I need help!

Nov 22, 2009
www.youtube.com
i feel like im pretty set on card tricks but i want some good visual effects without cards. something like Thread or stigmata.
If you don't want so many card effects, if you know Pressure by Daniel Garcia and Dan White that will deffinetly be good because you could make that last some good time. Also, if you happen to have Fraud by Daniel Garcia that would be great. Also Wayne Houchin's Match Bite would be very good, especially since its an easy effect to perform. And use some coin magic, for example, the french drop is pretty good, although thats just a very quick time filler. You could use that into a transition into Fraud, if you know that I mean.

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
if i learn it tomorow and practice practice practice would i be ok?

No. My oppinion, but you got a week till christmas, you can't get really good at an effect with presentation included in one week. I spend months on effects and I still change around presentations for tricks ive had for a year. Its not just about moves but presentations and making it work for you.

with the walk around gig, be sure to get a few 3 trick routines I'd say about 3 should be good for you right now. Make them visual, quick, entertaining, and in the hands unless you KNOW there will be a table or space. Don't use anything that requires set up, you wont have time to re-set. And do a mix of things don't just do all cards. Don't forget for either gig to be engaging, and entertaining. Always listen to your audiences and what they have to say about your magic.

Perform for your friends, and after you show them a few different effects ask them what their favorite was and their least favorite and why. That can help.

Best of luck,
-Nikki

Take a five minute break, ask yourself if you are ready. If you aren't then just say that you were unprepared and apologize. It's better to quit out early while they can still get someone, then botching your performance and getting some bad rep.

If you can't make your effects last one hour then my advice is to just tell them you quit. It's not difficult to lengthen effects with real presentation, not filler talk and useless patter if you have read books. Like I said though, I would take the non paying road and work on what you need which obviously is stretching and making your effects count.

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
That's also something else to think about, I'd listen to sherlock. Do you really want to go through with this if your not ready? do you want to go unprepared and not do the best job you can? If you go in ready you won't have to worry about a 1st gig horror story [ive heard many, I waited till I was ready cause of it.] but if go in not ready....well, lets just say if you play with fire you have a risk of getting burned. If you think you feel you don't have enough knowledge or aren't ready back out.

-Nikki

I've done a few private parties doing magic, and walkaround restaurant with magic and mentalism.

I haven't done a private gig for mentalism yet, and not to long ago the oppurtunity arose. Unfortunately I had no material or routine set up for something like this, the woman had horrible planning and I had no idea how long or what type of audience I would have.

I was psyched though, and I talked with D ICE R about it and he brought me down to earth. I knew it wasn't good and with the ladies planning I didn't know if I was going to be hired as a mentalist, magician, or a clown (I don't do clowns.)

My first ever offer for a private party for mentalism and I turned it down because I had no plan for this type of stuff yet. I probably avoided an incredibly bad situation, and all I can do now is actually plan out now what I need to have ready, so next time I can accept the gig.

Oct 11, 2007
Hey man, watch the trailer for Wayne Houchin's Control here on T11. Notice the way that he performs in that setting, which he mentioned was a Christmas party that he was asked to perform at.

Also try to create small talk in between effects that lasts for about 5 minutes or so, then flow right into your next effect. Be careful with those age groups because they're real sticklers about effects so make sure everything that you do is FOOLPROOF too if you can.

Best,

emagician

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
. I need tips on filling up time or tips in general on anything i should know.

This sentance here, and please don't take offence to this, makes me think you don't really know much about doing a show. I think you should read some books FIRST, and get some more knowledge before starting, just my oppinion. If you need help/have questions you can PM me, or if you have aim my screen name is in my signiture.

Dude i think you should do it. Maybe tell them that a half hour is more realistic and if they absolutely need an hour filled then they might want to look into other options (unless of course you feel like you can do an hour). To many people let "not feeling ready" hold them back and then they never do anything. Two things though. Stigmata isn't any good for stage because they might not see what they're supposed to see at the end. If you do it make sure to figure out a way to let everyone see the writing. And thread is only good for a certain type of audience or event. Christmas eve feels a little mis-matched with thread if you ask me.

But you're basically going to have to figure out your line up of tricks (remeber start strong, end stronger) and then rehearse. Make sure you don't have any technical problems and then try to pace it so that you can get a good amount of time out of each effect. Figure out where you're jokes are going to be and memorize them and make sure to leave a little room for response (laughs hopefully). When you rehearse count the time it would take for them to laugh, the time it would take for them to applaud, and the time it will take for any participants to move up to the stage and go back to their seat. Just try to get a feeling for what it will really be like and then just rehearse man.

And remember. All experience is good experience. Its like Bill Malone says, "you have to suck before you can be good". So if you go out there and suck, do it with pride. And learn from it. Knowing that you've taken one more step towards being a great magician and great performer.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results