New Release | Drop by Chris Lafferty

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
Just found out that TheMentalPlayground has released a new product-Drop by Chris Lafferty has been released.

This is something I can see myself performing, especially into my ACR, but as BRodgers stated, it already looks stunning on its own.

This is probably one of Chris' effect that I've been anticipated to see and now it's out there.

What are your thoughts about it?

Also, I'm just about to pick this up, so expect a review soon.

http://www.thementalplayground.com/drop.html

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I had a look at the trailer... Not convinced, tbh. I have a few problems with it from the video.

1) The very first move looks terrible! It's often said that a spectator knowing a move has taken place is just as bad as a spectator seeing exactly how it's done. Well, I watched the video, and the very first move looks almost like a pretty bad pass in my humble opinion. Not to say that the move is a pass (I don't know what the move is), but the very fact that something has very obviously happened (fairly obvious shaking of the hands that mildly resembles a bad performance of the classic pass) already ruins the sleight for me. I don't know whether it's because of a poor performance, or poor sleight construction, but either way, it's enough to make me pass (no pun intended) on this.

I just watched the second time the move is performed, and it looks even worse than the first! I'm sorry to be so harshly critical, I really feel bad, but I just can't help but think this doesn't look particularly good at all, compared to what's out there! I know Chris frequents these forums on occasion, and if you happen to read this Chris, I sincerely apologise for being so critical, and I want to make it clear that I have the utmost respect for you... I just really dislike the look of it! :S

The deck is not coalesced or even, it's smeared like a bad Ego Change, and the fact that a move has taken place is all too obvious and not at all magical. Compare to Shigeo Futagawa's Elevator Move, which does the exact same thing but reversed, and it's clear the latter is far superior - very little motion, and what little motion is completely justified, no visible hand motion, no deck movement, etc.

Aaand on subsequent demonstrations of the sleight, I will admit they look a lot better than the first two... But still a fair amount of regripping and waving and handling the deck! (Again, compare to Shigeo Futagawa's move, or Chris Kenner's Shifty)

The final drop, I will admit, does look very nice, though. However the process leading up to it just doesn't cut it for me.

2) As for the card dropping through the deck... Well, I'm sure someone could come up with a presentational angle for why the card is going down this time... But I still have to ask, why? It feels like a premise created for magicians by a magician for the sake of it. Maybe this is just me, but I don't really see the difference it would make to an ACR routine, and, technically speaking, there are much better endings.

3) As hinted above, I don't feel it adds anything to what's already out there. It's a turn off the rising card idea, but a card going to the bottom is not an original idea by any means. As a sleight, I feel it has flaws (either the construction of the sleight is flawed, or the performance was, and either way, it's an equally bad flaw), as stated above. And it's a reverse of SF and CK's moves... Both of which look better.

Again, I'm sorry to come off so negative, but I just really don't like the look of this. Move monkeys who want to know every single version and variation of elevator moves might be interested, otherwise, I'd give this a miss.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I have to agree with prae...

it really looks chessy...because its doesn´t look good, and the angle where is perfomed...well if that is the actual angle where you should perform this...most of the time when I perform ACR I´m surrounded so I´t wont work for me.

and the final drop, doesn´t look convicing, it looks like the obvious.

also I don´t like the guy who is teaching, doen´t have any energy...it looks so boring and forced, but that´s just me

Feb 15, 2008
Wow... this looks cruddy... spend your money on some cards and be happy, I can't see how this trick would help your ambitious card routine.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to watch the demo.

From an effectual standpoint, this was devised for personal use at first, as my ACR finale. I wanted to do a very visual phase for the finale, but found the methods on the market or in print didn't suit my style; I happened over the drop technique whilst working on this.

While I absolutely agree that this is not for everyone (I mean, I can't imagine this is going to be the next Braue pop up or anything), I must say, that this is not only fooling (To both the lay and magician), it is a very visual solution to the 'How do I soup my ACR up a bit?' problem, and looks delicious when performed well.

If anybody would like to know the intricacies of my updated personal handling, shoot me an email/PM with your questions and I'll do my best to clear everything up for you.

Peace!

CL

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to watch the demo.

From an effectual standpoint, this was devised for personal use at first, as my ACR finale. I wanted to do a very visual phase for the finale, but found the methods on the market or in print didn't suit my style; I happened over the drop technique whilst working on this.

While I absolutely agree that this is not for everyone (I mean, I can't imagine this is going to be the next Braue pop up or anything), I must say, that this is not only fooling (To both the lay and magician), it is a very visual solution to the 'How do I soup my ACR up a bit?' problem, and looks delicious when performed well.

If anybody would like to know the intricacies of my updated personal handling, shoot me an email/PM with your questions and I'll do my best to clear everything up for you.

Peace!

CL

Oh!!! so you are Chris Lafferty...I knew I heard that name before...

I agree that this effect is not for everyone..It certainly is not for me, because I already have a CTW of my own to end my ACR...maybe you perform it better than the demo...the guy in the video just doesn´t do it smoothly as I suppose you do it since you are the creator

btw...why weren´t you the one teaching the trick?

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Yep, thats what my mother named me :)

I perform DROP as if it were real magic. Why would we use cards if we were real magicians? I don't know, but it's established, so it's cool. I do it slowly, as if the card is melting through the deck. A handling tip; When performing, do the last part of the main move slooooowwly, and bring the top of the deck into view, it doesn't need to be hidden.
To address the fact that the cards are not flush after the incremental 'drops', that is actually a fine point that I definitely WANTED to include- It strengthens the effect, as it shows how low the card is sinking each time.

