Phenomenon!

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Everybody who has called it an American Idol for magicians, lets all compare the differences:

American Idol:
Large, public auditions which are then telecast as part of the show itself

Phenomenon:
Had open casting calls, however they were nothing like the American Idol ones, and I highly doubt that they will be broadcast along with the regular show.

thats all I have right now.

Wow...a PK Touch routine. How original. His stage persona was just okay, also. Criss knows what he's talking about.

Judging by his critique of that last performance, I think Uri will be the one who loves everyone.

EDIT 2: Okay, the physic madman. More entertaining than the first, but I agree with Criss; the performance was everywhere. The celebrity's name had NO connection to a bear trap at all, and he didn't offer any explanation either.

And personally, think Uri has no idea what he's talking about. I'm hoping he'll prove me wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Wisconsin
first performance was good, but nothing magicians haven't seen before.

physic madman reminded me somewhat of Penn from Penn and Teller. Very Loud. But all that build up for one reveal. I agree with Criss, I think Ross is what made that entertaining to watch.

This is turning out to be a show thats way more than I expected.

BTW the Uri interactive magic I chose the wavy lines. :)

Aug 31, 2007
interwebz
first performance was good, but nothing magicians haven't seen before.

physic madman reminded me somewhat of Penn from Penn and Teller. Very Loud. But all that build up for one reveal. I agree with Criss, I think Ross is what made that entertaining to watch.

This is turning out to be a show thats way more than I expected.

BTW the Uri interactive magic I chose the wavy lines. :)

edit :rather not let you see this!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2755

Phenomenon After Show Thread

Lets get a discussin going on.

Sep 2, 2007
yes..anyone who participated should have picked the 3 wavy lines...i never knew that Uri knew some stuff about subliminal messaging!
It was the star, apparently. I had the three wavy lines, as well -- I guess that's why I'm not on the show. :D

I thought Criss Angel, as a judge, was very impartial and objective -- Simon Cowell-esque, in a good way.

Although, the performances were long, the mentalist with the Russian Roulette Stapler performance was a phenomenon, pun intended -- I was scared for him. I'm voting for him 20 times, which I believe is the limit. :D

I'm going to hold my thoughts on Uri Geller and the show until next week, but there's room for improvement, as there always is.

Cheers,
JTM

Sadly, i was painfully dissapointed by it. With what i saw i could have made it on the show. Sticking your hand in a fox trap...come on now. The one thing i was impressed by though was the nailgun roulett. That was pretty cool. Im going to be thinking about that one tonight. Other than that, nothing impressed me. With the thing where carmen felt a touch, notice every time he told her to close her eyes his arm came across her. For the phonebook thing, i have a version of it called the dynamite book test, and its pretty much the exact same thing. Im hoping these next few weeks will show some more talent and actually impress me. Over all ill give it a 5/10 for this week

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
.... I thought the show wouldn't be set up like that... it kind of sucked. I was expecting so much more. I didn't think it'd be the mentalists american idol.... overall... disappointed

I think Criss Angel was dead-on. He gave a great unbaised critique of the trick and performance. I agreed with everything he said. Very brutally honest, and it's obvious he knows his stuff. I was actually dreading having him on the judging panel, but he's doing a perfect job.

Ryan

Oh, and the best performance of the night was by FAR Eran's Nailgun Roulette. Very captivating, dramatic and suspenseful. This guy is going to go far.

Lets get a discussin going on.

Ok, let's do it,
My Opinion,
I was somewhat disappointed. I didn't like the assistants, I think if anyything they should have used just audience members. Also I didn't like many of the effects. I thought the roulette one was good but the other ones seemed staged. (don't get mad just my opinion of how they came off) Also I didn't like uri's performance, mainly because I was thinking of the wavy lines but also they are internet polls who knows how many ways you can screw with them to make them what he wrote.
Rating; 1.5/5
Michael

P.S. This is a first for me I liked criss angel in the show. I thought he did much better judging. Uri was like paula abdul he just said it was great for almost all of them. (or at least the ones I saw)

Aug 31, 2007
interwebz
I was really hoping for something better...
All it was was some guys "claiming" to have real powers....that really irks me, i also heard from the man that Criss would be calling those fakes...and he really didnt....im just a little disappointed.........

Oct 20, 2007
I was extremely disappointed, i mean a show of that caliber, and their up there doing pk touches and Russian roulettes.... I expected new things invented by the performers and outstanding presentation, maybe i just set my standards too high up.... :(

Aug 31, 2007
interwebz
It was the star, apparently. I had the three wavy lines, as well -- I guess that's why I'm not on the show. :D

I thought Criss Angel, as a judge, was very impartial and objective -- Simon Cowell-esque, in a good way.

Although, the performances were long, the mentalist with the Russian Roulette Stapler performance was a phenomenon, pun intended -- I was scared for him. I'm voting for him 20 times, which I believe is the limit. :D

I'm going to hold my thoughts on Uri Geller and the show until next week, but there's room for improvement, as there always is.

Cheers,
JTM

i really like that performance of the Russian roulette... then a couple of minutes ago..i went into my basement and took a look at the 3 nail guns i could find in my step-dads shop...well now im rather diaspointed......

I have to say, I was expecting more. From a magicians perspective I found it rather bland and only one performer really stood out.

I'm going to go through all of the performers (I may not remember their names) and give you my opinion.

-Performer 1-
A well put together Pk Touches routine, but as I said, from a magicians perspective, it was nothing special. We have seen this many many times and although a good performance it really didn't stand out to ME as something extraordinary.

-Performer 2-
I felt he tried to mix too many styles of presentation into one. There was a mysterious side which seemed too forced. There was a dangerous side which I think is his "niche". And there was his funny side. I think the audience was laughing at Ross more than the performer.

-Performer 3-
This was the best performance, because it isn't something we see all that often. As Criss said, his performance was banned from T.V. I also liked the adaptation of using nail guns which is why I think he was allowed to use it on television. I loved his performance although I thought it sounded a little TOO scripted.

-Performer 4-
He really wasn't anything that special to me. I'm surprised he made it to the top 10 as I have seen performances like this from endless mentalists. It seemed so predictable and unexciting. I would have liked to see a little more flare.

As a magician, this show didn't really impress me, but I'm sure laypeople enjoyed this show and were amazed by the performers. I hope that they continue to be amazed.

Just my thoughts.

Mitchell

wpt1031

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Toledo Ohio
Jim Karol was very loud and very boring. I didn't find his act entertaing in the least. As for Gerry McCambridge and Eran Raven they were very good. I didn't get to see Ehud but his clip that I saw from eariler seemed good.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results