Getting started in restaurant/walk around magic.

Nov 10, 2009
I'll Only tell PedoBear
Hello,

I have been doing magic for a while mostly cards. I want to get a restaurant job because I recently turned 16 and am aloud to get job now. I don't really know how to get a job or ask for one or anything. I am not nervous at all any more. I have a three trick routine that I have perfected.

So I have a couple of questions

1) how do you get a job
2) how should you/do you ask people to see a trick in restaurant magic
3) How much should I probably get paid.

Any other thoughts or comments are welcome.

Dec 7, 2008
New Jersey
Go buy "Live at the Jailhouse", "The Magic Menu", and "The Resturant Worker's Handbook" and study them.

I feel like I botched the titles.

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
Like the above post, deffinetly get live at the jail house, its a 3 dvd set and it covers a lot.
As far as asking someone to see a trick...i think every magician asks differently so depends. I don't do restaurants yet but I have done walk-around gigs. I go up to a table introduce myself to the people, ask their names, tell them im a magician and have been asked to entertain them then I ask if theyd like to see some magic. thats me personally...you always wanna introduce yourself and ask their names too, be engaging and kind even if they say they dont want to see magic. If that happens just say ok thanks anyway and walk away. Or something along those lines.
Also its important to have more than one 3 trick routine. I would say get at least 4 sets for walk around, keep in mind you could have to turn to the table next to you and you don't wanna do the same routine. I would suggest branching out a little from cards if your gonna work in a restaurant, but you dont have to. Also you could get same customers to come back and you don't wanna be showing them the same thing, you want them seeing newer/different things.

Theres several threads about this topic so you can search for them, im a little tired and cant think right now so ill leave it there.

-Nikki

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AdamF8
Jan 10, 2008
I aspire to become a restaurant magician myself and i'm going to pass on some advise that my good friend Steve Reynolds gave me. Before I give you the advice let me just say that Steve currently performs steady gigs at four different restaurants, six days a week in the New Orleans area.

Before the thought tricks or anything comes into play, start with the business cards. Your business card needs to look professional. It should not say, "I do kids parties, banquets, corporate work, and about a thousand other things. Just say exactly what you do. On my business card it says underneath my name: Sleight-of-Hand Performer. Of course my contact info is on there as well, but the card itself looks utterly professional. Something that a lawyer might give you.
The tricks that you perform have to be quick, visual, and strong. The tricks can not require a big set-up. Absolutely little to no reset time.
Tricks that require audience participation are great, for example a Cards Across routine.
As far as getting a job at a restaurant, get a little seven minute routine down pat. More or less, about 5 really great tricks. Go into a restaurant that you have scoped out and ask to see a manager, or preferably the owner. Explain what your purpose is. Explain that you are a professional magician that specializes in close-up magic. Tell them that you know from experience that having a magician in a restaurant could boost a restaurants clientele and create a buzz around the town or city. Show them a few tricks. Tell them this is exactly what the customers could expect to see. If they are reluctant or unsure, offer to work a couple of weeks for free. If your restaurant act is solid and you do it well, after a couple of weeks, word will get around. The manager or owner will see more people coming in, they will see that the customers are having a good time. Some costumers may even come back just to see the magic! If this happens, then go back to the authority of the restaurant and hopefully negotiate a price per day. Starting out I would say no more than a $100 for three hours. With more experience comes better fees.
The act that you perform should have diversity in it. In other words, something more than just cards. For example, Sponge Balls kill in a restaurant setting!
Never ask anybody if they want to see a trick. Just introduce yourself as the entertainment for the evening that he restaurant has so kindly provided and ask if they are interested in seeing something that is absolutely free and incredible!
These are just little tidbits of advise that Steve gave to me. I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CoryH3 and AdamF8
Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Buy 'Close-up: The Real Secrets of Magic' by David Stone. 30 dollar book that is written for the exact purpose you need.

He goes over how to get jobs, how to spot and approach tables, how to handle yourself as a magician...and a ton of other things.

I would agree with 90% of IndustrialChild's post...I disagree with free trials.

If you want to offer to perform for one table so he can see you work and ask for input from the table right after. Their reactions should be enough.

If he wants a night, or a few weeks, of entertainment, tell him you wouldn't mind a one night trial-but you don't work for free.

