Which tricks use the pass?

basically any trick where you need to control a card.
you can use it as a color change
control,
i use it for alot of things.
nothing really in particular. i use it if someone is like. let me put the card in. im like ok

Sep 1, 2007
I think the question could have been better phrased: "Which tricks require the use of a pass?"

Truth be told, not that many. Ironically, the school of thought that distances method from effect is pretty much opposed to using it in your example, the ACR. The best example I can think of where a pass is 100% necessary is Dr. Daley's "Cavorting Aces"

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MEqF00O5Bg (for the record, not me!).

Cheers,
David.

Dec 20, 2009
Australia
I think the question could have been better phrased: "Which tricks require the use of a pass?"

Truth be told, not that many. Ironically, the school of thought that distances method from effect is pretty much opposed to using it in your example, the ACR. The best example I can think of where a pass is 100% necessary is Dr. Daley's "Cavorting Aces"

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MEqF00O5Bg (for the record, not me!).

Cheers,
David.

Yeah i guess it could have been better phrased. I'm learning this sleight and practicing it right now. Thanks for your reply!

Oct 12, 2009
Navarre, Florida
The pass has a lot of utility to it so its used in a lot of tricks and can be used in other tricks that may not require it. Its just a matter of your preference.

I think something useful to keep in mind is the pass can be used to control multiple cards to the top and bottom of the deck at the same time.

Whatever is below the break goes to the top and whatever is above goes to the bottom. So you can use it to move multiple selections to different areas of the deck in one movement. Pretty sexy. If you know the automatic jog from expert card technique it works great with the turnover pass because you can show the top card of the deck, execute the turnover pass to show them the bottom card of the deck and then boom selection 1 is on top and selection 2 is second from the bottom.

What ever type of pass you use, you need to have a reason for doing whatever it is supposed to look like you are doing. This really applies to everything you do. I've been making a point to have a reason for every single movement I make in my magic. Something easy enough to do is execute the pass as you move to tap it on the table or your leg or whatever to show the card is genuinely 'lost' in the deck. Whatever you do, don't just be like "doop de doo ok, your card is in the middle and now I'm going to turn the deck over for absolutely no reason at all and...SHAZAM IS THAT YOUR CARD?! OMG I KNOW IT IS BECAUSE I AM A WIZARD!". Any inexplicable movement is going to make you look bad.

Dec 20, 2009
Australia
Yeah I totally agree. I would never use it as a standalone trick or something pointless. I just did a trick I was making up on the spot and she said that she would see everything. I started talking to her, did the pass did a top palm and made it a card to wallet. She was dumbfounded... lol.

Dec 24, 2009
New Jersey
It's sort of a silly question to ask, like saying "what construction projects require the use of a drill?" A lot of them do, and a lot don't, and those that do use it can be circumvented with the use of another sleight.

Sep 1, 2007
...well t0aster...some of them! Check out my post for an example of a trick that DOES require a pass - no substitution will work.

Cheers,
David.

Dec 24, 2009
New Jersey
...well t0aster...some of them! Check out my post for an example of a trick that DOES require a pass - no substitution will work.

Cheers,
David.

I see the video and I'm not convinced that a pass is necessary. Two palms, one top palm and one bottom, and one slip involving two cards can duplicate the effect. A bit more complex, but doable. I would use a pass though...

Sep 1, 2007
ummmm....I'm not sure you've thought that one all the way through mate ;) Although I'd love to be proven wrong if you'd like to throw up a video :D

Sep 6, 2009
Cincinnati
It's sort of a silly question to ask, like saying "what construction projects require the use of a drill?" A lot of them do, and a lot don't, and those that do use it can be circumvented with the use of another sleight.

tru dat. This thread was not needed!

P.S. are you t0aster from MagicHat?

Feb 16, 2009
South Bend, IN
I see the video and I'm not convinced that a pass is necessary. Two palms, one top palm and one bottom, and one slip involving two cards can duplicate the effect. A bit more complex, but doable. I would use a pass though...

That is a lot of work for a very straightforward effect. A pass is simply the most elegant solution for the cavorting aces.

There is also a trick called smiling mule by Roy Walton, which has to use at least one pass. I believe many of Roy Walton's tricks use the pass (and not as a single card control). If there are any Fans of Roy Walton, they should step up to this thread.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
The pass is just a control or color change. It is not required in anyway.
But to answer your question, if you really want to check out tricks which REQUIRE the pass, then check out the work of Zenneth Kok. Magician from where I was born and raised, not that well known between the international world, but boy was he intense when he was at his prime.

Apr 13, 2010
pass at red by Roy Walton, awesome use of the pass and enough misdirection for even those that arent that confident to get away with it.

Feb 16, 2010
When I am driving and I see a sign that states "Do not pass" I tend to use a different control... When a sign says "Pass with care" I tend to make sure that I am not flashing.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results