Nervous of doing the Pass

Oct 12, 2009
Navarre, Florida
One thing that works for me is to angle your body and the deck slightly towards different spectators in the group as you are talking then you make the pass as you are rotating your body and deck from one spectator to the other. Just the movement of the deck along a horizontal plane makes a pass much harder to see and you are moving your whole body along with it and managing eye contact.

If they are really burning a hole into your hand you can always sneeze into their eyes and do the pass as they wipe the spit off their face.

Jan 31, 2010
Personally I have the card replaced as if I was going to do a Spread Pass, but perform the classic while I'm squaring the deck. It motivates my hands being together, as well as the movement. A bit of misdirection thrown in just in case, but I've yet to be called out on this method. It's all about being casual and relaxed.

Sep 24, 2007
Do you know EXACTLY what you're going to say BEFORE and AFTER you do the pass? It should flow perfectly, there shouldn't be a gap in the conversation where you think "what am I gonna do next." This stopping in conversation and action, this break in the flow of the routine when most people perform controls, is a dead giveaway that you're doing a move.

You need to actually consider what's going to cover your pass. Think these things through at home before you go out, know what joke or phrase will cover the pass. don't make it up on the spot, or it probably isn't going to work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9RqaNc_PN0

see how well his pass is covered- the technique doesn't need to be perfect, or even close.

Do you know EXACTLY what you're going to say BEFORE and AFTER you do the pass? It should flow perfectly, there shouldn't be a gap in the conversation where you think "what am I gonna do next." This stopping in conversation and action, this break in the flow of the routine when most people perform controls, is a dead giveaway that you're doing a move.

You need to actually consider what's going to cover your pass. Think these things through at home before you go out, know what joke or phrase will cover the pass. don't make it up on the spot, or it probably isn't going to work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9RqaNc_PN0

see how well his pass is covered- the technique doesn't need to be perfect, or even close.

that was cool lol. "it is just a card at this point!"

Apr 26, 2010
...practice the dribble pass and the jiggle pass, i so these in richard kaufman's "on the pass" ...i use these two passes all the time i perform card magic,pretty effective too even if surrounded(close-up magic) by spectators ...i don't recommend the cascade control or spreadpass, the cascade control will need a lot of practice,while the spread pass is not so smooth...

Last edited by a moderator:
May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
I fully understand your situation

I fully understand your situation and why you want to use the pass. It is something everyone needs to get down.

Here are all of my tips:

whenever you are nervous preforming a slight maybe you need to practice a bit more to get more confidence with it

with the pass I do it while making general conversation, not while I am doing something with the deck, I make EYE CONTACT with my spectator and then do it with out looking at my hands,

***The spectators look where you look, just like if someone is randomly looking up at the sky, other people passing by will look up too.

And try to tilt the deck on its side while you do this and with your left hand (If you normally handle the deck in your left) use your wrist and make a circular motion, you'll find it is a lot easier and smoother to do the whole move.

It may seem like you are flashing but do it in the mirror and I guarantee you will smile at your handy work.;)

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
I fully understand your situation and why you want to use the pass. It is something everyone needs to get down.

Could you PLEASE tell me why?

Seriously i dont care what some "pro" magicians say, there have been SO much work done on the shift over the last 100 years and other controls as well that the pass really is not the best way to control a card, i seriously think its a pretty bad way of controling a card.

No matter how good your pass is, i have seen some of the "masters" on the pass do it, and i tell you what.. I DID SEE IT! No matter how good it is, if someone is looking at it they will see something, maybe not what you did but that you did something.

Why not use a control that really is invisible and more practical?

Lee Ashers loosing control is a good control.

Here is a quote from Lees site :

"How long have you been practicing a move like the classic pass?

It's been over twenty years, and I'm still working on mine! One day I'll master it, but until then, the Losing Control is my preferred way to control a card to the top."

See? Lee Asher has crazy good card skills and after 20 years hes still working on it. Is it really worth it?

Another good control is Gregory Wilsons Backstage pass, there you have a pass that is really invisible. AND easy!

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
Could you PLEASE tell me why?

Seriously i dont care what some "pro" magicians say, there have been SO much work done on the shift over the last 100 years and other controls as well that the pass really is not the best way to control a card, i seriously think its a pretty bad way of controling a card.

No matter how good your pass is, i have seen some of the "masters" on the pass do it, and i tell you what.. I DID SEE IT! No matter how good it is, if someone is looking at it they will see something, maybe not what you did but that you did something.

Why not use a control that really is invisible and more practical?

have a freaking trophy, you can see a pass, great freaking job.

You seriously think the pass is supposed to be burned? You think anyone who knows anything about the move does it without misdirection?

The pass is hands down the QUICKEST way to control a card, meaning that it requires the least amount of misdirection. You only have to misdirect for a fraction of a second, and that's why it's worth it.

The pass should go hand in hand with misdirection. Hell, any sleight should go hand in hand with misdirection. No clue why people think sleights need to be burnable and completely angle proof for them to be good. Please, learn a bit about the fundamentals of magic before disregarding one of the most powerful tools of a card worker.

Watch any pro magician who performs with the pass live. Find me one example where they don't use misdirection while doing the pass to a live audience.

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
have a freaking trophy, you can see a pass, great freaking job.

