Card trick you would do for a magician...?

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
What is the first card effect that comes to your mind when you are asked to perform for other people sharing the same passion ... ?

if they ask then its for two reasons
1. Technicaliy
2.presentation/performance.

If its the first reason,then something dan and dave-esque that ive mastered in all technical aspects.
If its performance..well thats my own personal effect.

Something relatively self working with a key card or one of the things that i have created that would fool or at least puzzle them. I love when magicians fool me so i try to return the favor as often as possible.

Selfworking tricks have great potential to fool magicians because first of all there are no sleights to catch (hence the name) and seondly they usually rely on something that is unknown to the audiene (either a setup or a secret way of gaining information that nobody else is looking for). So, essentially theres no way of figuring them out except someone telling you how its done. Or knowing the general principles that were used and reverse engineering it.

I know thats more explanation then required but i figured i'd let you know why. :D

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
i have a few tricks depending on the style, age and experience of the magician.

one of my favorite tricks to perform is something of off AoA its named The Gambler, Mentalist and Magician. I have used this trick for a long time and really put a lot into it as far as subtleties, and my own patter and it cracks a lot of magician's up. Others are much more situational depending on the magician.

Feb 28, 2008
I personally don't like performing for Magicians unless I have a new effect I'd like to run through someone I trust for suggestions.

Aug 27, 2008
Tijuana bC
Something relatively self working with a key card or one of the things that i have created that would fool or at least puzzle them. I love when magicians fool me so i try to return the favor as often as possible.

Selfworking tricks have great potential to fool magicians because first of all there are no sleights to catch (hence the name) and seondly they usually rely on something that is unknown to the audiene (either a setup or a secret way of gaining information that nobody else is looking for). So, essentially theres no way of figuring them out except someone telling you how its done. Or knowing the general principles that were used and reverse engineering it.

I know thats more explanation then required but i figured i'd let you know why. :D

key card principle? that is too weak, but I do agree with you that self working tricks will puzzle a magician, but not amaze them, I personally now when a trick is self working so I don't try to figure out the method because of what you said its really tricky to find the method for these suckers, but again it wown't suprise them and thats what you basically want, to amaze them.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
You sure about the key card principle. I have fried many magicians using pieces that have key cards.

I would use something like my memory routine or the last phase of my out of this world routine.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
I think performing for magicians is actually quite useless, and the only practical reason I see for doing so is to check technique.

But, if they're being complacent, and I want them to advance their horizons:
-Diplopia by Paul Vigil
-Triple Coincidence by Juan Tamariz (I'm not sure if it's exactly how he does it, I just figure out my own version after watching his. I was going to buy "Sonata", but that's like a freaking antique nowadays)
-Anything using a stack
-Anything using a stooge

Sep 1, 2007
If you think self workers can't be amazing, then you should check out the one I use to close my act - it gets the most incredible reactions from laypeople and magicians alike.

When showing tricks to other magicians I try to figure out what they're interested in - what kind of methodology appeals to them, or style of effect, and jam on those concepts. I see it more as "sharing" than trying to fool, or impress.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I usually ask why they want to see it.

Like the owner of my local magic shop likes to see magic and give suggestions on script and other tips. I don't mind throwing things by him and getting help.

I usually get a feel for how experienced the other magician is...usually it's somebody at a party who knows a few things and wants to 'compete'. I usually ask them to do a trick first to see where I stand, and if I feel like indulging them I will do anything from Aaron Delong's Haunted Pack to my ace cutting sequence, that ends with spectator cut aces.

If they're just wanting to see magic I might do my card through table.

Overall I don't find myself in front of magicians though, these are just a few thoughts from the past.

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
I like to bust out a one way force deck and make it seem like I am some super master pass-terbator...they never think im using a one way force deck, well until I show them...lol

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
"Most magicians are just laymen with bunny rabbits on their business card."

So true.

And, for the record hector_cervantes, key card is the secret to probably my strongest impromptu trick.

Jul 15, 2009
For magicians?

Regardless of the purpose or reason. Since magicians are keen on what is going on in your performance. I would probably perform the very first trick I performed or some material that I've practiced for a good long period of time, of almost a year or so.

Why?

Coz, you can be sure to give a good show for them for an effect that you've run through hundreds of times. Even if its just a regular double lift, once perfected in the manner required for your long practiced effect,you'll let your magician audience go "Hey, that was cool, why can't I do that too?" or "Why hadn't I practiced this effect?This dude done it way better."or "Hey? That's a boring trick when i do it, why the heck it looks so much better when he's done it."

Got it?SPare the light of amazement, when you're with magicians you shine in a different spotlight.A light that shines after hours and hours of dedication to a single effect that other magicians use for other purposes.You shine as an inspiration to to others to improve their game. That's why any tric will do as long as I now that I've practiced it harder and longer than anyone of the magician audiences.

Cheers,
Krist Anthony

Jan 1, 2010
Is your intent to "fool" them?
OR
Is your intent to see what they think?

If the 1st, a good magician fooler can be found on an ALDO DVD.

Normal cards
Cards are mixed
Cards cut by spectatator
2 from half deck are freely touched and can be changed
These cards are lost in the other half
You show cards are not near top
You show cards not near bottom
You then combine packs and give to the spectator to find both cards
With her back turned, she goes through deck and finds both

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results