To Identify Level

Nov 10, 2009
How can we tell if a guy's beginner or intermediate Card magician?

What are some requirements needed to be qualified as an intermediate Card magician?

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
How can we tell if a guy's beginner or intermediate Card magician?

What are some requirements needed to be qualified as an intermediate Card magician?

Beginner obviously means your technical skills are still in early development. Still learning erdnase and royal road.
Once they move pass that,I consider them intermediate

Nov 12, 2008
Me personally, I wouldn't be too worried about that... unless you perform for magicians no one cares about your skill level, all the audience cares about is if you can perform for them.

Once you start thinking about beginner, intermediate and advanced you start forming a hierarchy which is not helpful. Everyone is different, just do your magic and entertain the world. That's all you should worry about. Unless you want to talk about skill level when it pertains to sleights you would be able to accomplish, that's just a matter of self-preference- some people learn quicker than others and some people find other things harder than some other people.

Just my 2 cents
Don't get too hung up on skill level!:p

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Me personally, I wouldn't be too worried about that... unless you perform for magicians no one cares about your skill level, all the audience cares about is if you can perform for them.

Once you start thinking about beginner, intermediate and advanced you start forming a hierarchy which is not helpful. Everyone is different, just do your magic and entertain the world. That's all you should worry about. Unless you want to talk about skill level when it pertains to sleights you would be able to accomplish, that's just a matter of self-preference- some people learn quicker than others and some people find other things harder than some other people.

Just my 2 cents

Thats also very very true.
I just wanted to answer the question for once.
But he's right

Apr 1, 2009
California
I'm in agreeance with the post above. As much as it sounds like a broken record, practice, practice, and then practice some more, and soon your worries of skill level will be down the drain because you will soon be on a cloud looking down at everyone else worrying about their skill level.

Jul 14, 2008

Just my 2 cents

I strongly everything he said. The audience just want to see you perform. That's all.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
If a guy says he's a beginner, he probably is a beginner, though there's a chance he's being humble.

If a guy says he's an intermediate, he's almost certainly a beginner.

If a guy doesn't rate himself, then the probability that he is advanced increases exponentially.

People are generally terrible at rating themselves. Not to mention, most people who rate themselves don't have any idea what they're talking about (these are the same ones who don't even know the ropes, or have any idea about what magic is - they just know that they can perform a pass, but don't realise that they perform it badly). Not to mention that there's no real test for these sorts of things.

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
I think the best way to identify level is by the experience/ practice a person has had.

To me (and only to me)

-Beginner: 0-2 years
-Intermediate 2-6 years
-Advance 6-10 years
-Mastery 10 years +

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I think the best way to identify level is by the experience/ practice a person has had.

To me (and only to me)

-Beginner: 0-2 years
-Intermediate 2-6 years
-Advance 6-10 years
-Mastery 10 years +

But surely that implies the old adage that "Practice makes perfect" which, whilst a good mantra to teach to kids, is surely flawed in real life? Practicing singing for ten years doesn't make someone a master singer for example... Just look at Casey Donovan :p

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
But surely that implies the old adage that "Practice makes perfect" which, whilst a good mantra to teach to kids, is surely flawed in real life? Practicing singing for ten years doesn't make someone a master singer for example... Just look at Casey Donovan :p

LOL pwned.
Well Practice doesn't make perfect :p
Practice makes permanent. So it is about the way you practice and the effort put in that gives you the end result. So I guess it is possible to do something for a long time, and still not improve, however you will still be proficient, if practice is approached the right way.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
LOL pwned.
Well Practice doesn't make perfect :p
Practice makes permanent. So it is about the way you practice and the effort put in that gives you the end result. So I guess it is possible to do something for a long time, and still not improve, however you will still be proficient, if practice is approached the right way.

Touché. Unless you're Casey Donovan. :) Hopefully see you tomorrow dude?

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
If you have to ask, you'll never know.

There are too many factors involved to determine where someone actually is. I wouldn't worry about it much.

If a move is considered 'intermediate' and you can do it, it doesn't make you and intermediate card handler. The same applies to easy magic, just because you use self working effects doesn't make you a beginner.

Prae had a nice take on it, anyone who classifies himself is probably lying.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results