Saturday Night Contest - Roundtable with Michael Hankins

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
To coincide with the release of our latest 1-on-1 training video from Michael Hankins - The Harbor Change - we thought it appropriate tonight to host a roundtable discussion with the man himself to get to know him, his experience, and his work. Each time we do this, we involve a different artist, and we answer questions directly from you.

Questions can be about his history, his performance experience, his creative process, or anything else you'd like to ask to get to know him a little better.

I encourage all of you to make the most of this opportunity to ask a fresh and talented creator in magic anything you wish. Limit of three questions per member - choose them wisely and make 'em count. One winner whose question is asked during the interview will receive the 18 minute Harbor Change training video on the house.

Questions must be submitted on or before 10:30pm EST and will be answered in a podcast that will be posted on or before midnight EST. Looking forward to a great, constructive discussion this evening.

UPDATE :: Podcast has been posted! Listen to it now here.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
what have been some of your major influences in magic? people, idea's concepts etc.

How did you hook up with T11?

You are stranded at a Magic gig for an adult audience of seated table with only one magical prop and a deck of cards, what is that prop?

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
1) How do YOU pronounce JB's last name?

2) What is one piece of advice that will improve any intermediate magicians performance?

3) Whats a way that you first dealt with anxiety when performing early on?

Jan 19, 2009
1. This harbor change is for the beginners or for the pros?
2. What is your last memory about street magic?
3. How often do you go to perform magic in the street, so non-profit performances?

Jul 8, 2008
NOTE: I would appreciate it if you could read my entire post. I think it could give a little insight and really back up my question well. If not, it's cool.

Hey Hankerz. I am a magic enthusiast mostly specializing in coins, but very often I find myself playing with some cards and I get an idea for a color change. Long story short, I usually end up finding it in one of my many books. So my question(s) for tonight are, how do you go about creating magic with outside inspirations such as reading books, watching movies or other performers etc. while still keeping it fresh.

And also, how did you approach practicing this color change? Do you ever use this as a conversational piece or a full routine? A color change, to me, is more of a basic concept. Among the various scientific concepts at our disposal and some of the few we encounter on a daily basis, the color change is something we see fairly often, and science is where most of our magic comes from, IMHO. But with all of those other concepts we use, such as spliting or vanishing/appearing different objects, a color change is such a minor detail and it often ends up being left alone and not much of a performance piece unless you incorporate it into something else you currently perform.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
1.How did you get involved with Theory 11? How would you recommend other magicians to start out in the market?

2. A lot of magicians say you need to have tried a creation for many years before putting it out on the market, yet you only created the Harbour Change for 1 year. What do you say to that?

3. If you could meet anyone regardless of time, money, language, or any other limits, who would it be and why?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
What inspires you to keep doing what you're doing?

Who are your role model(s) in magic you look up to?

What is your performing style and what do you believe is the most important aspect when performing for spectators?

Jun 1, 2009
What event made you want go "Gosh, I want to do THAT for a living!"?

When you first learned magic, what the first effect you performed (for real people) and how did that impact your pursuing of magic?

What was/is your favorite resource when looking for ideas for effects?

To J.B. what if we already have the harbor change video? will it be any 1-on-1 then?

Jul 7, 2008
What influence you to start magic ?

What makes you difference from other magician ?

What is your all time favourite routine ?

Jul 12, 2008
pennsylvania
1.) what color change influenced you to create the harbor change?

2.) who are the people in your life that keep you going to do what you do?

3.) do you perform any card flourishing?

Mar 7, 2009
Huntington, WV
1. If you had to do any other job besides magic, what would it be and why?

2. What is it that you like better about T11 compared to other magic dealers?

3. If you could meet any magician that has past, who would it be and why?

1. We see your first 1-on-1 is with cards. Is there any other types of magic that you also do?

2. I'm drinking mineral water that has "trickled through the mountains for centuries." Tell my why then, that it expires next year.

3. Will we see more of you in the future, any projects on the horizon?

All the best,
-Chase

May 18, 2008
Hello!

1) How long have you been in magic?
2) In that time, how has your magic changed since you started?
3) How do you feel about all the magic being released on the market today so quickly?

Looking forward to an informative discussion tonight!

Apr 9, 2008
Malaysia
Hi , Michael Hankins

1) How do you created Harbor Change , In what situation make you come up with this visual move?

2) For you opinion , a lot of colour change in this magic world , why I need to choose Harbor Change in my performance? What is the advance of Harbor Change compare with other colour change?

3) I havent buy Harbor Change , but from the preview , I feel it is angle sensitive , is it suitable for all enviroment or need choose the timing?

Thanks for you answer. I really like this colour change , just need to comfirm it is really useful sleight. Love You.

Nov 13, 2009
How did you come about the name of Harbor change?

What kind of magic do you perform stage/street/closeup?

What advice would you give to somone who is trying to start doing magic professionally?

Thanks Michael,

Christian

P.s Can you impersonate Andy Griffith?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results