A messy assortment of my thoughts.

If you read this then I assume you are like me and not having to do anything tonight or perhaps another day. Just some random thoughts on some things that somewhat relate to nothing.

In life you get one chance or so they say, perhaps it was thought that when you get a second chance it becomes to difficult to make use of it. Using your second chance takes time and much more effort, often ridicule and hardship along the road to your goal.

Now think about this with your performances. You get this one chance to perform for these people and you will more than likely not see them again. Make your best use and try not to screw it up with insults, petty behavior, or just boring them with a "neat trick." Make every performance count, because habit and self criticism is going to be the two things that will help you more than anybody in this field.

Roughly a week ago I was just listening to some good ol' Isaac Sheperd and I thought about the word magic. For just a quick second I really remembered what it was like when I watched it as a child, wonder poured over my body as my thoughts were recollected. I have tried to get the same wonder several times over but it just won't happen, perhaps forcing it isn't the key.

Do you want to perform for some people and ruin that sense of wonder for the rest of their life. NOOOOOOOOO, of course not. Perhaps they should just watch Blaine, or Copperfield to get a non risky type of feeling. Yet, when I continue to think about it I wanted to have some sort of role in it. Not anything selfish but to know I could influence their thoughts on magic and what it is seems like a bit of a responsibility.

If you think I put to much thought onto this then you should hear my ranting on things that are actually important to the nation. If you are performing for somebody and it's their first time ever really seeing it, then you have the obligation to impress them for the rest of their life. You should now be a standard that is only met or exceeded by fancy stage effects and camera CG.

If I were to take away your deck of cards, could you still perform. I'll be honest, I know I couldn't, mentalism yes but magic no. I just haven't pushed myself in getting into everday object magic. There is plenty out there, rubberbands you can wear and look tacky, but it still proves a use as there is much you can do with them.

Look at sweetly done, while it is a gimmick I'm sure many people can find an impromptu version of this. I want everybody to understand something that requires some push. I know some people won't really care about performing all the time and will just say, maybe when I can get some cards. If I heard that while I was still a spectator I would lose so much respect for them as a magician.

Make me float, make yourself float, make my computer disappear. Obviously quite difficult, but little things like making quarters breach into objects, rubberbands linking themselves, and gum packets refilling with just a stretch and a squeeze. That is magic, to perform miracles with w/e you have, if it's cards then so be it, however you need to exceed expectations with your own or specially requested props.

When you got into magic it was probably something specific you wanted to accomplish. You chose your poison in terms of what interested you and what path you wanted to take. Now looking back on what you knew and what you wanted to achieve compared to what you understand and what you have accomplished what has changed?

Just a quick question for everybody who actually reads this nonsense.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
I read it;)
Funny that you bring this up, as it's something that I've really gotten into lately. Magic with random objects. To me, it seems so much more...magical than magic with coins or cards. I love coins and cards, but they seem like sleight of hand and fast hands more than magic. I LOVE things like rubberband magic (I really want to get into it), and things with random everyday objects. Like Redline. It's done with a completely random object, and to the spectator, they think it's impossible for you to have practiced a trick using chapstick or lipstick, as it seems so... random.

I think things like magic with random objects should be done when the opportunity arises. It shouldn't be like "Hey! Does someone here have some chapstick I could borrow? I wanna show you something cool...". It should be more like, if you see someone using chapstick or lipstick, say, "Hey, could I see that for a sec?" and blow them away. It seems impromptu and amazing.
Just some thoughts. Nice post...

Dec 4, 2009
Now that Has A LOT of sense in it. I agree with doing magic with everyday objects. like david blaine and his shoelace trick. and your entirely right about the wonder when you were a child. we as magicians need to keep that is it is. Practice Practice Until you can get it right 200 times perfect in a row. Do it in front of a camera that doesn't even blink allowing you to get flawlessly amazing. But Why take away cards? when people thing magician or underground magician no matter what type of magic one thing that at least pops up in my mind... is cards... even with underground magician I still think cards. I'm Only 13 So I can't wait to see what magic holds for us in the future... will it be more complicated? will it be easier? Whatever it is. I hope it will fill audiences with wonder more then ever before. (Yes I know I babbled on a lot)

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
How so, with the Deja Vu?

Posted something like this months ago.
And I was even being nice about it. ME. NICE!

But mostly all the "cardists" defended themselves with everything they got by shrugging me off and saying I was stupid for thinking that way.
The thread was called -Put the cards down- I think

Nov 15, 2009
I agree with using something more than just cards and coins. Don't get me wrong, I use coins and cards. I have many types of decks. Here's the thing...
In recent years there has been such a push for custom decks by all these different companies out there, it has kind of encouraged magicians towards card magic more than ever.

Rubber bands are great to use and are very magical. Sponge ball magic is also visual.

Just wanted to add my thoughts....

Have Fun!

Nemesis...

Wow, I read that thread and to read all of their nonsense. I am usually a very open person but reading those useless posts that apparently came from an education in not reading and comprehending fully.

I especially love the one who says something about Darwin Ortiz, who in my head I don't even understand why he would say that. First person to escape from a straight jacket underwater, has put on full paid gigs with just a thumbtip. You kidding me, worst example to use why you can't use any variety in your magic.

