Want to start - CARDS

Dec 12, 2009
London Uk
Hey guys. I have looked around and have seen loads of people asking for tips to how to start some sort of magic, here is a guide, i have taken everything everyone has said that is worthy into this post so CARD MAGIC.

What playing cards to get?
This is a question that only you can help your self its a personal preference, some like air cushion, some like UV-500 etc. So I would recommend getting one of each, so for air cushion get a bicycle deck, for UV-500 get one of those ellusionist decks, liniod get tally hos. You like the deck you buy more of it. Some walk in magic shops offer a try before you buy. If you are in london, check davenports magic shop in charing cross station. Also when you are practicing, get a normal bicycle this is better so that if you get something wrong and somethings gets dirty or a card gets bent to much, you can quickly get a new one. So personal preference is the answer to this one. If you like the look more than the quality you should get a deck that something like smokes and mirrors or a ghost E deck (DISGUSTING All ellusionist ever do is make everything black or make everything white) Smoke and mirrors feel great and they are great looking so thats what you might want, when they are back in stock. HEHE

What should be my first book?
Royal road to card magic or the card college volumes. For the new magician today i would recommend Card college, mainly some of the things are up to date on method and such. OR you could get both, I did, and its great learnt alot and remembered stuff i forgot when i finished Royal road to card magic.
Then from there own you want to try out Expert at the card table or expert card techinque, these offer harder sleights and methods.Also PRACTICE, you will never become a succesful magican unless you practice and get good and what you do. After you have practiced, perform, take note when you are performing take note of how the spectator acts. If you are doing something like counting a bunch of cards and the spectator looks away out of boredom then you know you must improve your patter. I did this when I was younger with a pen camara i had, I actually went home and saw the videos and took note. If you are working in a bar why dont have a camera planted secretly at the spectator, with the bar owners permission. Dont have it out, the spectator would see it and try to look cool.

What DVD would you recommend?
DARYL'S ENCYCLOPEDIA OF CARD SLEIGHT, now I would not recommend this to beginners but this is AMAZING, I use this to try and find a way of making the method of my trick. It explains, jogs, auto-jogs,double lifts,triple lifts,glide etc etc I watch some of it at least every week. Its a 8 volume set and its around 20 bucks (I am so cool) in America land, in the uk its around 25 pounds. If you want some other good stuff, try out born to perform (google), I have not seen this but loads of people recommend it

I need help to build confidence?
Magic is not for you..........is what I would have said if i was a dick...well half a dick. You cant go from performing for mum to performing for some strangers. I had trouble with building confidence so I left magic...is what i would have said if I was a dick, well I guess I am officially a dick now. I started out by performing at school for people i dont know then I started performing at a cafe every couple of day then I headed down to London eye and performed, apparently you need a permit, I gave up........no seriously it costs alot, no! Just take it in stages. Now if you took in what I said about practicing then you should not worry about failure in front of a spectator, now would ya?

Practice you are doing wronghttp://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=24707

I am not the biggest fan of long posts, so I tried to make this short. but the above link is a great long post.

Dec 18, 2009
Good advice i would recommend expert at the card table by erdnase...although it is quite difficult to learn from it is free which is nice for the ammount of information you get

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
If you are just starting out in magic, then you don't need to worry about forking over $7.00 for one deck of playing cards. Buy regular Bicycles to start out because as a beginner, you WILL go through a lot of cards. Especially if you ARE practicing.

Card College and Royal Road are great reads and will really help out with the learning process of card magic.

DVDs I actually WOULD recommend Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights set. I mean, Vol. 1 starts you off with the glide, a basic sleight of hand manuver. And as long as you learn in the order you are supposed to, and not skip ahead, you should be ok.
Another DVD set would be Michael Ammar's Easy To Master Card Miracles vols 1-9. Here you will learn some of the great classics in magic including Ambitious Card, Cannibal Cards, Twisting the Aces and so forth.

And last but not least...use the forum on here and The Magic Cafe to get the help and advice you will need.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Jan 1, 2010
Another important thing might be if the person is looking to be a seroius peformer like maven or comedy like Finney.
Do they prefer to read or watch?

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
Another important thing might be if the person is looking to be a seroius peformer like maven or comedy like Finney.
Do they prefer to read or watch?

Well then I suggest looking into PRISM and 13 Steps for the mentalist route. Maybe some other mind magi out there would want to throw in their two cents and help a brotha out...

Wanna be like Finney? He has a great 3 DVD set out from L&L Publishing. But in reality, Finney started off in stand up comedy. So if you want chops like Finney, maybe take some classes on how to write for stand up or maybe some improv classes. Develop your true character. But also remember, people like Williamson, Mac King and Michael Finney all have a natural gift of comedic gab.

Mike

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results