Magic in Sydney?

Jun 27, 2008
Hey guys - Siggy here :p

Calling out to all of Sydney.

I am so lucky that I'm moving to Sydney in about half a month.
I'm wondering how good the "magic-facilities" are in Sydney?

Are there any magic shops, magic clubs, etc.? In Denmark where I come from - they are not very easy to come by, so it would be a nice surprise if Sydney had a well established magic community :p

Another reason why I'm asking is because I am flying all the way from tiny Denmark, and I am seriously considering bringing a brick of cards. Is this necessary or are cards (Bicycle, Tally Ho, etc.) readily available in Sydney?
I just don't want to waste any luggage room on cards if they are easy to get in Sydney anyways :)

I hope you can help me, Sydney :)

Thanks

SimSiggaard

Okay I don't live there (I live in New Zealand) But I buy most of my stuff from a shop in Sydney (www.taylorsmagicshop.com.au) Sean is really helpful and only ever sells quality products, He gives great customer service and when my Aunty and Uncle took a holiday to Sydney they dropped in there to buy me a couple things and they said he was great. He also has a room out the back of his shop which a lot of lectures and workshops happen at, he also has a annual superday weekend (which is like a convention). So definitely check that shop out and also there is another which I think is in Sydney: http://www.heyprestomagic.com.au/ and they know about all the clubs and other local magicians.

Nov 19, 2007
Yea as mentioned above there are 2 magic shops in sydney.. As for cards... Most playing cards in Australia are fairly expensive ($10 AUD or so) for a deck of bikes..

As for other magicians there is a group called Decksterity which occasionally meet up in the city. Its made up of magicians and flourishers.

Hope that info helped :)

-Jase

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
Hi there SimSiggaard

First off, all Sydney-siders would like to welcome you to Sydney.
A little about Sydney and its magic

There are two magic shops:
1) Hey Presto magic studio (in CBD)
2) Taylors magic shop (in Chatswood)

There has been a growing interest in magic these part years in Sydney. There are groups (official and unofficial) and societies that you can join to further you magic. I'll be the first to Admit that there are very few professional magicians in Sydney, and the enthusiasm isnt as great as other States say Melbourne Australia.

You will definitely get support for your magic, and Sydney is a very multicultural city. Feel free to contact me and a few other Sydneyside magicians, when you arrive.

-DL

Jun 27, 2008
Okay I don't live there (I live in New Zealand) But I buy most of my stuff from a shop in Sydney (www.taylorsmagicshop.com.au) Sean is really helpful and only ever sells quality products, He gives great customer service and when my Aunty and Uncle took a holiday to Sydney they dropped in there to buy me a couple things and they said he was great. He also has a room out the back of his shop which a lot of lectures and workshops happen at, he also has a annual superday weekend (which is like a convention). So definitely check that shop out and also there is another which I think is in Sydney: http://www.heyprestomagic.com.au/ and they know about all the clubs and other local magicians.

Thanks for the links. I'm browsing as I'm writing :) Will be sure to go there when I arrive.

Yea as mentioned above there are 2 magic shops in sydney.. As for cards... Most playing cards in Australia are fairly expensive ($10 AUD or so) for a deck of bikes..

As for other magicians there is a group called Decksterity which occasionally meet up in the city. Its made up of magicians and flourishers.

Hope that info helped

-Jase

Thats quite expensive compared to what I can get bikes for in Denmark.. I think I'm gonna bring a brick just in case :p
And yeah :D Every bit of info helps.

Hi there SimSiggaard...

...You will definitely get support for your magic, and Sydney is a very multicultural city. Feel free to contact me and a few other Sydneyside magicians, when you arrive.

-DL

Thanks :) I'm pretty sure I will :) I'm really looking forward to experience the whole culture in Sydney - magic and non-magic, so it will be nice to have a place to start out.

- SimSig

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 27, 2008
By the way.. Are there any other people from these forums that are from Sydney?

Or at least that I should know of?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results