Astonishing Trick!

Apr 26, 2009
hey guys,

lately i havent bought anything great...more of just experimenting with cards and doing same old tricks. im really interested in buying something new, but i want something that people will really remember. i currently perform stigmata and i think that is my strongest trick. im wondering if any of you know any really hard-hitting effects, that are not too expensive. any help would be appreciated!

thanks
max

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
This belongs in the Product Questions forum, where it will no doubt be moved.

Astonishing effects range. You need to be more specific. What genre, price range, artist, etc. If you want to cover all bases get Paul Harris' Art of Astonishment trilogy. But being more specific can help us help you greatly.

Ian

Dec 24, 2009
This just means you aren't doing a very good job performing, I know people that can perform biddle tricks better than stigmata and get more astonishment out of that.

You are asking for the easy and lazy way to try to get effects that can "impress" people without any real effort. Come on now are you really that lazy at magic?

Work on stuff you have, it can astonish anybody you just need to work on it.

Jul 14, 2008
I agreed with Mr. Jane. Work on the materials that you have at home and somehow, use your creativity to make an effect enjoyable.

Apr 26, 2009
sorry bout wrong section,

and im not lazy or anything, i perform tricks that get great reactions but lets be honest, how many people are gonna remember a biddle trick (no matter how great it looks) i just want a trick that people are gonna talk about...something that will get me noticed, preferably something card-related or impromptu, or very little set-up...and just by the way...im not the greatest magician, im currently unable to get mind blowing reactions from a biddle (unfortunately)

max

Jan 5, 2008
Oklahoma
Pixel by David Jade on Dananddave.com seems to be getting me some good reactions and its only $8. Don't listen to the criticism or the negativity that you'll find on most magic forums unless it's constructive. There's no law that says you have to be a professional magician to do magic. If it's a hobby and you're a novelist great! If you want to pursue a professional career, great! If you're not that creative of a person, guess what, neither am I, some people don't have a lot of creativity much like some people can't draw. Who cares where you put this in the forum, too much negativity. Hope you enjoy Pixel as much as I have if you choose to go that route, and keep trying to improve

Apr 26, 2009
hey man,

i use pixel a whole lot actually! it gets me good reactions, sometimes great, sometimes moderate, but ya its a sweet trick!

max

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
You want to get noticed and a crazy reactions

But you want it to be impromptu..and a card trick..
Jesus,even by these standards theres so much wrong with that idea

Apr 26, 2009
thanks for the criticism guys...i do think your being kinda negative but its neccessary i guess. and i just never performed the biddle well enough for anyone to freak out after showing them it...maybe its cuz im not that talented, maybe some other reason...i dont know. all im asking is for some good, hard-hitting effects...thats it...whatever you guys think is good, i would like to know

thanks
max

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
thanks for the criticism guys...i do think your being kinda negative but its neccessary i guess. and i just never performed the biddle well enough for anyone to freak out after showing them it...maybe its cuz im not that talented, maybe some other reason...i dont know. all im asking is for some good, hard-hitting effects...thats it...whatever you guys think is good, i would like to know

thanks
max

Your not getting it,you have to make YOURSELF hard hitting first,then the effect.
There has to be a balance or else youll still fluke.

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
LIT, try it. Its no joke

Hey guys...

Dan is 125% correct. I perform magic 4 nights a week and I use LIT 2 times a night in my gigs. This effect KILLS. You need to have this in your repertoire or Dan will punch you in the stomach.

Just kidding...you don't NEED to have this. Actually you do!

Just kidding x2, Dan will not punch you in the tum tum.

But seriously, this will be an effect that people will DEF remember you by!

Mike

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK

thanks
max

What Visualartist is saying is that you can spend as much money as you want on magic tricks, and buy the best effects out there, but you will still get the same reaction unless you learn to present a trick well. Maybe, rather than buying more tricks, a better purchase would be something like Darwin Ortiz's book Strong Magic (which I don't own, but have heard only good things about). Rather than containing tricks, it's about the theory that will make your performance incredible, unless I'm very much mistaken. Don't just keep stocking up on new magic without getting the tricks you can already do to a level you're happy with though, that's something I reckon a lot of more experienced magicians would say they'd change if they started magic again.
Good luck ;)

Feb 16, 2009
South Bend, IN
sorry bout wrong section,

and im not lazy or anything, i perform tricks that get great reactions but lets be honest, how many people are gonna remember a biddle trick (no matter how great it looks) i just want a trick that people are gonna talk about...something that will get me noticed, preferably something card-related or impromptu, or very little set-up...and just by the way...im not the greatest magician, im currently unable to get mind blowing reactions from a biddle (unfortunately)

max

I am also relatively inexperienced and I often find that simple tricks will get good reactions if you keep the plot simple and the fiddling around to a minimum. Some audiences will go nuts over relatively easy tricks if you present them clearly and without confusing the audience.

