Magic Banned at School!

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
I sometimes have this problem as well. Last year, they tried to ban cards, but it didnt stick well, basically because the principal knew me and my friend, so he allowed us to have them. Well, one day just like 3 weeks ago, it was a 1/2 day at school, and I was in Spanish. The teacher didnt have anything for us to do and sat at her desk while everyone had cell phones and iPods out. So I decided to pass some time by practicing sleights (nothing noisy or disturbing), keeping to my own business. But as soon as she saw me with them, she took them, even though it isnt a rule, and it made me mad because of the phones and ipods. She even knew I did magic, but I reckon she dislikes me. I still havent gotten them back. Whew, one day, she had the nerve to ask me ifshe could see something. :mad::mad::mad::mad: . Such hypocrites aggravate me. Well anyways, back to you. I would like to hear the reasons, but just find a loophole. Like mentioned earlier, look into coin magic, cause they cant take your money.

technically hey arnt allowed to even take your cards away

Nov 7, 2009
Ive had rubberbands taken off me in class when they were around my wrist and i wasnt even touching them nevermind performing magic with them...

Ive had cards taken of me in a lesson of free time where students were fighting and passing notes but they werent stopped....

I was kicked out the libary for showing card tricks to my friend. We wernt even makig noise though....

And I also have some stories about coins that I will post soon in a diffrent thread...

Mar 3, 2009
the only reason that they ban cards from school is because of gambling but when i perform tricks i do it to my teachers classmates and friends but i here were your comming from they should just unbam them like one of my friends he asked the principle if he could do some magic for him and he said yes so now the principle gave him a pass to bring cards to school.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
also,maybe the smart thing to do first was to ask permission? Think of that yet?
Usually teachers and staff are alot more willing to allow you to do certain things if you ask for their permission. Which you do need.

Sep 6, 2009
TIP : Have a mental photography deck and a normal deck. Play with your normal deck and when you see them coming, switch it for a mental photography deck. Then make the face and back disappear

"I can't possibly gamble with this, can I?"

Sep 1, 2007
lol schools have gone just too far these days

lol i is a rebel!!

technically hey arnt allowed to even take your cards away

Yes they are. Teachers are allowed to confiscate property.

TIP : Have a mental photography deck and a normal deck. Play with your normal deck and when you see them coming, switch it for a mental photography deck. Then make the face and back disappear

"I can't possibly gamble with this, can I?"

Or you could just put the ****ing cards down and stop trying to be clever.

Jan 6, 2010
It's a shame that schools have to ban particular items. Since I have to follow the rules in the student handbook AND the teacher handbook, it really doesn't matter at all that I enjoy doing card magic too! I can't even do a few tricks for my students, so I know just how you guys feel. I guess rules are just a part of life. In my classroom during my lunch period, I sometimes do a little card practice, but if the door opens, I ditch the cards. My students don't know anything about my efforts in magic.
I am glad to hear that so many of you are doing magic. Schools should be happy you are doing something really COOL. Believe me--magic is cool!
For the record, I've been teaching for 25 years. Trust me. I know all about rules!

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
It's a shame that schools have to ban particular items. Since I have to follow the rules in the student handbook AND the teacher handbook, it really doesn't matter at all that I enjoy doing card magic too! I can't even do a few tricks for my students, so I know just how you guys feel. I guess rules are just a part of life. In my classroom during my lunch period, I sometimes do a little card practice, but if the door opens, I ditch the cards. My students don't know anything about my efforts in magic.
I am glad to hear that so many of you are doing magic. Schools should be happy you are doing something really COOL. Believe me--magic is cool!
For the record, I've been teaching for 25 years. Trust me. I know all about rules!

Yes,its cool. Its perfectly fine to do but you have to ask permission first.
Its not cool if I start fiddling with cards while im at work right? Of course not.
So why would you take them out during school.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
You realize they aren't banning "magic" but the cards. Reason being is that they could see the cards as a form of gambling (which is what they are originally meant for.) Thus the school would then have kids gambling on their property. That's big legal no no. It will also cause fights and other problems.

So here is the solution: Just plain don't do magic at school. Save it for when you are at a friends house or at a party.

