Looking for visual, impromptu, card tricks. (Suggestions)

Feb 5, 2008
Hey guys.

I'm looking for some visual, impromptu card tricks that can be done seated or standing. I don't mind if it requires a lot of "work" during the trick or bold moves (within reason).

I ask because I'm trying to expand my repetoire and have more tricks under my belt for on-the-spot showcasing.

But rather than monopolize the discussion, lets turn this into a "suggest-your-favorite-impromptu-trick" thread. lol

Jun 1, 2009
The Avenue by Dorian Rhodell from Dan and Dave is an awesome DVD with good visual, impromptu magic. Three effects require a bit "extra" but its easy to carry and you most likely already have one so it can still be considered impromptu. Finders Keepers has a slight set up but it KILLS so you should still use it. I use stuff off this DVD pretty much everytime I perform, wheather I'm doing the exact effect or applying a sleight into a diffrerent one, it has very vauable material on there. Highly reccomend this.

Your boy,
Fez

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Visual AND impromptu?!
Your gonna have a tough time there. Theres always at least a set-up for visual card magic.
I normally dont dabble in impromptu card magic but id say Dan and Dave shizz could help.
Also look in their book section for details if maybe there is one text with what you are looking for.

Mar 2, 2008
Like said above, most visual ones have a set up. I just want to know, why must it be impromtu? If you are going have paying gigs you don't need impromtu, it limits from some great tricks.

Feb 5, 2008
Thanks, Fezzik. I checked out that dvd and it's got some pretty good stuff. Right up my alley too. Thanks for the heads up. I'm already working on side-tracked as we speak. :)

@ Ajp: Why impromptu you ask? Because I don't like setting up the cards infront of people. If it's a simple cull the 4 aces to the top or anything else that's short, I don't mind as much, but it is my opinion, or rather my style, that tricks that require a setup are either best left for an opener or in a stage setting. And lately I've been getting caught off-guard by people asking me to put on a show for them on the spot and I run out of effects because I don't know enough impromptu stuff.

Just because an effect is impromptu doesn't mean it'll be less impressive than a trick that requires an entire deck setup. It just means it'll require more "work", and I love "doing work". I've actually taken effects that require complicated setups and simplified them so they'll give me the same (or better) result, but are completely impromptu in exchange for more work. And yes, this does limit the angles or size of a crowd I can perform for, but thats what I have the setup versions for. :)

Jan 15, 2008
Visual AND impromptu?!
Your gonna have a tough time there. Theres always at least a set-up for visual card magic.
I normally dont dabble in impromptu card magic but id say Dan and Dave shizz could help.
Also look in their book section for details if maybe there is one text with what you are looking for.

Ha, are you kidding me? there are TONS upon TONS of very visual tricks that require no set up at ALL. That was a very surprising statement to me. But there are lots of great ones with gimmicks or setups, but there are definitely plenty of visual and impromtu tricks out there for the picking :)

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Ha, are you kidding me? there are TONS upon TONS of very visual tricks that require no set up at ALL. That was a very surprising statement to me. But there are lots of great ones with gimmicks or setups, but there are definitely plenty of visual and impromtu tricks out there for the picking :)

Then maybe you shouldve listed some as examples. If not to prove me wrong then for the OP.Hm?

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Depends on your definition of visual.

The Buck's style is startling visual with lots of instant colour changes.

If we look at something like even the classic triumph effect that is in my opinion more visual even though the spectator never really sees what you are doing. (I know that Kostya has a actual triumph routine.) They have to believe that you really shuffled the cards face up into face down, there are a lot of displays (Daryl's comes to mind) that cement this idea. When the deck is corrected that is an amazingly visual moment, because in the spectators mind the deck should not look like that.

Some routines that I consider to be visual and impromptu;

Oil and Water
Out of this World
Inversion plot
Cards Across
Open Travelers

Way too many more.

Dec 4, 2009
It honestly depends on your style and character.

There are too many good impromtu and visual card tricks out there.. Narrow down your choices.

What would you like to perform?

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Dan and Dave
Gregory Wilson
Joshua Jay
Chris Mayhew
A lot of T&R routines

Actually, there are a considerable number that come to mind, visualartist. Those are just to name a few.

true,I agree on those.
but its also like dicer said. It depends on ones own idea of "visual".
Dan and dave are pure visual eye candy for me. Cards switching in front of my eyes,and a 3 of spades splitting into a 2 of clubs and an ace. Thats visual for me.
Seemingly physical changes to the cards. That for me is visual card magic. And TnR of course.

Mar 26, 2009
Arizona
a couple of books that i have that have added a lot of impromtu stuff to my arsenal are dear mr fantasy and larry jennings' stuff ('67 and classic magic). The triumph routine from jennings went straight to my arsenal and he has other great impromtu stuff. Check out the triumph routine here

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
Might I also add.

The Roadrunner cull by Kostya Kimlat.

Having a fast and effective way to set up/ stack the deck in front of your spectators without them realizing is a very very strong tool to have. Not to mention some mindblowing effects e.g. Culligula

Sep 1, 2007
Invisible Rising Card in AoA is a cool impromptu invisible deck routine. I also liked "Hey There Babycakes" also from AoA which reminds me of an "Anniversary-like" card effect where two signature merge into one card, except its impromptu and very entertaining with Paul Harris' presentation.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results