A good example is the biddle trick. It is a really cool trick which offers a great effect with comparatively little sleight of hand. If you are not getting reactions from it, you should analyze why that it so. Are the audiences not following the plot? Are you complicating the process in any way? Do you rush through the trick instead of prolonging the impact?

There have been many threads talking about the biddle trick on the forums. Do a search, check them out and see if you get any new ideas.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS

thanks
max

Like stated previously, it's all about presentation.

I hate to use examples as points of argument, but:
The biddle trick has absolutely everything you're asking for.
Card-related, impromptu, hard-hitting, easy (technique-wise), astonishing. Plus, I think it's good.

I've made reputations with the biddle trick. I've had people come back to me weeks after a performance of the biddle trick and asking me about it. It's one of my favourite effects and it pains me to see statements like yours, so I'm going to show you why it is everything you are asking for.

Let's break it down when we get to the build to the climax.

-The Revelation of the Card
"How could the magician possibly know what card I am thinking of?"

The card was a free choice. A free choice. The spectator had it completely hidden. The magician had his back turned. There is no way to know what card was.

The revelation of a card by itself has been used many times by countless magicians as an astonishing reputation maker that have had people talking.

-The vanish of the Card
"How could the card possibly disappear?"

The audience knows you were holding 5 cards. Suddenly, there are 4. Another spectator has the cards handed to him, the magicians sleeves are checked. Nothing. A clean vanish. A perfectly clean vanish. Do you know how hard a perfectly clean vanish is to acheive? Do you know what kind of psychological impact this has? Ask any coin magician. It KILLS.

The vanish of an object by itself has been used many times by countless magicians as an astonishing reputation maker that have had people talking.

-The Relocation
"How could the card possibly end up in the deck that I have been holding for the last minute? He hasn't even been near me since then and I have been keeping a tight hold on this."

The spectator was given the deck by the magician who was left with the 5 cards. The spectator was holding the deck the entire time. You don't go near them. There is literally no way you could have gotten the card there while they were holding the deck.

This kind of placement is similar to, and potentially stronger than "Chosen card to spectators pocket", which by itself has been used many times by countless magicians as an astonishing reputation maker that have had people talking.

There you have it. 3 astonishing effects in one. If you can't make this a "mind-blowing" trick, then you'll have a damn hard time making any easy, impromtu, card related trick a "mind-blowing" trick.

I'll finish with a quote from Juan Tamariz that every single performing artist in any performing art should apply to any presentation of any kind:

"A TIP
My advice at this point would be to read no further, to throw this book away and to start practicing, thinking and working out your patter, subtleties and presentation for this miraculous routine.

A LAMENT
I realize that, as I feared, you haven't paid any attention and are still reading.

A WARNING
It's up to you."
(Tamariz, Juan. Mnemonica. 2003. pg. 81)

Peace.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I just want to second Strong Magic and clear up the biggest mis-conception with it.

The first 10 (ish) pages are theory. The other 350+ are not theory based. They are techniques you can use to strengthen your magic, your character, and the way you work with your audience.

Everyone says it's a book on theory, but it really isn't, it's much better than theory. Theory leaves you with the feeling of, "Okay, great...how do I do that though?" as opposed to Strong Magic which answers every question from strengthening effects all the way to picking the right spectators to help you.

If you want hard hitting tricks, do as VisualArtist said (and Dan White seconded) and be entertaining yourself. It may sound harsh, but the names of magicians you remember are names instead of effects because they left an impact on you.

Just a few thoughts.

Apr 26, 2009
hey guys,

WOW pretty unanimous advice here...and thank you all for it!

Dan-i'll check out LIT

Other people- I'll check out Strong Magic

and thank you all for the advice again...maybe working on my presentation will help. actually, it will definitely help. i'll work on my presentation and i'll tell you guys some other time if my reactions got better...which they (hopefully) will!

thank you all again!

max

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results