Mr. Jane is Sherlock?

Dec 24, 2009
For all of those who care enough or curious enough to actually check out this thread then you will indeed be wondering what I am talking about.

Well I am Sherlock and this little test was to simply experiment and pass time by as I reached my time for military training. Please excuse this little game I have played with any of you.

This was like I said an experiment to see how some of the people reacted to somebody with the same views and thoughts but one claiming to be good at it non professionally and the other claiming to be a professional.

Everything I said is true about my beliefs, and yet as Sherlock I received some nasty private messages talking about me being a vulture and things of the nature telling me to stop being such a ninny about my advice.

Yet my professional character was met with some incredible praise, many private messages and MSN talk of how to achieve certain things professionally and routine wise. Some of the same people who trashed me privately were now asking for advice.

So funny how things changed, because of some self proclaimed "nonsense."

In case you are confused about the little tinychat conversations you may have had, please say hello to my cousin Alex. He has some interesting thoughts and he was of course someone that was loving to play in my experiment.

So what did this test prove? Well some of you are some real jerkoff's in a way that your ignorance almost blinded me and just about made me piss my pants with your comments.

This also tested out first impressions with people, while first impressions gave off a positive vibe with some as Sherlock those same thoughts with Mr. Jane were met with negativity. This was very interesting as somebody like a buddy of mine as Sherlock was somewhat harsh to me as Mr. Jane.

Make the best first impression you can kiddies.

In case you were wondering even further my real persona is that of Mr. Jane. 25, actually perform professionally currently and will be heading off to the Navy today for basic training.

I do apologize for the deception I have given off. It was simply something like I said to pass the time. Interesting oh how so interesting.

Best of Luck to you all in your endeavors.

You know i was having doubts about you, it was kind of weird that you came here and already knew what to say and do. :)
Now im just kinda baffled about this, not sure which one is which and how to react to your next posts :).

Anyway not sure about if i fell into the total ass category but still i wish you the best!

Mikk.

PS: 700'th Post, 77 to go until 777 :).

You know i was having doubts about you, it was kind of weird that you came here and already knew what to say and do.

im not sure what you mean by this comment.
why cant a new comer know as much about magic as someone who has been on the forums since day one? its all about real experience.

or are you talking about how he knew alot about the forums or something?

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Wow, that was the most condescending post I've read in a while. Although your main idea is interesting, it seems you did it just to be able to tell the "kiddies" where to go and how to get there.

:rolleyes:

Jul 13, 2009
Like he didn't before? :p

Anyway, like I said before in an other thread, good luck and for gods sake don't drown. FYI the mentioning of you going into the military during a tinychat gave ya away to me :p. Not many youngins going into the military.

Anyway best of luck and you are in thoughts and prayers.

im not sure what you mean by this comment.
why cant a new comer know as much about magic as someone who has been on the forums since day one? its all about real experience.

or are you talking about how he knew alot about the forums or something?

The fact that he came to the forums and wasnt shy at all and knew what buttons to press on people, what is the main debate about here and so on. Basically he fit in too perfectly.

Mikk.

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
Wow never saw that coming. Will not really because Mr. Jane was active when I was gone so I didn't pay attention to you. Well good luck and God Bless You.

Interesting, I did notice how many of "Mr. Jane's" post were very similar to yours but I also noticed that you hadn't made any post's in a while though you did give an explination as to why. Interesting, didn't see it coming.

Just shows you how deceiving the internet really is...I don't really know what to think, seems like a pointless thing to do really.

Dec 24, 2009
For those saying this was stupid or pointless you fail to see the point I made out.

People will flock to those who claim to be a professional and possess the wisdom that is only self proclaimed. I had more respect from other people claiming to be Sherlock from the actual real performers. Yet because of some arrogance shown through my Mr. Jane persona the real performers on here showed hostility, not necessarily extreme but they wanted to put me in my place.

You hopefully understand that someone who is more active and boasts about giving advice, isn't necessarily the best source.

Best of Luck, and time to get ready for bed so I can wake up at 4 o' clock.

For those saying this was stupid or pointless you fail to see the point I made out.

People will flock to those who claim to be a professional and possess the wisdom that is only self proclaimed. I had more respect from other people claiming to be Sherlock from the actual real performers. Yet because of some arrogance shown through my Mr. Jane persona the real performers on here showed hostility, not necessarily extreme but they wanted to put me in my place.

