MAGIC-CON 2010 : Definitive Recommended Reading List

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Close-Up: The Real Secrets of Magic by David Stone Perfect for the close-up performer of any kind.

The list looks great Jon!

And great additions too, definitely one of the best comprehensive lists I've seen.

Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
nothing on memorized/stacked decks?

Mnemonica - Juan Tamariz

^^

Actually, it's in the complimentary reading section.

Also, I'm going to throw in my vote for Transformations: creating magic out of tricks by Lawrence Hass.
EDIT: I don't know if I just missed it, but The Art of Magic by T. Nelson Downs should definitely be on there.

Last edited by a moderator:
MAGIC CON 2010 Definitive Recommended Reading List

seems reasonable to me, our store draft in dallas is 16, so an extra 4 for an older set sounds about right.

but you might have a more casual crowd thats not into drafting at your con?

JasonEngland

theory11 artist / card mechanic
Nov 7, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I'd add The Discoverie of Witchcraft by Reginald Scot as an essential read too. It is after all considered to be the first text published on conjuring.

Nowhere close to the first published text on conjuring. Scot is notable for being the earliest detailed describer of sleight of hand with playing cards, and for being in English. However, much earlier sources pertaining to both card sleights and various other forms of conjuring in other languages are known.

Bill Kalush wrote an entire paper titled, Sleight of Hand With Playing Cards Prior To Scot's Discoverie. A copy of this paper can be found in Puzzler's Tribute: A Feast for the Mind by David Wolfe, Tom Rodgers, and Authur Clarke. The book is a collection of papers that were written for the Gathering for Gardner conventions in Atlanta. I recommend it.

Jason England

Last edited by a moderator:
Nowhere close to the first published text on conjuring. Scot is notable for being the earliest detailed describer of sleight of hand with playing cards, and for being in English. However, much earlier sources pertaining to both card sleights and various other forms of conjuring in other languages are known.

Bill Kalush wrote an entire paper titled, Sleight of Hand With Playing Cards Prior To Scot's Discoverie. A copy of this paper can be found in Puzzler's Tribute: A Feast for the Mind by David Wolfe, Tom Rodgers, and Authur Clarke. The book is a collection of papers that were written for the Gathering for Gardner conventions in Atlanta. I recommend it.

Jason England

Wouldnt you also recommend R.K.'s "Cardmagic?" It has a modern take on descoverie. Plus, i think the book is a fantastic, but difficult, read.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results