Mentalism/Hypnosis

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
I'm looking to begin mentalism. I know, 13 Steps, which I plan on getting soon. However, I've come across Practical Hypnotism by Ed Wolff and wonder if it's any good. It's something that sounds interesting, because in order to make people believe magic, you must convince them, and hypnotism is one path.

So, overall, I'd like thoughts on Wolff's text and other good resources for beginning mentalism.

Ian

They are two separate ideas and practices, don't mix them together. I'm sure some may disagree but you don't mix up your routines and character by doing mixing two different acts.

I will label off everything one last time, there's way to many threads on both of these.

Fundamentals by Bob Cassidy
13 Steps to Mentalism
Practical Mental Magic- Anneman

Hypnosis

Reality is Plastic-Anthony Jaquin
Manchurian Approach-Anthony Jaquin
Anything related from Richard Nongard.

http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=24190
http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=22400
http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=24342
http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=24311
http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=23857
http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=23431

There are tons of reccomendations along with a lot of good discussion and peeks behind the work of mentalism.
And don't stick only to the first post but really read every post, there are massive amounts of contributions from many of our fine Mentalists on this board. Also there are a lot of books and other resources listed there.

On the note of which one, in my mind there is no difference. Although 13 Steps might be better for the reason of it being specially written for beginners showing them how mentalism works.

Mikk

Sorry for not reading your posts through carefully the first time.
Hypnosis is another branch of Entertainment, its an art of its own, often taken as magic or mentalism, although its not.

You will understand more and more once you take steps in mentalism that actually that Hypnosis talk is actually part of a character and not directly used in mentalism.
Often yes, mentalism and hypnosis are mixed together but mostly it is a Hypnotist doing mentalism effects as a side dish, not a Mentalist doing hypnotism as a side dish.

This has something to do with the principles in mixing Magic and mentalism, if you mix Hypnosis and mentalism you get a strange mix of people thinking that by doing a billet routine you are actually hypnotizing everyone then switching out and manipulating with the billets moving to the same spot and going on with the show.

Yes, one can use Hypnosis to further make his Psychological character be stronger but the techniques involved usually stay within principles that do not need direct hypnosis at all. Its rather playing with the subconscious mind. Usually a hypnosis act would use a number of people who are put under and then demonstrated the powers of the mind. Hypnotizing someone is not exactly a 2 minute job, its rather a 10-15 minute process(speed induction, a concrete hypnotizing would take many sessions and hours of work).

Anyone who does hypnotizing please speak, since some of this might be bullcrap since i have not been in the art long enough!
Sorry for the missayings, if any.

Mikk.

Been doing hypnosis for almost 3 years now, and the conclusion I have come to is because they result in two different aspects.

Mentalism is understanding and reading someones reality as they perceive it, you feel the connection and build on it to understand the individual.

Hypnosis is changing their reality and perspective to what you want, sounds scary when put like that and I'm sure no one would want to be the dummy if someone said that. While both are entertaining, they both offer different aspects to the mind games.

Hypnosis talk is more like influence without a complete takeover. Example being some psychological effects from psychological subtleties or just psychological influencing from books like Alchemical Tools.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 13, 2007
North Hollywood
I been preforming hypnosis for a year or 2 now, and I mix mentalism with hypnosis all the time, i find it easier to build credibillity witht the spectator once you have done some mentalism.
I use some tricks like one of jay sankeys effects, that makes it look like the spectator forgot one of four symbols that was on a card. although the card is sighned. the spectator swearst here were only 3 symbols, while the rest of the audiance sees the same card with 4 symbols and the signature of the participant on it. I tell them that this was a slight trance i put them in to achive that effect, then continue into a real induction or set piece.

I'll agree with that, however I don't think hypnosis into mentalism is a good idea but the way he described it is very good. That effect is one of the three effects I use from that DvD. Absolute stunner that will baffle people forever that is if you play it right and have good timing with the card.

I been preforming hypnosis for a year or 2 now, and I mix mentalism with hypnosis all the time, i find it easier to build credibillity witht the spectator once you have done some mentalism.
I use some tricks like one of jay sankeys effects, that makes it look like the spectator forgot one of four symbols that was on a card. although the card is sighned. the spectator swearst here were only 3 symbols, while the rest of the audiance sees the same card with 4 symbols and the signature of the participant on it. I tell them that this was a slight trance i put them in to achive that effect, then continue into a real induction or set piece.

That is performing as a psychological/hypnotist. More so id not use a card effect if you truly hypnotize someone afterwards. Id use something else that does not make them think that magic could have been implied because when they see what real hypnotism is after youve said that you put them under for a moment people could start thinking that hypnotism didn't have anything to do with it.

Just my two cents tho...

Mikk.

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
I have a good friend who is a professional hypnotist. Been to Vegas and back and has done some stuff over at the Castle too. He actually mixes mentalism with Hypnosis and well, it is paying his bills. :) Again, I think it is all in how you present yourself.

He actually wants to put something out with T11 on Hypnosis... :) :) :)

Mike

I have a good friend who is a professional hypnotist. Been to Vegas and back and has done some stuff over at the Castle too. He actually mixes mentalism with Hypnosis and well, it is paying his bills. :) Again, I think it is all in how you present yourself.

He actually wants to put something out with T11 on Hypnosis... :) :) :)

Mike

It can be done actually, but the innovation is crazy. There are guys out there mixing mentalism and magic and are doing a hell of a job.
But it needs so much work that when you succeed, you have doors open like no other, but if you fail, its back to the start with you.
But again im talking mostly from a Mentalism-magic mixing perspective.

But hypnosis on T11, im not sure if that will work. But well what ever they think might bring in the big bucks its on!

Mikk.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
It can be done actually but the innovation is crazy. There are guys out there mixing mentalism and magic and are doing a hell of a job.
But it needs so much work that when you succeed you have doors open like no other but if you fail it back to the start with you.
But again im talking mostly from a Mentalism-magic mixing perspective, there are techniques you can get to mentalism that work.

But hypnosis on T11, im not sure if that will work. But well what ever they think might bring in the big bucks its on!

Mikk.

COMPLETELY agree. He actually DID fail a lot in the beginning, because he didn't know how to properly mix it. After a few years, he got it right.

As for T11 and Hypnosis, he just said he would like to put something out there WITH them. I don't see a market for Hypnosis and T11. Just like I don't see a midget ever playing for the NBA, but hey, both COULD happen...

Mike

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results