Reducing Noise of Bottom Deal

Nov 29, 2008
Anyone know any techniques for this? Or has it been written anywhere? I'm definitely looking to improve that part of my deal because I think the other elements are decent. But I have done a Lorayne's Poker Deal as an effect, and everyone was baffled by how the aces were in my hand except this one guy, who said, "You didnt notice? It made a special sound whenever he dealt his card"

Sep 3, 2008
ny
Don't worry about having no noise, that is a bad thing. You want your regular deal and your bottom deal to sound the same, thats the only reason that guy caught you.

Nov 3, 2009
well according to OP the bottom deal made a noise. im not sure how the deal works but id say slow down and very very carefully examine when the sound is made and then you'll figure out how to minimize it, or even better, make it sound like a top deal.

Nov 29, 2008
The problem is that I know why the sound is created, but if you take away that element of the deal, it isn't as deceptive visually.

Jun 5, 2009
Seattle, WA
I'm not sure which technique you are working from, but there is only so much that you can do. If you want to reduce the noise, you need the loosening action as described by Erdnase. Not necessarily his grip, but the loosening action kills almost all of the noise for me. This introduces the knuckle-flash however, so it isn't as pretty visually. If your pulling strike-type bottoms, you can do it quicker and without the flash, but I've always had way too much drag due to the angle of the emerging card relative to the deck (meaning: it's scraping against the deck the whole way out and making all sorts of noise).

I am no expert, and I am sure that it is possible to reduce the negatives of both of these approaches, but I see it as a balancing act. I try to get the best of both worlds. Get enough loosening to reduce the noise and keep as much as a strike action to it as possible to avoid the flash. If you have to pick between the two - however, you should pick the noise as the one to eliminate. I believe that it was Aaron Fisher who said that a pass is like a child: it's better to be seen than to be heard. Slightly different context here, but same point. You can compensate for the flash by watching the angles. If you have a decent rhythm, most laymen won't even notice a flash or recognize what it is if they do see it (no one watches GPS for fun) Anyone can recognize the noise and realize that it only pops up when dealing to yourself or one other person. It's like ringing a bell. So I'd lean toward a quieter deal rather than a more invisible one.

One thing that worked for me for a while (after Erdnase and Strike-Bottom dealing as basically described by Jason England here) was the bottom deal discussed by Vernon in his inner card trilogy. I believe it is in More Inner Secrets, but I could be mistaken. It works from a straddle grip and I thought that it allowed for a good balance. I've changed it up a bit, but the angle and pull on the bottom card are pretty much the same and, thus, pretty damn quiet when I get in swing.

Nov 29, 2008
alright thanks man I will definitely check that out. I have been strike dealing from a modified erdnase because my hands are large and the push out was somewhat awkward. I'll look into some other bottom deals, I know there is one with very little push out and Steve Draun's deal that is half push out half strike.

Jun 5, 2009
Seattle, WA
I feel you. I've got bear paws myself. If you struggle with the erdnase loosening even just as practice, it will get better eventually. It becomes a much softer touch after awhile. I've found that drawing the card back toward your wrist before sailing helps with noise, but it looks akward if you aren't sailing - so that's sort of situational. Do focus on eliminating sound over flash. It will be much more deceptive to laymen.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results