Luis, I wasn't teaching the effect for the simple reason that I thought Brian could do a better job of it.

CL

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
Have watched the download this morning and have been playing around with 'Drop' all day. I must say I am really enjoying the effect, and on a different note, this effect looks a lot better and visual when done in the real world, as opposed to viewing it on the demo.

Review will be up soon!

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
I've worked with CL for many years now on a variety of projects and whatnot and having seen DROP performed by Chris, it does look incredibly clean.

Of course, everyone performs effects differently and Brian's handling I'm sure works for him, When you do get the download and learn the technique, I'm sure you'll come up with your own refinements and pacing to make this look like REAL magic.

When I used to perform an ACR (I don't do those kinds of routines anymore really) I used to use DROP to close, it's a beautiful thing when the card just falls into their waiting hands, I like to gently blow on the cards just before the final drop so that they feel the air on their hands, it wakens the nerves in their palms and if the card drops a second after you'll get a phenomenal reaction!!

DC

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
See, my problem is this. I'm sure that, with work, it could look cleaner than it does on the demo. But the fact is, that is doesn't look clean on the demo. So what's left is an idea. That's what you're essentially paying for. But if you have an idea, why not do it right, if it's actually good? It's this type of thing that makes a lot of people skeptical about new products, and rightly so. Not correcting it is just poor form.

As far as Brian's handling goes, it's hardly his handling, it's just poorly performed, and quite frankly, it doesn't work.

If it's left up to the purchaser to create real magic, well then the implication is that it's not that good in the first place, and needs development anyway. Now, don't get me wrong, I believe strongly in things like the magician making an effect his own. But the base should be there, and here, it isn't.

Whatever happened to when magicians worked on their material for years so such flaws didn't exist to begin with, and "from x's working repertoire" actually meant something?

Bleh, I'm not going to post anything else in this thread methinks. I'm motivated only by a deep personal dislike to post - but I'm afraid I'm coming off terribly negative, so I'll stop there, I think the point's been made.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Hi all,

After my comments in this thread, I was contacted by Brian himself in regards to some of my criticisms. Mr. Rodgers was kind enough to send me a copy of the video free of charge, a generous offer for which I am grateful, to have a look at myself. I in turn replied that I would be happy to post again in this thread regarding my opinions after watching it. Well, I've just managed to do so. There is good news and bad news.

Firstly, let me make that I stand by my original opinions based on what I saw from the preview video.

Secondly, let me just add that the first three minutes is basically the same speech repeated three times. Very annoying.

Good news first: It CAN be performed more deceptively and better than it is performed in the preview video. The potential is there to make it a move without the flaws I mentioned. The cards do not have to finish spread if performed properly. Furthermore, the sleight can be performed without looking like a rather obvious pass, it just wasn't in the preview video. The problem was never that it was too fast, simply that it wasn't done well. The newest video that has been posted highlights this fact. Although I think the sleight was not quite mastered, it did not have the obvious and significant flaws of the first one. (NB: The tilting of the deck in the second vid is what I'm thinking of here)

Also, the sleight is relatively easy to learn (though does evidently need practice to minimise unnecessary movement).

Though I don't really want this to be a review per se, it should be added here that the teaching and video quality itself is nothing short of what you'd expect. Clear teaching. Good video quality.

Watching the video also revealed some negative points, however. The two big ones are:

Firstly, neither of the preview videos show you the other move that's used. In fact, Mr. Rodgers teaches a different move for the final part. It's not shown because it's not particularly conducive to the sleight (which does require misdirection) and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, none at all. I don't have a problem with not showing that move in the video, and it's fair enough (although I do think it should be noted).

My problem is that I just don't think it's a very good move (you will recall that whilst I have heavily criticised the move shown, I do believe it has potential, and that the problem was not with the sleight, but with the performance). A top change requires misdirection but is a smooth, graceful, elegant sleight. This sleight is not - this is evidenced by the fact that Mr. Rodgers never actually performs this sleight in real time on the video, except to teach it (in slow motion). This raises some obvious questions... Which brings me to my second thing...

It just isn't as good as what's already out there, in my opinion. The concept is not really new (card travelling to the bottom rather than the top in an ACR). I'm not sure if a multi-phase travel to the bottom (as in a reverse Shifty) is original or not, but I don't really think it matters. Actually, I don't really think it matters to a spectator whether or not the card travels bottom up or top to bottom. Which means that I feel the sleight is basically inferior to the other versions out there, which I have referenced in previous posts. Certainly, the move mentioned above doesn't compare to its counterparts.

In summary of my opinions:

1. It was not the sleight, the sleight is fine, it was just the performance which wasn't amazing. Though, this should never have been released without it being rectified.
2. The sleight itself has the potential to be performed well, and is relatively easy.
3. One sleight isn't shown in the preview, but I don't feel it is particularly good. It is also never performed in real time.
4. Drop in my opinion does not add anything or improve on the material that is already out there. You'd be better off tracking similar material already released.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 23, 2007
maybe this should be the next Saturday Night Contest focus, the winner will be the one who perfoms Drop the best.;P

agree with prae on this one, on all the points he made in this thread, the demo should have been rectified and made flawless before being posted as a demo, and by doing so prob attracting more potential magicians to actually be interested in the product. For example take WTFnolimits demo videos, like SMILE, and CELLBLOCK, simple, with sleights involved, but their demo are done with the effect being shown flawlessly, and thus getting good reviews.

am going to get the DROP download right now, and if i nvr read this particular thread, i prob wouldnt have even thought about it, if i only based my opinion on the demo video

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results