The Novels

Aug 31, 2007
So first of all, I hope no one takes offense to this, as that is not what I am trying to do at all. Now here's my point. Have I written my novel or two on this forum throughout the years? Yes, but it seems that lately, rather than genuine discussion, it's just a contest to see who can write the larger novel about their point of view on magic. This is probably untrue, but I just hope that this community can continue to be a place where magicians can go to learn, rather than a place to hear the same arguments and debates with bigger words in every thread.

-Tyler

Jan 10, 2008
I really do not think it is possible to have such a widely accessible forum such as this one and not have the same subjects repeated a plethora of times. That is just the price we all pay to have such a popular forum for magicians and magic enthusiasts.
It's not that bad though. In a way, discussing the same things over and over again could be a good learning experience for us all.
The only thing that annoys me about these forums, is when an idea just springs into your head for a new forum topic that might be beneficial to advance the art or to at least get people thinking. So, you post your idea or argument or question and the only response you get back is something along the lines of five people posting, "Oh, didn't you know that we discussed this topic six months ago, try using the search engine next time!"
Other than that, I love these forums and the people involved, and I have seen more good than bad as a result of these forums. So, i'll leave it at that.

Sincerely,
David

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Yea...
Novels annoy the hell out of me. Although some are quite good to read, i find that 80% of them now are just... aweful... Takes them 10 paragraphs to say "I dont know what others think but this is the way I think it should be done"
As for industrialchild, the search tool is there for a reason...

Aug 31, 2007
I really do not think it is possible to have such a widely accessible forum such as this one and not have the same subjects repeated a plethora of times. That is just the price we all pay to have such a popular forum for magicians and magic enthusiasts.
It's not that bad though. In a way, discussing the same things over and over again could be a good learning experience for us all.
The only thing that annoys me about these forums, is when an idea just springs into your head for a new forum topic that might be beneficial to advance the art or to at least get people thinking. So, you post your idea or argument or question and the only response you get back is something along the lines of five people posting, "Oh, didn't you know that we discussed this topic six months ago, try using the search engine next time!"
Other than that, I love these forums and the people involved, and I have seen more good than bad as a result of these forums. So, i'll leave it at that.

Sincerely,
David

Absolutely David, I completely agree with you. I was tired at the time I wrote my message, so I think my point may have become jumbled along the way. I am all about helping others in the discussion of topics, but sometimes it feels like members aren't just discussing the topics, but rather writing about them in order to sound like they know about the subject, and not actually taking the time to research it. Hopefully that makes more sense. This is not even a message against the forum, just a message to dry and help members discuss things coherently and sequently without losing their message.

I am probably one of the "novel" writters you are refering to, seeing as my posts can be long winded.

I for one, hate having to type out the same basic reply to the same five thread subjects on a bi-monthly bases so to counter that, I'll wait until I have something worth saying, type it out in what you would call a "novel", which is more closer to an essay but that's arguing semantics, make one post, and then constantly refer back to that single post.

I try to pick the threads I participate in carefully.

Aug 31, 2007
I am probably one of the "novel" writters you are refering to, seeing as my posts can be long winded.

I for one, hate having to type out the same basic reply to the same five thread subjects on a bi-monthly bases so to counter that, I'll wait until I have something worth saying, type it out in what you would call a "novel", which is more closer to an essay but that's arguing semantics, make one post, and then constantly refer back to that single post.

I try to pick the threads I participate in carefully.

Hey William. I want you to know that this post was not directed at you, as you are one of the several members that do think through the subject that they are discussing. What I come to find is that a large amount of the community tends to write about subjects in an essay format (and thank you, essay was the correct term that I was looking for) when they haven't clearly thought through the subject matter at hand. I myself have done this on several occasions, but it is becoming more and more prevalent lately as topics have been created

i totally agree tman. But this thread should be called "the crappy novles" (or essays). I just started participating in this forum but on other forums (penguin's for example) i have read some really great posts that could be classified as "essay's". The good thing though is that they're generally posted in the forum that is designated for essays. Unfortuneatly theory11 doesn't have one of those. But those essays were good because the author actually thought out what they were going to say and paid attention as they wrote rather than just rambling on as they typed to eventually produce a big peice of crap with one idea that could have been articulated in three sentances.

But yea thanks for pointing this out. Maybe it'll stop some people from doing this so much.
-Connor

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results