Which is why we use Darwins Evolution Theory since we can argue for it's reasons, and prove it.

Now the reason I can speak for both sides, yet being a strong atheist, is because I'm also a huge philosophy fan. I've spent hours and hours debating with Christians and orthodox Christians about everything from the beliefs of Free Will to Evolution Theories. If anyone would like some debating from my side also, I'd love to be on it.

Now for a more on topic reminder, I won't really tell you what to do anymore. I think you've seen enough posts to make your own conclusions whether it'd be appropriate or not. Just remember that magic is an art, and art is a way of expressing yourself.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX

Everybody knows I'm not the only one who thinks like this,I don't want to hear you talk about religion, if I wanted to know about God then I would look up his stuff. That's what I don't understand, if I was really curious about religion then I would do my own research and not get a random guy to have a awkward conversation about me being a thief, liar, and w/e else.

All those Gods are the same gods. Allah means god translated. What he looks like and gods name is irrelevant. But people put way too much importance on that for some reason the atheist with the weak "religion is bad because.." argument. Coming in with scientific pretension, atheist mockery and cocksure science. A science that has become a religion itself.And it is a religion with a very jealous God, who can have no other Gods before Him.(sound familiar?) Like other religions, of course, this one(science) has much to offer its followers, both in material benefits and spiritual solace. I ask you people not to turn this into a religious debate. Though the topic itself is boderline reaching to one just by being posted. Do not insult each other and do not deviate from what is intended. For the love of God.

because unlike the people who made up God I understand the world.
well that isnt totally pretentious and more than likely untrue. am 18 year old who understands the world? LOL ,LMAO oh and my favorite.ROFL-copter

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really feel like getting into the argument, but I just wanted to clear something up. "The Bible says not to judge." Actually, it says, "Judge not, lest ye be judged." In other words don't be telling someone not to *[cuss], while you are [cussing] yourself; don't be a hypocrite.

*[insert sin]

Nov 11, 2009
Okay guys I am glad to talk to anyone about religion as long as they remain civil, but the purpose of this thread was not to start a debate it was simply to get the input of other people on how to incorperate the word of God into a routine, so please try and keep this thread friendly

Thanks,
Josh

ha yea. thoes street preachers are very brave and the good ones are great to listen too. its a performance very much. they practice their stuff then go out.
pensyko3, its all up to you. you can set up a chair and table and have it say so and so, christian magician entertainer or w/e and im sure if your stuff si good, people will stop no matter if you are a christian. but if you also can be a nice kind person, they will ask . because why is there a christian magician? hes not bugging me with jesus, what is his deal?
mystery is what people love. and they will ask you all about it

Sep 6, 2009
Cincinnati
Oh no, I much prefer Athiest magic. It gets better reatcions :D

If you want, get Paul Harris' "Little Man". You could form some crazy religion patter about it.

Or, you could vanish a pocket bible using a topit.

Read the Bible to them, it's all a great illusion.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
"Faith: Making a virtue out of not thinking. Its nothing to brag about. And those who preach faith and enable and elevate it are our intellictual slave holders, keeping mankind in a bondage of fantasy and nonsense, that has spawned and justified so much lunacy and destruction." Bill Maher

"science without religion is lame,religion without science is blind"
-albert einstein

See what he did there without resulting in childish insults to one sect or another?

But I disgress.If your not going to talk about the subject at hand or have something offensive to say then dont come into the thread at all.Same goes to me.
And dont get into a debate with me on science VS. religion here.
You will lose.

Jul 13, 2009
Just my silver coin, hopefuly it will get everyone who is fishing for wisdom, wisdom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M08Ghj4Ejck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3nqeW5yrew

Besides all the religious banter going on, combining magic and religion is a wonderful idea; if not an old one. I once wanted to be a gospel magician, what I have seen so far is people making the mistake that gospel magic is magic combined with religious versus. That isn’t true, a good gospel magician is able to combine the teachings of the bible into a presentational story that goes with a magical effect. IE an effect that teaches the morals of the bible; you don’t necessarily have to say God, or savior. Integrate words like Shepard, father, tour guide, religious symbols, doves, maybe even some of your own interpretations of bible versus. Just sit down, think about the message you want to send to the viewer and subtly disguise it so its not so harsh and offensive to others.

Also for those who are saying that going out and spreading the word to those who are willing to listen is rude, need to stop. Its just opinion, and its basically the same thing going on in this thread except its face to face. People trying to out wit each other to prove that their belief is the superior one.

Silver

PS

Atheists unite.

PSS

If you really want advice from people who actually perform gospel magic go here,

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?forum=198&1789

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?forum=16&13690

This should give you some more resources to get you where you want to go, its to Hellish if you would in this thread to really milk any good information that you want in here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results