Thursday Night Roundtable - The Diagonal Palm Shift

Nov 18, 2008
CA
Yes I know that the push through has that sort of rhythym and momentum, but at the same time, like Tony Chang says, the spec can almost sense that momentum, and can suspect that that hand that is moving from the front, down the side, and out the back has some control over that card. I like to do the peek and the other equally in all honestly

That is a very good point. If you remember that Roundtable podcast with Apollo Robbins, he talked about how the human eye tends to "snap back" to a starting position and how we are more attracted to arched movements. This is why he uses arched movements as opposed to straight ones when he wants the spectators attention in a certain area. I sort of applied this to the shift. As other's have said, it looks less noticeable when the left hand remains as stationary as possible as the right hand moves the deck forward. When you make a straight forward path towards the spectator or a table, spectators have this strange tendency to jump back to your left hand, no matter how smooth the shift was done.
To avoid this, after the card is palmed and out of the deck, I started tilting the deck up and flashing the bottom in an arched movement as if to show the card is cleanly in the center before placing it on a table or handing it to a spectator. If you watch the eyes of the spectator, they are much more drawn to the movement than just placing it straight on the table. Just something I noticed.

Still, I love using the peek method as well. Both techniques work better in different situations.

Mar 26, 2009
Arizona
well, i use the jason england method catching the corner with the thumb and not using the right index finger to slide the corner down. I can get the card to pivot out on the first squaring motion but it isnt lined up very well with my left palm. If i pull it down first till it butts up against my right thumb, then move my left hand forward and then back again in a squaring motion, i can get it out pretty well. To accomodate this, i usually do the delayed DPS method taught in BFU, getting the card angle joged out the back against my right thumb, holding the deck with my right hand only in biddle grip, and right when my hands come together i steal it out.

Nov 29, 2008
Well I can tell you that you might just have to play around with how far you pull down the card, how far you angle it out and such until it fits your hands and your motions. Honestly there isn't much to tell because it is a little different with each persons hands. But, honestly, I think you are fine the way you are, the delayed handling from BFU is actually quite good in my opinion because I like the extra time delay it adds, because you aren't putting the card right in and stealing it out, because that whoel motion could very well look practiced and in turn, suspicious.

Hello, I would love to take part in this discussion.
I have been doing the DPS for a number of years and have felt that it is getting to a point where i can be proud of it. Now there is definitely room for improvement and Im sure with more practice, the gap can be filled. I have been developing a method for controlling a card from center to the top via DPS, I hope you do enjoy and do not mind the fake british accent. http://vimeo.com/8148561. Mind you that this was over 4 months ago and I have seen refined the tempo break. I wish i could show you how it is now, but i have recently broken my wrist and am unable to do so.

Nov 29, 2008
Even there is looks quite good Michael. Do you have any tips or performance aspects to discuss with the regular DPS from your experience?

Mar 26, 2009
Arizona
wow that fooled me... I saw all the hand movement in the back and thought "this isnt very smooth", and then you turn over the top card and I definitely didnt see any replacement so good job. Just try to eliminate the unnecessary hand movement and you have yourself a damn good sleight! :D

Jul 14, 2008
I love the Diagonal Palm Shift and someone gave me great tips on how to improve it and I gotta give credits to the guy.

1. The left forefinger should straighten out at the same time you transfer the jogged card from your right forefinger to left thumb

2. The right hand, after moving to the right to cover the actions of the left fingers should be relaxed and natural, not stiff

3. The deck should be moved forward with your right hand as you pull the jogged card to the rear with your left thumb.

4. The left thumb should not kick out as you palm the card

You can find his youtube channel and truly an expert like Erdnase.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jwessmiller

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results