Any Card at Any Number

Sep 17, 2009
Berglas Effect

Talk to David Berglas, he's considered the master at acaan.

The Mind & Magic of David Berglas written by David Britland, gives you an overview of the method, but doesn't really teach you. You can get an idea of the method and the rest is experimentation on your own.

I hope this helps..

Cheers,

Alan

Dec 21, 2009
China
Talk to David Berglas, he's considered the master at acaan.

The Mind & Magic of David Berglas written by David Britland, gives you an overview of the method, but doesn't really teach you. You can get an idea of the method and the rest is experimentation on your own.

I hope this helps..

Cheers,

Alan

I've seen that book,but what it takls about "The Berglas Effect" is not the legend effect.It's not clean...

Sep 24, 2007
But the version David Berglas performs is perfect. The book isn't giving you all the information...

Mar 26, 2009
Arizona
i read an interesting essay regarding the berglas effect, the "perfect" acaan. the essay proposes that the "perfect" acaan cant exist, and that the Berglas Effect's true amazingness is making people RECALL that the effect was perfect and clean. David Berglas is a master performer and audience manager, so maybe his perfect acaan is not in the method for the trick itself, but in creating this legendary effect through showmanship. If a perfect ACAAN exists, i would love to learn it. Through my research of the effect, the only clean method in regards to handling requires a memorized deck stack with math and maybe only one sleight like a pass or something. Other methods ive read about include subtle suggestive techniques and psychological ploys to avoid any card handling "imperfections".

HAS ANYONE EVER ACTUALLY SEEN OR WATCHED A PERFORMANCE by david berglas? i know from experience performing that a simple classic force and "mind reading", when done with proper showmanship, can be remembered as this amazing feat. Ive had people ask me to show them the trick where they just think of a card and I tell them, when really i did a spectator peak to glimpse. they dont even remember that i had cards in my hands and that i showed the cards to them. I dont know what this mental process is called, where the spectators' minds elaborate the effect for them, but this could be the real key to the Berglas effect. Just some food for thought.

- KK

Mar 26, 2009
Arizona
This is possible with Daniel Madison's Advocate.

no its not at all.... one of the rules for the "perfect" acaan is that the cards are in view the whole time, and how could you possibly load that selected card that you get from the advocate to the correct position in the deck? if you loaded it to the bottom, you could do a bottom deal at the named number, but another rule for the acaan is that the spectator deals the cards, so.....

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
no its not at all.... one of the rules for the "perfect" acaan is that the cards are in view the whole time, and how could you possibly load that selected card that you get from the advocate to the correct position in the deck? if you loaded it to the bottom, you could do a bottom deal at the named number, but another rule for the acaan is that the spectator deals the cards, so.....

Daniel does have an ACAAN effect in the advocate. And works the way it should.

Sep 24, 2007
You're probably right about Berglas, but since the conditions are,
-Deck is in full view entire time
-The magician never touches the cards AT ALL (no sleights)
-The card and number are free choices (no forces, psychological or otherwhise)
-The deck is normal
conventional thinking would have you believe that it's impossible.
Actually, i'm not sure that the last condition is applied, but it probably is.
Yes, people have actually seen the Berglas effect performed- he does it quite often. These boost the miracle status, especiailly as people already know what to look for.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I'll just put out some thoughts on what's been said so far. ACAAN is one of my pet effects, it's my favourite effect (tied with one other), it's the one I've performed most often, it's my opener, and often the only trick I perform.

On d+M's Advocate ACAAN - There are two versions given. They're not fantastic. Nice idea, but I think there are better applications of Advocate. I particularly like Advocate Wedge - the only sandwich trick I've seen where the two cards actually mean something and make sense - and Advocate Omni, which is just using your imagination. The ACAAN versions aren't bad, but there's definitely better out there. As far as conditions go, I think some are more important than others, and the tradeoffs of Advocate ACAAN outweight what you can do. There are better versions.

KK, technically, this does in fact fulfills the conditions of ACAAN though. Spectator freely names any card, any number, deals down themselves, magician never touches the deck. I like your thoughts about the plot though, and I believe I've read that essay as well.

On ACAAN conditions - Something I think is easy to forget is that we perform for laymen. See, it's all very good and well to say that the magician should never touch the cards, to use one example. But let me give you this scenario. Say I perform ACAAN twenty times to twenty different spectators, magicians and laymen alike. After 20 perfect performances, all 20 swear on their mothers' lives that I never touched the deck. There has been nothing strange, nothing dodgy, but all of them can recount the effect step by step and agree that I never touched the deck. But say that I did in fact touch the deck.

I personally feel that this effect would pass the aforementioned condition. To say that the magician MUST NOT ACTUALLY touch the deck is like saying, "Create an ACR where the card actually goes into the middle and is actually left into the middle". Well, if it's actually left there, then it's in the middle, there's no illusion. There's no magic. It's only when you allow a magician to perform a pass, or perhaps a top change, that the illusion of magic can happen.

Now, granted, there are some limitations. Ideally, I don't believe ACAAN should be performed with a gimmicked deck, for example. No matter how normal it may appear. But with a gimmicked deck, a spectator may look through the deck and see that it is in fact gimmicked upon close examination. With something like touching a deck, a spectator, no matter how hard he tries, will not be able to recall that you touched the deck, if you perform it properly, and that's the difference. Therefore I'd argue for some leeway in terms of interpreting the conditions, and remind us all that we create the illusion of magic for spectators.

In other words, I think it's a matter of perception. If laymen perceive the condition as passed, then it is passed, with the stipulation that laymen could not possibly discover anything to the contrary.

On my ACAAN - For those who are interested, there are a lot of sources on ACAAN. The version I use is a mixture of numerous different ACAAN effects and ideas rolled into one combined with a number of other miscellaneous ideas and principles as well as a tightly scripted performance. And yes, it fits all the criteria above. It's definitely not impossible. I like to think of it as a lateral thinking puzzle. Logically, it feels impossible. The conditions are there to rule out all possible magician intervention. So the challenge is simply to circumvent it.

Dec 21, 2009
China
Impressive! I cant agree with you more,and I am curious of your method!Will you be so kind to share it with me?
You has exceeded your stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until you clear some space

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results