I need help!

Nov 13, 2009
Irvine, CA
hey I have my first gig or whatever you wanna call it coming up and I have been doing magic for about a year. They want to pay me 50$ for an hour but I dont think i have an hour worth of stuff to do. I need tips on filling up time or tips in general on anything i should know.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
hey I have my first gig or whatever you wanna call it coming up and I have been doing magic for about a year. They want to pay me 50$ for an hour but I dont think i have an hour worth of stuff to do. I need tips on filling up time or tips in general on anything i should know.

Umm, probably shouldn't have accepted the gig if you weren't ready...
Anyway, are you going from table to table? Is it just one straight hour of doing magic for everybody? A little help could help some people give you some advice.

Nov 13, 2009
Irvine, CA
yeah without trying to sound cocky i think that my personality is one of my major strengths.

and its for a persons christmas eve party, mainly to to entertain people from 10-18 years old.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX

You shouldve thought twice about accepting that gig then.

For an hour? Ive gotten by on about 10 or so effects just cause thats MY personal fave number to be at for effects for gigs of an hour.

First off,dont be like other magicians with the personality of a brick. Talk to them.Lengthen the effect and make them CARE about whats going to happen. Nothing kills magic like lack of motivation.
Also,again,talk to them. Be conversational and dont make it seem your just there to do the job and thats it.

Take breaks in between some sets of performances. Dont just dish everything out all at once.Thats madness.
Are you table hopping or is it just a "people all around" party?
Give us more info than that.

Well 10 - 18 year olds will be hard to try "stretch" your effects out, but you can do it. You don't have a lot of time to practice the routines. Just try to involve the spectators as much as possible but how many effects do you have that you are planning on doing? Also try to do the same method for different effects... be creative!

Nov 13, 2009
Irvine, CA
i wouldnt be worried if it was table hopping because i can do tricks over to new people. its for people all around. my presentation is good in my opinion and i would say i have a pretty good assortment of tricks. should i start with my least good and work my way up or what?

You shouldve thought twice about accepting that gig then.

For an hour? Ive gotten by on about 10 or so effects just cause thats MY personal fave number to be at for effects for gigs of an hour.

First off,dont be like other magicians with the personality of a brick. Talk to them.Lengthen the effect and make them CARE about whats going to happen. Nothing kills magic like lack of motivation.
Also,again,talk to them. Be conversational and dont make it seem your just there to do the job and thats it.

Take breaks in between some sets of performances. Dont just dish everything out all at once.Thats madness.
Are you table hopping or is it just a "people all around" party?
Give us more info than that.
I agree with all this and yea if you aren't funny don't try to be. Like Visual said just make them want to watch it and talk with them not to them.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
i feel like im pretty set on card tricks but i want some good visual effects without cards. something like Thread or stigmata.

wow dude your really set back on this. Do you own these already?
Thread is something big. It shouldnt be performed lightly. Give it its grandeur it deserves. Stigmata is perfect.
Dont do card trick after card trick. Mix something in between so you wont look like a one trick pony.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
should i start with my least good and work my way up or what?

Thats usually how some people do it but its up to you. There is no actual ground rule that its the best way to go. Splice in middle ground good and the "quickie" tricks at the beginning and finish off...big?

Your confident. Thats good.Dont get cocky,people hate that. Not saying you are just telling you to be careful.

Nov 13, 2009
Irvine, CA
wow dude your really set back on this. Do you own these already?
Thread is something big. It shouldnt be performed lightly. Give it its grandeur it deserves. Stigmata is perfect.
Dont do card trick after card trick. Mix something in between so you wont look like a one trick pony.

i know stigmata but not thread.

i really want to learn it though

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
i know stigmata but not thread.

i really want to learn it though

I dont think youd be able to perform it well enough by chrismas eve. And by the time it even gets to you by ordering...
But it is a great effect if you know how to act and make it your strength in your act.
Most magicians dont look right doing it and just come off as plain gross.

Nov 13, 2009
Irvine, CA
I dont think youd be able to perform it well enough by chrismas eve. And by the time it even gets to you by ordering...
But it is a great effect if you know how to act and make it your strength in your act.

is the technique itself easy?

ive tried figuring it out on my own and end up just hurting myself haha. but i am a fast learner if that helps.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
is the technique itself easy?

ive tried figuring it out on my own and end up just hurting myself haha. but i am a fast learner if that helps.

holy crud dont do that. Its dangerous man.
Technical easy..yes. Hard to explain.
But buy it. Learning it the proper way is the only way to get the most out of it and the safest.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
I would agree with you there. Also (like you said) you can't really just do some card effects, than pull of Thread. It's like Control, you need to work up to it, or at least if you do it first, it has to be the right setting.
Good luck on your gig! Hope you do well!

Nov 13, 2009
Irvine, CA
I would agree with you there. Also (like you said) you can't really just do some card effects, than pull of Thread. It's like Control, you need to work up to it, or at least if you do it first, it has to be the right setting.
Good luck on your gig! Hope you do well!

thanks man

i also have a walk around gig for a party/book signing type thing coming on jan 9th if u got tips on that

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results