Walkaround Magic Opener?

Jan 19, 2009
whats you opener or advice for what to do when you walk up to some and ask them to see a trick.

I tryed yesterday to ask strangers if they wanna too see something, I did not ask many it was late and I am very nervous so I am trying to build up my confidence.

What do you do when you walk up to someone?

Sep 6, 2009
Introduce yourself. It builds up the rapport.

Try to study someone before you go up to them. See what kind of people they are.

Sep 2, 2007
Nova Scotia
So i take it you are walking up to people on the streets? if this is the case, start off by introducing yourself (name, and the fact that you are a magician)
an easy in is stating that you are not interested in the money, just practice and to amaze. I do this because most people start with the "he only wants my money" wall.

so in short. a simple hello, tell them what u do and that your not asking for money.

(but it's completely up to them weather they want to tip or not) ;)

Jan 10, 2008
Excellent advice Ace-Magic! When walking up to complete strangers on the street, it is wise to immediately give them a casual hello, and give your name and what your purpose is.
However, bear in mind that you will still get rejected constantly, but don't take it to heart. You will meet people occasionally who are either 1. busy, 2. paranoid, 3. simply claim not to like magic, or 4. all of the above.
Eventually, you will meet those carefree citizens who are open to the idea of watching your close up magic.
Just one solid piece of advice to you before I stop this post. No matter what, never walk up to a stranger with cards or props in hand; doing so will automatically send the wrong signals to people.

Sincerely,
David

Sep 2, 2007
Nova Scotia
thanks and you too, and also try to keep in mind what LLin had said as well. It helps to kinda know who you are walking up to, ( now dont stalk people) just look before you walk up, and change your routine accordingly.

Feb 28, 2008
If you flourish at all, usually you can tell who is interested or not. A few fancy fans and cuts often catches peoples eyes. From there, some times people just ask if I do magic, but most of them, when I see someone is interested, I just ask if they want to see a trick. I've never really run into people who thought I was out for their money.

Okay to get someone to say yes this is what I did when I started: I walk up to someone and say I'm doing a magic assignment (well I basically am) would you mind If I show you something? I have NEVER failed with that, reason being is if you ask someone to see something the aren't really bothered to but if you say it is for something they are happy to help, people love to help others and trust me I am still new to it all and I can say it has never got me rejected. But for an opener I would say the trick you are most comfortable with that you don't have to do a lot for... I used to do Invisible deck cause all the talking happens at a different time as the "moves" so I can just concentrate on one.
Hope this helps.
Mike

Dec 12, 2009
London Uk
Well I try to be in the corner doing flourishes then when someone looks interested I go on ther and introduce myself as a magician. But before all that I will try to scout my spectator, do they look open minded? Are they laughing? Do they smile when they look at my flourishes?

Be polite and have fun

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results