A lot of restaurants know good and well that a free nights worth of entertainment, advertised properly, can be enough and won't hire you afterward.

Also, your fee, ask for what you think you're worth. If they decline tell them you can work with them on the price, and if the guarantee a certain number of weeks you can make certain price cuts. Say, one night a week for 3 hours you want x/hour but if you hire me for 2 nights and promise me 2 months of work I'll do it for y/hour. Where y is 20% (or so) less than x. (say 50/hour vs 40/hour.)

Nov 8, 2007
I would agree with 90% of IndustrialChild's post...I disagree with free trials.

If you want to offer to perform for one table so he can see you work and ask for input from the table right after. Their reactions should be enough.

If he wants a night, or a few weeks, of entertainment, tell him you wouldn't mind a one night trial-but you don't work for free.

I totally disagree. Offering to work one night for free is one of the best ways to land a job. Almost all restaurant magicians recommend offering a one night free trial. It's pretty common, and I believe it's a good strategy for getting yourself hired.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I totally disagree. Offering to work one night for free is one of the best ways to land a job. Almost all restaurant magicians recommend offering a one night free trial. It's pretty common, and I believe it's a good strategy for getting yourself hired.

If it has worked for you, then I can not argue against it. It's like arguing over existence of God when someone has personal experience, not worth an effort if you want to disprove them.

His age is a problem in your logic. Many restaurants might not take him seriously and look to take advantage of him. Not saying that it's right to exploit people, but too many people in businesses are ready to do it for profit.

If a few tricks for the owner/manager plus one or two tables worth of entertainment isn't enough, make sure he's serious about hiring you. It's not wrong to say 'no' to a free trial. Tell him you'll want compensation for your time and effort, even if it isn't what you'd normally get paid.

Dec 29, 2008
Colorado
Also make sure you have magic that will entertain the kids. Chances are, if you work a restruant, there will be families there. Keep in mind, some children will not understand some magic like adults will. And most parents would rather see something entertain thier children more so than themselves.

Sankey's DVD, Real Work on Restruants and Bars, has some cool stuff, espically the broken and restored crayon, which is great to entertain the kids.

Just my two cents.

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
Go buy "Live at the Jailhouse", "The Magic Menu", and "The Resturant Worker's Handbook" and study them.

I feel like I botched the titles.

All three perfect examples of what every walk-around or restaurant magician should own...

My old business cards were white on one side and black on the other. Whenever people were seated, the waiter/waitress handed them out my business card and explained that I will be performing walk-around magic throughout the evening. If they were interested in seeing some magic, they simply turned the business card over, black side up. That way, I knew who wanted to see magic and who didn't.

That was just my way of doing it. Eugene Burger also has a lot of material out on performing for these types of venues as well...

Mike

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
All three perfect examples of what every walk-around or restaurant magician should own...

My old business cards were white on one side and black on the other. Whenever people were seated, the waiter/waitress handed them out my business card and explained that I will be performing walk-around magic throughout the evening. If they were interested in seeing some magic, they simply turned the business card over, black side up. That way, I knew who wanted to see magic and who didn't.

That was just my way of doing it. Eugene Burger also has a lot of material out on performing for these types of venues as well...

Mike

That's a pretty cool way of thinking Mike. Knowing a little about your future spectator knowing that they want to see something amazing happen. I might have to use that sometime...

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
Please do!!!! I don't use that idea anymore...

It is best to make good with the wait staff that evening. They can help introduce you. Or if it is a VERY busy night, chances are that people will be waiting at the door to be called upon to sit. This is a perfect place to just create entertainment while they wait. Now you are REALLY giving the management staff a reason to want you to keep on comin back! :)

Aug 27, 2008
Tijuana bC
real secrets of magic (book), the real secrets of magic vol.1 and the real secrets of magic vol.2 nuff said, you have laying beneath these titles all the secrets, tips and tricks to bull rush the great jobs that restaurants & bars can offer you.

Nov 10, 2009
I'll Only tell PedoBear
Thanks for the advice every one. I will study the books and dvds you suggested and try to get a job (probably in a couple of months though) Thanks again. And Mike I love the black/white card thing and it is a great way to hand out your card

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results