You seriously think the pass is supposed to be burned? You think anyone who knows anything about the move does it without misdirection?

The pass is hands down the QUICKEST way to control a card, meaning that it requires the least amount of misdirection. You only have to misdirect for a fraction of a second, and that's why it's worth it.

The pass should go hand in hand with misdirection. Hell, any sleight should go hand in hand with misdirection. No clue why people think sleights need to be burnable and completely angle proof for them to be good. Please, learn a bit about the fundamentals of magic before disregarding one of the most powerful tools of a card worker.

Watch any pro magician who performs with the pass live. Find me one example where they don't use misdirection while doing the pass to a live audience.

Haha, ok.... lol

Since your answer was pretty rude my answer is going to be to.

"Please go and read some more magic books if you think the pass is the quickest way to control a card"

No but seriously. I never said that the pass shouldnt be done without missdirection, it should always be done with missdirection.

But the thing is.. The guy was nervous of doing the pass, and there is always a small reason for being nervous when doing the pass because if someone is looking it will be seen.

Yes use missdirection, but if your performing for a larger group there is always a chance that someone is burning the deck.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
But the thing is.. The guy was nervous of doing the pass, and there is always a small reason for being nervous when doing the pass because if someone is looking it will be seen.

Yes use missdirection, but if your performing for a larger group there is always a chance that someone is burning the deck.

If you can't get your audience's attention off the deck for a fraction of a second, then either the misdirection needs to be stronger, or the audience member in question is in the know. I understand that there are spectators who will watch the deck no matter what, but if that's the case, "change the moment". [refer to luke dancy's post on the first page]

anyway, i'm interested to know what control takes less time to execute than a pass.

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
Miller Cascade Control? I personally use that way more than the pass. However, the pass should still be learned as it is a foundation. Not that I would know much...

-G

Feb 16, 2010
In all honesty, the pass is one of the worst uses for controlling a card in the context of controlling a card. The main reason being that the pass is situated in the worst possible moment for a control to take place. I only use the pass as a vanish or an appearance, but never to control a card to the top or bottom of the pack. I would suggest using something else for a control.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
The pass is situated wherever you situate it. That comes down to the structure of the trick, not the sleights used in the trick.

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
If you can't get your audience's attention off the deck for a fraction of a second, then either the misdirection needs to be stronger, or the audience member in question is in the know. I understand that there are spectators who will watch the deck no matter what, but if that's the case, "change the moment". [refer to luke dancy's post on the first page]

anyway, i'm interested to know what control takes less time to execute than a pass.

Bedwell´s Dribble toss control would be one, You dribble the cards on to the table and as you do you throw the card into the dribble, you or the spectator can square up the pack and give it a shuffle.

Gregory Wilsons Backstage pass or some variation of Swain´s Dummy pass. Technicaly it is a pass, but it really is invisible and can be done surrounded. No worries, you just do it.

Lee Ashers loosing control would be another alternative, you should see Lee do it when its done smooth it looks amazing.

Well there are lots of more controls, I know that there are several in some Harry Lorayne books, Jennings also has some.

The great thing is that all theese can be learned in just a few days if you give it some practice, and then you can spend your time on more important things in magic, or why not go out and enjoy life?

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
Its pretty funny that alot of amatuer magicians talks so highly of the pass, when eve some true masters of it agrees that the pass is not the best way to control a card, or even a good way to do so.

Aaron Fisher and Michael Ammar has some crazy passes, but i know that they dont like it as a control performing in the "real" world for paying people.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
and David Stone and Joshua Jay have average passes and they use it for their performances.

I have an average pass, and I use it every single time I perform, which is at least twice a week, and none of my audiences detect, let alone suspect that anything has happened. As far as they're concerened, the card is in the middle.

Not that I don't only use the pass either, it's just more appropriate for more situations that I find myself in.

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
and David Stone and Joshua Jay have average passes and they use it for their performances.

I have an average pass, and I use it every single time I perform, which is at least twice a week, and none of my audiences detect, let alone suspect that anything has happened. As far as they're concerened, the card is in the middle.

Not that I don't only use the pass either, it's just more appropriate for more situations that I find myself in.

Sure, the pass can be a great tool.

Just saying its much nicer to have nothing to worry about, especially when performing for larger groups.

Its pretty funny that alot of amatuer magicians talks so highly of the pass, when eve some true masters of it agrees that the pass is not the best way to control a card, or even a good way to do so.

Aaron Fisher and Michael Ammar has some crazy passes, but i know that they dont like it as a control performing in the "real" world for paying people.

You got to understand however, that these guys have been doing cards numerous years. They have other tried and true methods to control a single card. I know when I was at a Joshua Jay Lecture, he used a classic pass to control some cards to the top, flew right over many magician's heads. ^^, my point, I think many people give too much credit to the cleverness of the "Real" World spectators. If you have a flawless pass, then by all means use that control.

Personally I end up using the classic quite a bit, even when I am between tricks instead of flourishing I am doing classic passes and playing with the cards. I have found this conditions my participants when I actually go and do the move, it looks natural and something that I would normally do.

Just some thoughts.

Feb 16, 2010
Let me ask a quick question.. How many of you are workers?

And have you been in magic long enough to understand the structure of tricks?

Just an honest poll.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results