Stage Opener

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I´m having this show in march, well actually there are 4 since it will be all the wednesdays of march and it´s more like a stand-up/stage Magic since there could be 50-100 people

so this is the pre-list of routines (not in this order)

+Sure- a card trick opener explaining misdirection
+Torn- torn and restored card
+Avarice-my version of miser´s dream
+Twin Decks-a invisible deck routine
+Manipulation Routine-a card manipulation routine with xcm
+Prophet and Bill Switch- the name says it
+Distortion- this always hits hard
+Cups And Balls- the classic cups and balls!! people loves it
+Math Trick- a 4 digit prediction trick in a sealed envelope
+BlindHammer- a PK routine where I bend 3 spoons separately
+Card In ballon with final production or pressure- the title says it
+Little cigarrete manipulation then Floating Cigarrete (w/ Consu-M)- consu-m is a trick of mine with cigarretes
+thumbtip--I´ll think something out
+From Nothing and Apple Color Change (Maybe a routine with this, david stone type)
+Swallowing Toothpicks- the trick from Wayne Houchin
+Cookie Cutter- dan sperry´s sweet trick
+Mentalism trick--I´m still chossing what to do

but I really don´t know what could be a really great opener..now there is something to have in mind

+I don´t have any kind of magic shop near me so I can´t buy anything (besides I´m low on cash right now because of christmas)
+gotta be something flashy
+difficulty doesn´t matter to much since I got 1 1/2 month to get it down

so I really want to hear suggestions...also sugestions for the entire show would be really appreciated!!! feel free to ask any details regarding the routines or patters.

thanks again for your time!!

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
How about 'Smash and Stab'?! :}

Or at least, that's how I would open my act! :p

But out of the ones you suggested, hm...'Card in Balloon', but idk really.

You could modify it into 'Prediction in Balloon'...call a spectator up, have her say her name and hold balloon, pop balloon, folded paper inside, it says "Lets thank [insert her name here] for coming up here. Give her a round of applause!"

Something that I've came across from Luca's 'Though of Card in Balloon'.

Your version of 'Miser's Dream' sounds good, too! You could bring up how when everyone finds out you're a magician, they always ask you to create money...and the rest is history.

Hope that helps!

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Smash and stab works better as a closer.

How long is the show what is it about?

These things are important and often get overlooked. I feel that your show is more of an assortment of tricks rather than something with substance. Plus you have a lot of effects and things like torn and distortion may play very small for the environment.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Smash and stab works better as a closer.

How long is the show what is it about?

These things are important and often get overlooked. I feel that your show is more of an assortment of tricks rather than something with substance. Plus you have a lot of effects and things like torn and distortion may play very small for the environment.

the show is 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes....

well distortion is great to do in stand-up (I test it last night), and it really depends on how you play it, if I do the routine that comes in the DVD it really plays very small, but the way I do it is like a little story about how when I was starting doing magic I could only find a card that was similar to the one that was chosen and well..you get the idea

torn and restored is a follower for my card trick Sure? I found through test and error that works great together

thanks for your advice!!

Sep 5, 2007
I suggest using flash paper (some fire) to get attention. For example, invisible deck. After getting the "invisible deck" back from people, and use flash paper to appear a real invisible deck and reveal the card. This is a good way to get peoples' attention.
I tried this way, easy get everyone's attention!!
hope this help

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Ive mentioned this in a thread before, but an appearing bowling ball from paper bag is a great opener. Its easy and hard hitting (no pun intended)

I haven´t seen that before...mmm.. where can I learn it?

and I would really like something with fire, and also the splash trick sounds good!!

any more suggestions could be appreciated...about the show in general

you know I was also thinking about selling some merchandise, you know magic sets for kids or decks or things like that, although the show is intended for 16+ there are always kids...I already got the manager approval... in case I wanted to sell something

and about the promoting of the show I´m going out 2 days at week (the weekends is the whole weekend) so is more like 5 days at week and maybe call the newspaper to promote it or an interview mmm.. man I am inspired

more ideas!!

Jul 13, 2009
There is a very nice easy openner in "Theater of Mind" it's nice because it conditions the audience to clap. I would research this book a bit more before purchasing it though.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results