You hopefully understand that someone who is more active and boasts about giving advice, isn't necessarily the best source.

Best of Luck, and time to get ready for bed so I can wake up at 4 o' clock.

I don't know about anyone else, but that made no sence to me. I am not saying this in a rude way because I really want to understand this and am curious towards the explination. Are you saying that by being hostile it proves that others are eager to put you in your place regardless of your experience or wheather you are a professional?

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
I don't know about anyone else, but that made no sence to me. I am not saying this in a rude way because I really want to understand this and am curious towards the explination. Are you saying that by being hostile it proves that others are eager to put you in your place regardless of your experience or wheather you are a professional?

I think he was trying to show how we judge people by what we are told, and we will judge two people completely differently just because of one snippet of information, never actually stopping to notice that those two people are one and the same. First impressions really count for a lot.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Wait... That second post confused me.
First i thought it was ""make two accounts, tell the same info but with one guy being a pro and one being a novice, see what people think"
But now... he says it is "make two accounts, tell the same info but one says it arrogantly and boastfully while the other tells it with a humble and attitude of humility." Well of course people would be hostile towards the arrogant one... No one likes a boastful prick no matter his experience or knowledge. If Chris Kenner was a douche and told everyone how awesome he was and how wrong everyone else was, we would still hate him.

Wait... That second post confused me.
First i thought it was ""make two accounts, tell the same info but with one guy being a pro and one being a novice, see what people think"
But now... he says it is "make two accounts, tell the same info but one says it arrogantly and boastfully while the other tells it with a humble and attitude of humility." Well of course people would be hostile towards the arrogant one... No one likes a boastful prick no matter his experience or knowledge. If Chris Kenner was a douche and told everyone how awesome he was and how wrong everyone else was, we would still hate him.

My sentimates exactly, I am confused on how this was productive

Mar 29, 2008
Okay - Sherlock, I like you and you are my friend so this is going to hurt me as much as it will you. I have to say it, because I have bite my tongue for long enough. However, this post has created a lack of trust by those that claim they have vast experience in the field, and looks like it has started a movement where I have to bicker with people to "prove" myself in my words. In other words, Jon is going to have to finally create a status button so people know whose words they can trust. Bad move Sherlock - so let me "defunk" the myth on this one.

Mr. Jane came across as a new guy, you didn't take relationships into consideration. There are times you post and I want to tell you that you don't know what you are talking about, but my relationship with you prevents me from being overly truthful. In other words, I bite my tongue because I know who you are. I waited for 3-4 posts from Mr. Jane before I contributed - but as soon as I read your posts I wanted to tell you how off base you were. Your recommendations and essays, although filled with bits that were accurate, had no traces of someone what has worked. Actually, I even called you out on it when you didn't support the guy trying to stop exposure...which I know you are not for?! At least that is what you have said to me in person - so where you really being yourself?

So, as in real life - you don't yell at the guy that first comes in the door, AND I wanted to correct you on some of your posts. I read all of them, and they had the familiar tone to them. It didn't shock me when you said it was you, actually, I said...NOW IT MAKES SENSE. Because something rubbed me the wrong way about your claim of experience but the way you wrote. However, I didn't want to be rude.

Did you ever think that your advice was NOT exactly the same...and that your "newness" to the forum was allowing people to feel you out?

I think it is sad that you played games with people, and created a lack of trust in the forums. As guys like William Draven, Steerpike, Randomwrath, Silver Fang, and a **** load of others, including myself - work hard to have people understand that our advice is not from opinion...but from real world advice.

SO REALLY, these are the people you attacked with your self centred game. I am seriously embarassed for you, as all you proved is it is hard to trust people on forums. So, really the only people you hurt are those that are seeking the right info, but not knowing who they can rely on.

Nice experiment...did you really consider the outcome? I hope not, because really you have created more issues based around trust, than teaching anyone anything really. It was a smug move on your behalf. I hope now that you are in the Navy, they teach you about honor, and character, as the guy I knew before they left wouldn't have caused such a problem for his own ego.

Good luck at sea Sherlock. You will be missed, Mr. Jane will not.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results