I am considered by some to be harsh apparently, and while I may be at times a bit rash at the most I never considered myself harsh. This though, never heard such ignorant statements about something they could easily have answered if they read the friggin post.

Revived the thread for a bit hopefully.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Wow, I read that thread and to read all of their nonsense. I am usually a very open person but reading those useless posts that apparently came from an education in not reading and comprehending fully.

I especially love the one who says something about Darwin Ortiz, who in my head I don't even understand why he would say that. First person to escape from a straight jacket underwater, has put on full paid gigs with just a thumbtip. You kidding me, worst example to use why you can't use any variety in your magic.

I am considered by some to be harsh apparently, and while I may be at times a bit rash at the most I never considered myself harsh. This though, never heard such ignorant statements about something they could easily have answered if they read the friggin post.

Revived the thread for a bit hopefully.

Thanks man.
Hopefully both of these threads get some positive insight/feedback

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Learn coin magic. Not to do coin magic, unless you want to of course, but the sleights and palms can be adjusted to just about anything that can be palmed or concealed. If you can palm and clip coins, you can also palm and clip many other objects.

The difficulty level will vary from object to object, but practice with lighters and pens and other items. Find a good vanish, ditch, and steal...then find some awesome reveal.

General sleight of hand is a skill that will help you in any situation, and will get you away from cards and other props.

Last week I performed for some people outside smoking, I asked for a lighter. I did a simple retention vanish and ditched it into the outside jacket pocket of the guy who let me borrow it. I then took a step back (distancing myself) asked who's lighter it was (even though I remembered) and then told him to check his pocket.

I then walked inside so I could both warm up and go on with my day.

I'm guilty of using cards more than I should. I can't deny that. But I do strive to open myself up and go for new things. The whole reason I tried to lighter trick was to practice put-pocketing (reverse pick-pocketing). If I got caught, oh well, go inside and let them forget about me. If they wanted to see more I might have indulged them.

I believe it was David Blaine who said to walk up to someone and ask them to name a card, any card. He had just explained (in his book Mysterious Stranger) about the %'s that you can expect from men and women and ways to influence those numbers. You then take a guess, with decent odds, at their card. If you get it wrong just tell them you're sorry for wasting their time and move on.

Sure miss 7 in a row. Hit the 8th. You now have a miracle on your hands and can easily transition into a small routine.

:)

Paul Brook actually has something based on that little effect, and it's quite useful. Uses a well known gimmick though as the last out.

I actually have made a billiards ball disappear from my hand, to my pocket, then without anybody apparently seeing me put it back onto the table in the rack.

Certainly nothing magical, but a sleight of hand demonstration everybody enjoyed. Bunch of relatives and close friends so wasn't anything formal or trying to prove anything.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Paul Brook actually has something based on that little effect, and it's quite useful. Uses a well known gimmick though as the last out.

I actually have made a billiards ball disappear from my hand, to my pocket, then without anybody apparently seeing me put it back onto the table in the rack.

Certainly nothing magical, but a sleight of hand demonstration everybody enjoyed. Bunch of relatives and close friends so wasn't anything formal or trying to prove anything.

something very similar happened to me at work.
Outside of the restuarant I found a golfball in the parking lot.
I kept it until closing time and as we were cleaning,I asked the boss(who loves golf) to stop for a second. Just like that. Showed both my hands "empty"(my own handwash)and rubbed my thumb and first finger together and POP! the golf ball appeared from no where.His eyes widened. And put his hands over his eyes and laughed hysterically.
I then asked him if he would like to join me and my father for a game on saturday.

Now my dad has a good business connection. And my boss tee's off always with that ball considering it his luck one.

I unfortunately usually disagree with a lot of your thoughs for no reason in perticular..........but I compleately agree with this. This is what really separates magic as a profession from a hobby. I know that if someone took away my cards I wouldn't be able to perform magic well if at all. It is definately something to strive for, the feeling of euphoria that magic brings to a spectator. I am glad that you took the time to write this and reading it I see your perspective on other threads I have read.

Needless to say from the start of my magic to now, my perspective has changed a lot. I am not really excited by much magic anymore (I should say any card magic) because of all that I have already seen, I guess that it is the time to change my magic standpoint, start into a different field. Again glad that you took the time for this, excelent thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand the persona that "Sweetly Done" can be done with sleight of hand and without turning this into a debate it's important to understand the impact and practicality of the effect.

I worked in a restaurant for almost six years and even with the best sleight of hand I have discovered this...magicians think people are stupid. Plain and simple people know somehow that quarter was behind the packet or clipped or something trust me when I tell you at some point they go home and think man that was crazy but he slipped it in the packet somehow. The benefits to my effect are several...

1. It's easy and practical to make.
2. They freely feel they have chosen a random packet.
3. They can handle the packet before the penetration to assure there's no quarter.
4. They can feel the quarter themselves after the penetration conforming the quarter is present.
5. They see it come out of the packet in a very convincing manner.
6. The packet is ripped open for inspection.

These are the benefits to my effect just to clear any confusion up on that plus did I mention the gimmick is nearly impossible for the human eye to see.

When you perform this effect people will freak out and remember you for it and will come back for more, they will have that true magical experience every magician strives for I wouldn't have released it otherwise it's not my style just wanted to add these thoughts to the thread.

Thanks,

Shane

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results