Apr 26, 2009
\So here is the solution: Just plain don't do magic at school. Save it for when you are at a friends house or at a party.

while this is an excellent idea, i much rather do magic for people other than my friends, i think it helps me get knnown and gets me gigs :D

anyway, to all of you who suggested coin magic...i hate coin magic. i find that most tricks are different versions of the same thing, and i just never got into it

i guess this means i either must get my folks to complain, or to branch to other types of magic...this should be interesting

thanks for the input,
max

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
while this is an excellent idea, i much rather do magic for people other than my friends, i think it helps me get knnown and gets me gigs :D

Obviously, school isnt the only place to perform for non-friends. And adults tend to hire more than classmates.
Try public areas like malls(with permission) or highlands,downtown,etc.

May 31, 2008
If they banned magic, say something, talk to somebody in charge, princicipal, vice principal, whoever. If they banned cards, deal with it.

The same thing happened to me in 6th grade. I was doing some card tricks and a counselor came up to me and said, "No cards at school." I was a little annoyed, but it was my first year in middle school and I was afraid of everyone.

Two weeks later there were two other 6th graders playing Black Jack (for money) and the same counselor didn't care. That made me mad, so I just decided to use cards anyway, and nobody said anything. Kind of weird.

Now I'm in high school, where you could bring a bomb and nobody would care. (Ok, maybe not a bomb) I don't perform magic in school anymore because, well, nobody wants to see magic. I actually told everyone that I don't do magic anymore. Now they know me as the punk rock guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
I think it's kinda stupid .... some people say that teachers think of gambling and stuff like that when they see cards.... what about playing or magic ... !!!???

If this happened to me, i will most definitely continue my magic when i want until they give a good reason, not just "magic is not allowed" or "Cards are not allowed". Whats the point of having a break if we can't do stuff like that.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I think it's kinda stupid .... some people say that teachers think of gambling and stuff like that when they see cards.... what about playing or magic ... !!!???

If this happened to me, i will most definitely continue my magic when i want until they give a good reason, not just "magic is not allowed" or "Cards are not allowed". Whats the point of having a break if we can't do stuff like that.

You're neglecting the fact that even if you aren't gambling with money or anything, Cards or anything like that can start a fight. Teenagers will generally fight over just about anything. Them not allowing cards or whatever, is essentially them preventing the fights from happening.

Jan 10, 2008
Gezz, I'm glad high school is just a memory for me. My school was the same way, although at the time I didn't perform magic at school. Me and my little click of friends would play this card game called Magic: The Gathering. (The irony kills me...) Over time the school outlawed the game, but never put it in their school guidelines pamphlet. It clearly stated that gambling was prohibited, but it didn't say anything about cards. So it got to the point where teachers started trying to take them away from me and my friends, however the second they did, we would just take them right back from the teachers. The teachers would get snooty with us and we would just say show us in the school guidelines that we can't enjoy a friendly game of cards amongst each other. They never could, so the argument mute.
Over time they did actually put no playing cards/trading card games in the rulebook. When they did, me and my friends started playing Dungeons and Dragons. :D Then the cycle continued.

What I don't get is why schools don't encourage individuality and automatically write you off if you're not into psychical education or extra-circular activities other than band.

High school reminded me of prision, and i'm personally glad to be away from all that.

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
You're neglecting the fact that even if you aren't gambling with money or anything, Cards or anything like that can start a fight. Teenagers will generally fight over just about anything. Them not allowing cards or whatever, is essentially them preventing the fights from happening.

Do you really think card magic can make a fight ... ? Can u describe me a scene where a fight would occur during a performance ... ?

And u saying "Teenagers will fight over anything" proves you are not a teen anymore, so let me tell you teens are humans , not monkeys .... ;)

May 31, 2008
teens are humans , not monkeys .... ;)

I would disagree, I've been a teenager for two (almost three) years now, and I honestly hate 90% (not an exact number) of people in my grade. They all seem to have no understanding of human emotions. They seem to the think the only way to communicate is threw screaming unfunny, profane, and mean jokes. I haven't lived a school day without being called a terrible name or being pushed. Sometimes I wonder if teens are really humans. Luckily, I hang out with people who understand what it means to be a human being.

Apr 26, 2009
lol your all so right about everything, and ya i hate about 95% of people...everyone is just so stupid!

i also used to play magic: the gathering...interestingly enough :p
but i dont think teens fight over everything, only the stupid ones do...and besides, nobody touches my arrcos/smokes/mirrors/tallys but me!!!!!!!

max

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results